What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lighting ?s

Earlmarne

So, 2 runs into my 7x11 flower room and Ive learned that.
1 2 de 1k lights on 5 ft centers leaves buds in the middle less than ideal.

2 I need to pull air out during lights out.

First question. Is there such an animal as a philips de green power bulb rated for 240v?
All I can find is ones rated for 400v
Second is, as stated Im running 2 1k solistek lights on 5 ft center. I want to have a light inbetween them. My options are run a 1k se with sealed hood with glass taken out, or grab a cheap 630 cmh off ebay.
What would you guys do?
Got all the bits to pull air out. Need to get a light in there and get my headbangers filled out asap

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Another 1000 would have them at 2.5' centers. That seems excessive.

your not illuminating 7x11 are you? I can't figure it out.

I presume the lamps are in a row. Much less light comes out the end of an illuminated pencil, than out the long sides. Many shades do nothing about this. Making single horizontal son lamps, useless in a square tent. I used to use 400s in double parabolic's and expect to cover 2x4 of canopy. Nothing like a square.

I'm not sure what you are doing, but a 3rd 1000 in that gap sounds a lot

Earlmarne

Another 1000 would have them at 2.5' centers. That seems excessive.

your not illuminating 7x11 are you? I can't figure it out.

I presume the lamps are in a row. Much less light comes out the end of an illuminated pencil, than out the long sides. Many shades do nothing about this. Making single horizontal son lamps, useless in a square tent. I used to use 400s in double parabolic's and expect to cover 2x4 of canopy. Nothing like a square.

I'm not sure what you are doing, but a 3rd 1000 in that gap sounds a lot
I guess that info would have helped.
I have a 5ftx10 scrog with lights 9 ft high. I shoot for 3 ft from tops when done stretching. Lights are in a row, 2.5 ft off the wall.

Earlmarne

Screw it, I ordered a cheap chinese 630 and some philips 930 bulbs.
Now if I could find philips bulbs for my de ballasts

WFAMFARMS

Maybe think about running the 10k bulbs in the cmh for increased potency? I have read several reports of the 10 k bulbs in the last couple weeks of flower producing higher test results.

Earlmarne

Maybe think about running the 10k bulbs in the cmh for increased potency? I have read several reports of the 10 k bulbs in the last couple weeks of flower producing higher test results.

Ive run 10k bulbs in my 1ks last 2 weeks on my last 2 runs. Not sure it makes a dif. Maybe on terpenes. Not sure

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Try running 1000 watt DE CMH bulbs in your thousands, I've got a DE CMH 630 running on 600 watts in a Gavita fixture and it's working fine, cheap Chinese bulb from Amazon.

Earlmarne

Try running 1000 watt DE CMH bulbs in your thousands, I've got a DE CMH 630 running on 600 watts in a Gavita fixture and it's working fine, cheap Chinese bulb from Amazon.

What issues do we run into running cmh on the hf ballasts?
Id be down to throw some bulbs in my 1ks then have 3 600 light sources. Probably should have done that in the first place

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
What issues do we run into running cmh on the hf ballasts?
Id be down to throw some bulbs in my 1ks then have 3 600 light sources. Probably should have done that in the first place

I don't think anyone knows for certain but they claim shorter bulb life with high frequency ballasts.

Some of the 315 watt CMH bulbs get used 40-50K hours but I can't imagine indoor weed growers worried about 5 years from bulbs anyway.
Pretty important if you run them lighting parking lots or stadiums and they cost a fortune to get up that high and change them.

You can get DE 1000 watt CMH and 945 watt also to run in your fixtures. I'm using the 630 in a 750 watt Gavita flex.

I have one of the new Nanolux DE CMH 1000's running and the 2-500 watt bulbs in the tube are way bright, the Nanolux bulb is double jacketed and $140 but there are $100 1000watt DE CMH bulbs on amazon and eBay.

I'd like to try the ceramic solutions 630 de that's 270 now.

Earlmarne

I don't think anyone knows for certain but they claim shorter bulb life with high frequency ballasts.

Some of the 315 watt CMH bulbs get used 40-50K hours but I can't imagine indoor weed growers worried about 5 years from bulbs anyway.
Pretty important if you run them lighting parking lots or stadiums and they cost a fortune to get up that high and change them.

You can get DE 1000 watt CMH and 945 watt also to run in your fixtures. I'm using the 630 in a 750 watt Gavita flex.

I have one of the new Nanolux DE CMH 1000's running and the 2-500 watt bulbs in the tube are way bright, the Nanolux bulb is double jacketed and $140 but there are $100 1000watt DE CMH bulbs on amazon and eBay.

I'd like to try the ceramic solutions 630 de that's 270 now.

Thanks Chunky, Im going to order up some bulbs for my de fixtures now

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
If you still need extra light in the room besides the 2-1000s you might want to give the cheap led flood lights a shot. I bought a few from amazon to use in my veg and I'm impressed with the brightness per dollar spent so far.

Amazon doesn't like to show you their cheap things from a search request and it took me a long time to find the cheap ones but so far they work fine.

These led flood lights are passively cooled and the big ones don't come with a plug on the end of the wires so you need to be able to wire a plug but they are 5-6 watts per dollar. Compared to about a 1 or 1.75 watts per dollar spent on CMH today.

I paid $8 more fore this fixture just 2 weeks ago and it's a beast that throws about the same amount of light as a 315 CMH in my veg room, $59 bucks today!

LED Flood Light Chunnuan, 300W,26000LUMEN 6000-6500K (Cold White), IP65 Waterproof,Outdoor Security Lights Garden Landscape Spot Lamp Super Bright Floodlight 110v

You can find these in other color temperatures but I prefer a higher K level in flower and veg and like the 6K.

I'm going to grab the 500 watt model for $89 soon and see if it will replace a conventional 600 watt MH I have in my veg.

I'm surprised that nobody has discovered them for weed growing yet.

I'm also running a 100 watt panel from the same company that was $25 and has many smaller leds on it but it's still bright, cool, and it comes with the plug wired on.

Earlmarne

Ive been eyeballing some of those cheap led panels.a buddy had one of my gb cuts under one and it bushed out really nice.
I got me a dual 630 ordered. Will be here next week.
Im going to make the switch over a couple runs. 2 light sources at 9 ft doest give me the coverage I was after. I think 4 630s would be ideal.
I really like the looks of them ceramic Solutions set ups and the price is right.
Dropped a lot of coin on these solis tek set ups wish I could trade em off

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Ive been eyeballing some of those cheap led panels.a buddy had one of my gb cuts under one and it bushed out really nice.
I got me a dual 630 ordered. Will be here next week.
Im going to make the switch over a couple runs. 2 light sources at 9 ft doest give me the coverage I was after. I think 4 630s would be ideal.
I really like the looks of them ceramic Solutions set ups and the price is right.
Dropped a lot of coin on these solis tek set ups wish I could trade em off

It's crazy how much the price dropped on the 1000 watt HPS DEs, they were $200 in the big hydrostores when I left Mass last year, now they are practically boat anchors as everyone goes to 630s.

I bet the CMH prices will crash too once people stop buying overpriced weed leds and move to the cheap new led street lighting fixtures.

Mostly I'm curious if the CMH or led improves the quality or even matches what I've been getting flowering with 6K MH 1000s all these years, time will tell...

Try the high K numbers on a few of the bulbs you buy, resin production and aroma is more better with them IMO.

Earlmarne

It's crazy how much the price dropped on the 1000 watt HPS DEs, they were $200 in the big hydrostores when I left Mass last year, now they are practically boat anchors as everyone goes to 630s.

I bet the CMH prices will crash too once people stop buying overpriced weed leds and move to the cheap new led street lighting fixtures.

Mostly I'm curious if the CMH or led improves the quality or even matches what I've been getting flowering with 6K MH 1000s all these years, time will tell...

Try the high K numbers on a few of the bulbs you buy, resin production and aroma is more better with them IMO.
I got a couple 10 k bulbs. Def think it raises my terpenes.

WFAMFARMS

Did you get the cmh bulbs for the 1000de fixtures? I'm curious to see how you like them as I am currently designing a large space and thinking of alternating hps and cmh down the row, but would like to get 1000de cm bulbs so the output is even instead of 1000, 630, 1000, 630, etc.......

After reading again did you get the 630de bulb to put in The 1000de fixtures? Why not just add one 630 cm h to the space between your 1000de and keep them running HPS?

Earlmarne

Did you get the cmh bulbs for the 1000de fixtures? I'm curious to see how you like them as I am currently designing a large space and thinking of alternating hps and cmh down the row, but would like to get 1000de cm bulbs so the output is even instead of 1000, 630, 1000, 630, etc.......

After reading again did you get the 630de bulb to put in The 1000de fixtures? Why not just add one 630 cm h to the space between your 1000de and keep them running HPS?

I got a dual 315 unit. Im going to run the 1ks as they are for now. Got philips 930s and that fixture is bright as hell.
Playing hell dialing in this room at the moment. The headbanger phenos I brought in are demanding a really high ec feed. That leads me to believe there is something wrong.

WFAMFARMS

Ok so your going to add the 630 between the two 1000's? I guess I was confused about the convo between you and chunkyPigs regarding the cmh bulbs running in the 1000De fixtures

Earlmarne

Ok so your going to add the 630 between the two 1000's? I guess I was confused about the convo between you and chunkyPigs regarding the cmh bulbs running in the 1000De fixtures

Yeah, Im running the 1ks with 630 in the middles. May end up with some more 630s and down the road to replace the 1ks but for now ill be running 2 hps and 1 630 for flower