What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A zillion seeds aapeear ex nihilo, what the heck happened??

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone! :wave:

First of all, since it's my very first post of the year, a very happy new year 2019 to all of you, with lots and lots of beautifull strains to grow and propagate!

I've been working this current session on doing some Shirin Gol repro. Things were going all fine, with nice pheno variety when suddenly, one of the plant (this on was growing weird from the start) decided to produce seeds on her own. Indeed, it looks like every single flower is actually seed-bearing ! This is way beyond the scope of my hand-pollinization, and there are no visible source of pollen sisible anywhere on the plant, except for the few bananas that have shown up this last 2 or 3 days.

I have never ever had such a thing happening, never heard anything about that and I'm left scratching my head here...

HAs anyone ever experienced this ? What should I expect from the seeds produced ? This is so weird!

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Irie! :wave:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
You pollinated by hand in the same room where you're seeing these "extra seeds" ? If so, odds are pollen drifted on to the plant your seeing the "zillion" seeds in. I've had it happen to me.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings everyone and thanks for the insight,

You pollinated by hand in the same room where you're seeing these "extra seeds" ? If so, odds are pollen drifted on to the plant your seeing the "zillion" seeds in. I've had it happen to me.

Nope, I always do my hand pollinization out of the growing space and wait at least half a day before putting the plants back in. If that was the origin, all other plants in the grow space would be seed-bearing in such proportions, but it's only one plant out of 11.

Also male flowers can form, open and spread pollen then drop off.

Yup, but no male flowers have shown up until very recently and those haven't psread any pollen.

I've found male flowers in dried and cured flowers. Ones I never would have noticed during flower.

I've sampled some buds already, there are no visible sourc of pollen to be found, at all, anywhere.

Thinking more about it, I now remember it actually happened once before. That was with my very last 3 seeds of pure Uzbek. The 3 female plants developped what looked like normal buds, bud those were actually saturated with super-tiny seeds (1mm wide max), weel, more like aborts actually as none reach the point where they could be used. Again, in that case, there was no visible source of pollen.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen what you describe in this last post of yours a few times.

I'm pretty sure that it is the individual cultivar (plant) and it is not making seeds, per say, but it is producing infertile seed starts.

On the other hand, you also say you've had nanners over the last few days as well.
Seeds only take about 35-49 days to become completely mature, given proper nutrients. How quickly do you imagine those lil seeds abort things can be produced after pollenation? I'd guess pretty quickly so could be the result of those nanners you've seen pop up over the last few days.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
I'm pretty sure that it is the individual cultivar (plant) and it is not making seeds, per say, but it is producing infertile seed starts.

Yup, it's producing aborts indeed, although some seem willing to grow quite large. Wait and see, I guess I'll cut it down within a week or so.

On the other hand, you also say you've had nanners over the last few days as well.
Seeds only take about 35-49 days to become completely mature, given proper nutrients. How quickly do you imagine those lil seeds abort things can be produced after pollenation? I'd guess pretty quickly so could be the result of those nanners you've seen pop up over the last few days.

Nay, the aborts started to show up nearly 3 weeks ago while the nanners are barely a week old.
I've got some haze plant that is reclining on the Tajik, with buds touching each other. While the tajik is packed with aborts, haze is clean from any sign of seeds.

Pollen Fairy?

Yup, most logical explanation so far! ;)