What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Lately, I've been using ground turkey instead of ground beef sometimes for burgers, spaghetti, etc. It's cheaper, healthier and the taste isnt too different if you season it enough. Last night during the ravens/bengals game i just reheated some leftover deep dish pizza in the toaster oven. It was alright but couldnt make up for the disappointment i felt in seeing aj green score 3 tds, im going against him in one of my leagues.

I also have amari cooper on my team, and he only got 3 targets against the rams, i think carr only threw it 9 times all games to his wr's, preferring shorter passes to his backs and te's.
So yeah, seems like they could use WR help, but i guess the league might suspend martavis next week for weed yet again. I love the fact that he smokes but he needs to be smarter about evading tests or just not indulging at all; this is like his 3rd or 4th weed related suspension, and after the 1st one they test you randomly and often all throughout the year.

The best WR on the cowboys is cole beasley, a 5' 8" white guy. Not that white people cant be superior athletes, but he doesnt strike me as exceptionally quick like wes welker or other small receivers should be. They also have allen hurns and tavon austin, who are pretty just replacement level players. No one special at tight end, Zeke is the only above average skill position player on offense. And he's way better than above average, but even he's going to struggle if defenses focus on stopping him.
Then they cut dan bailey to save money, he was the 2nd most accurate kicker in nfl history. Their problems go way beyond who's the kicker, but in a close game it could be the difference between a win or loss.

I actually think it's a positive when youre mad after a browns loss because they almost had the win, against a playoff team no less. Like, in the last 2 years, the opportunities to win games against good teams have been few and far between, right?

Tyrod's a good leader, hard worker, and keeps turnovers low, but he is what he is at this point, a QB with a low ceiling as a passer.
I really want to see what baker can do, but so long as tyrod is competent running the offense, he'll remain on the sidelines. That's not bad either, he's learning and watching and improving, but id like to see if he can have some insane passing stats like he did at oklahoma. With jarvis and josh and duke and yannick, he could have some 350-400 yd games...

MrBungle

I'm a realist, I love my team, and have taken lots of grief for it over the years... I'll give credit when credit is due..... It was great to see a free agent wideout who came to to the team actually do what he was signed for.... The last few were just signing for an easy pay check.. most notably Kenny Britt....

The defense for the Saints seem a bit soft, so I think Tyrod might have a better showing this week. That will be equalized by the Drew Brees led High powered offense, we have come to know and love....

For the Browns to win they need to reduce the costly penalties on offense and Myles Garrett needs to keep pressure on Brees....

The Browns have beaten Brees before, it was a completely different team and 5 head coaches ago, but thats not the point... The point is they can do it again!!!!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i like ground turkey too baba, i think its a great sub for beef
when i use ot for things like meatballs and burgers, i like to add a little bit of fine breadcrumbs and an egg as binder
season that up and brown it in a hot pan so its almost like a turkey meatloaf ball/ sandwich
cant wait for sundays games
me and the mrs are going to have a football sunday this weekend on the couch
looks like we will be getting the chargers v buffalo for the early game then
the raiders v denver @1p
not the best match ups but it will be fun to watch
/im interested in seeing j.allen debut and both the raiders/ denver need a win here

i agree mrB, the brown can win games against good teams or at least hold their own
for that to happen tyrod needs to play at his best, the defense (led by garret) need to play their best and you have to play mistake free football for four quarters
its a big order but at this point i think they still need to earn their wins the hard way
NO will be a test and we will see how the D plays against a future HOF QB

speaking of the hall of fame, they came out wiht the nominations for 2019:

https://www.profootballhof.com/102-modern-era-nominees-for-the-hall-of-fames-class-of-2019/

i see a lot of great players on that list and have fun memories watching a lot of these guys play
i hope all you guys see some of your favorite players listed
enjoy the games!

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Peeps,
Although I live in the UK, I have a long and abiding love of the Gridiron in all its forms.
It came to our shores in '84 on Channel 4 and I was blown away by it. That was the year I joined the MK Bucks and began playing British Gridiron.
I played the game for 10 years, four in the National Division for the Bucks and a further six in the Championship for the Pioneers. I played running back for most of those years, tail & slot mostly but I did play one full season at full-back and it nearly fucking killed me!

I'm 61 now and this is all our yesterdays I know but I'm reminded daily of my glory days by the pains in my broken body but I wouldn't change a thing. Not only did I personally lift the (heavy) bronze Budweiser eagle-trophy when we won the Championship, but we lifted three lovely silver cups. I have a shelf full of trophies but the real trophies are the countless, irreplaceable memories I made with American and British friends alike.
The Brits who have never been expose to American Football don't understand the relationship which develops between players and coach. The American coaches we were blessed with were US Airforce servicemen from the nearby base and they were truly inspirational. They were life-coaches more than they were sporting coaches and that 10 year experience did more to mould me into the person I am today, than any other life-experience except my military service. Gridiron gave me something I needed when I came out and that day I screwed up my courage and trotted out onto that field toward those battling, armoured giants that day was on reflection, the best move I ever made.

I do love the NFL but I find myself far more obsessed with college football these days - Go Buckeyes!
Regards,
Iffy

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I play the NFL and college pickems on the ESPN app. There's a game that you can make picks on different sporting events....it's got everything you can pick on....even soccer, tennis and other things. It's not always just picking winners/losers. It can be which team scores the most in 1st quarter. It's fun, I've really got into it. I'm having alot of fun with fanasty football, the NFL pickems. But I'm having a pretty good start in the College Football pickem and especially the College confidence pickem....I'm in the top 99-100% so far....I've been lucky lol.

It's been alot of fun with this ESPN fantasy games, also NFL fanasty app, the cbs fanasty app is ok but I like the others

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
What a game in Lambeau!

Costly penalty on Matthews, was it even a penalty???

Looked like a good tackle to me...

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah, it was a crazy game with bad Referees. Afterwards Jaguars-Pats was interesting, I can´t remember that the Pats were so bad.:)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hi Peeps,
Although I live in the UK, I have a long and abiding love of the Gridiron in all its forms.
It came to our shores in '84 on Channel 4 and I was blown away by it. That was the year I joined the MK Bucks and began playing British Gridiron.
I played the game for 10 years, four in the National Division for the Bucks and a further six in the Championship for the Pioneers. I played running back for most of those years, tail & slot mostly but I did play one full season at full-back and it nearly fucking killed me!

I'm 61 now and this is all our yesterdays I know but I'm reminded daily of my glory days by the pains in my broken body but I wouldn't change a thing. Not only did I personally lift the (heavy) bronze Budweiser eagle-trophy when we won the Championship, but we lifted three lovely silver cups. I have a shelf full of trophies but the real trophies are the countless, irreplaceable memories I made with American and British friends alike.
The Brits who have never been expose to American Football don't understand the relationship which develops between players and coach. The American coaches we were blessed with were US Airforce servicemen from the nearby base and they were truly inspirational. They were life-coaches more than they were sporting coaches and that 10 year experience did more to mould me into the person I am today, than any other life-experience except my military service. Gridiron gave me something I needed when I came out and that day I screwed up my courage and trotted out onto that field toward those battling, armoured giants that day was on reflection, the best move I ever made.

I do love the NFL but I find myself far more obsessed with college football these days - Go Buckeyes!
Regards,
Iffy

Cool story, Iffy. I'm always interested in hearing the perspective of people who played organized football, whether high school, college, or overseas leagues.

I think sports helps build character as well as physically fitness, it's important to be a well-rounded person, physically as well as mentally.

I didn't watch the vikings/packers game, Herman, but I heard the officiating was way bad, and that roughing the passer call on clay mathews was terrible. But other than that, it shows that the two best teams in the division are very evenly matched. They play again in about 9 or 10 weeks, and rodgers should be fully healed by then; he's got a sprained knee and bone bruise and can play through the pain while wearing a brace. Maybe their next match up a fully mobile rodgers can have a better game.

WVkind do the pickem games on the app take into account point spreads? If so then maybe you need to share your picks on here so we can call our bookies or place our online bets and make a little extra scratch on the side...
biggrin.gif

The pats got dominated by the jaguars, and bortles outplayed brady. This time the jaguars didnt let off the gas unlike the afc championship game back in February, although the patriots threatened to cut it to single digits late in the 4th.

Maybe the jaguars are for real; theyre deep and talented at receiver, they didnt miss fournette at RB, the defense is top 2 or 3 in the league (rams and vikings the other ones) and bortles is completing more than 60% of his passes, has a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, and most of all doesnt care about criticism from fans or media. They've really turned things around since hiring tom coughlin to manage that team. And the giants are still searching for answers after firing coughlin...

Bungles, the Browns would be 2-0, having beaten two playoff teams from last year, if they could kick a damn field goal when it mattered.

Zane gonzalez had a game winning FG blocked against the steelers in OT last week, ok maybe a blocked FG at least some if not most of the blame goes to the line, but he also missed a 44 and 52 yd attempts against the saints, which would have won or at least tied the game.

Gonzalez won the lou groza award for best kicker in college, and holds the records for most FG made in his college career, but he only hit 75% of his FGs last year for the browns and is 2/5 this year.

Dan Bailey is still unsigned after being released by the cowboys before the season started, and is the 2nd most accurate (88%) FG kicker in league history. Either the browns or vikings should be on the phone with his agent today. Vikings have championship aspirations and cant have their season messed up by an unreliable boot, and the browns could be playoff worthy themselves if they had a clutch kicker.

Bears host the seahawks on MNF tonite, not sure what to make of this game, hopefully trubisky turns it around and completes a pass longer than 5 yards in the 2nd half, and the defense can also make plays in the 2nd half like they were in the 1st.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
420giveaway
Well, the Jax-Pats game was fascinating, it was in the middle of the night but I was watching the game till 01.30h, as it was over. Pretty stoned, I thought I can´t believe what I see? I can´t really explain what I mean the Pats dominated by another Team, crazy. :)

What the Patriots are in american Football is in Germany Bayern Muenchen for Soccer.

I´ve got the NFL Streams about a posting here. But isn´t it dangerous to click and register, virus or something? With my simple english I am not sure, isn´t it dangerous, if I try to watch there a stream?

:tiphat:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i might be changing my take on blake bortles after the way hes been playing
while im not going to put him into the elite category just yet, he has definitely moved up a notch in my book
the jags have a rock solid defense and as long as they arent loosing games with silly mistakes, they should have another really good season
the tampa bay bucaneers are playing red hot behind the magic ryan fitzpatrick (who chaneled his inner conner mcgreggor in the post game interview on sunday)
fitzpatrick is putting up all pro numbers in his first two starts with over 800y passing and 8 tds in his first two games
we saw him get hot like this before (buf) only to fall off, but as long as hes slinging em, i say let him play
/winston comes back in two weeks so it will be interesting so see who cotter decides to start
the chargers take home an win against a flat buffalo team
rookie safety,derwin james is playing like his hair is on fire!
hitting behind the line and playing all over the field, this kid could have a great future in the nfl
there was a play in the endzone that got pretty ugly, when taiwan jones lost his helmet and took a big hit from a charger defender (special teams), lets hope it was only a little blood and nothing too serious
it looks like bosa isnt expected to return until oct, but the defense looked good with m.ingram bringing a ton pf preasure up front
i was super stoked that we were able to watch the rams play the arizona cardinals on sunday
the rams had all the momentum of a run away freight train and rode the defense to another win
the offense was productive through the air and goff spread the ball around but it was the defense that shut down az and won the game
dallas also picked up an important win against the giants
/i wonder how many more starts eli has left in him
the browns are the best team without a win so far this season!
/i think a lot of teams are re'evaluating the importance they place on the K (kicker) position this week

its good to see so many new guys posting; especially all our international fans, its always cool to hear from them!
hope everyone is enjoying the start of a new season

iTarzan

Fitzpatrick did get hot before pop rocks and then seemingly faded. I kind of remember it was similat. He came in as the back up and did great. Then the starter was healthy after a bad start they took Fitzpatrick out for the starter. Then the starter sucked and they brought Fiitz back in and he lost the grove he was in before. I hope the bucs don't have him on a short leash when Winston comes off suspension. The talking heads say he throws a better deep ball then Winston.

Patrick Mahomes is off to an insane start.

Darius Leonard LB Colts is looking like a freak. All over the field tackling machine and very disruptive. Colts are better than the experts thought they were. They have a young, very fast, hungry defense that has bought into what defensive coach Eberflus has been saying. Luck is looking like Luck. Even the one stupid head scratcher play per game. He loves to try to squeeze one into triple coverage once or twice a game.

Next week the Colts go to Philadelphia. The Eagles just announced that Wentz is going to start. This game should give a good indication of how good or bad the Colts are. The Colts could easily be 2-0 right now.

Pops if Bortles keeps playng like this the Jags are going to be a very tough out all the way to the super bowl.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i like winston but hes never really put up the big numbers we were all looking for
add in the PITA factor and i could see them letting fitzpatrick run this team, at least for now
let jamis winston eat crab cakes on the sidelines; at least until he proves he could do better (both on and off the field)
"Patrick Mahomes is off to an insane start."
you got that right brother! this kid is on fire
a lot of it has to do with the guys around him, but hes playing like cool hand luke and not making a lot of mistakes
if the ind defense gets hot i think it could take the colts to the next level
we will see how they play against phi this weekend, but i bet luck will be watching a lot of tape of magic'fitzpatrick this week

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Pops if Bortles keeps playng like this the Jags are going to be a very tough out all the way to the super bowl.

Glad you got your QB back.

Long time Boston sports writer and a member of 2 Halls of Fame, Bob Ryan, expects the Pats will be chasing the Jags this year for the Division title. :tiphat:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
You're going to r e d d i t . c o m /nflstreams, Herman? You shouldnt have to register when you click on any of the stream links. Make sure you have a pop up blocker on the browser you use. I use google chrome browser and use the AdBlock extension for a popup blocker.
Look for a stream link that has the most points (it's in the heading, you'll see "3 point 2 hours ago", "7 points 10 minutes ago" etc etc. The links with the most points have the most approvals or upvotes by users, so those are likely the best streams.

When you click on it a new tab or window will open and you might have to click on some "x's" to close out the ads - there are probably a few X's you need to click on, and when you close it out a new ad will pop up but i just close that tab out, your pop up blocker prevents it from getting worse than that. Also, you might need to click on a Play Arrow to start the stream, again another ad will open up in a new tab but just close that out also. Then the stream should start, it might take 30 secs to get really clear or High Def as it buffers but i find it's usually very high quality.

Sometimes a stream freezes up and doesnt restart no matter how many times you hit play, so you have to close it out and go back and select another link.

But yeah, dont go registering for any site that pops up, your adblocker/popup blocker should prevent the worst of it. I do all my banking and online shopping from my computer, ive never had an issue with watching streams on it too, never been hacked or anything like that.

Should i pick up fitzpatrick in my fantasy leagues? You think he'll continue this hot start? Maybe not throw 400 yds and 4 tds every game, but u think he'll end up with, say... 4500 yds and 40 tds by year end? That would be the #1 qb in fantasy most years...

Mahomes is in an ideal situation to put up numbers, his receiving weapons go 4-5 deep (hill, kelce, watkins, hunt) and his defense is pretty bad so he has to keep throwing. I have him in 1 league, does anyone think he can keep it up and have like a 50 td season like peyton had in 2013? Maybe i can trade him for a top RB, I have leveon bell and his holdout is really killing my RB outlook...

I saw darius leonard pop up on the fantasy transaction trends, iTarzan, and then you mentioned him and I looked him up and he had an 18 tackle game, with a sack and forced fumble, against the redskins. That's like a 20 pt game in fantasy, like an average QB output, for a linebacker. I would pick him up, but ive been burned before chasing points for defensive players. Some dude has a 15 tackle game, pick him up, he has 5 tackles the next week. But you think this dude is the real deal huh?

He was one of the 2nd round picks they got from the jets when they traded down so NY could select darnold. I was surprised when the colts held washington to 9 pts, if their defense is finally good (and getting better) then maybe the colts can aspire to be the 2nd best team in their division, behind the jaguars.
biggrin.gif

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, I was going to but wanted to break up my comments into separate posts, i tend to go on and on.

I feel ya, Hawk, Trubs had 2 int's and should have had a 3rd one (hit a hawks player in the hands and bounced off) in the end zone. So far, counting last year, he's at 9 passing td's and 9 int's, that 1:1 ratio isnt great, in fact it's worse than cutler (1.3:1).

But from what i could tell, his accuracy did improve from week 1, he wasnt overthrowing receivers quite as often. And that second int was a tipped pass at the line, that's more just bad luck than bad quarterbacking.

But yeah, the bears offense isnt scoring a lot after many experts thought they would be very good. It's funny, they look great on the first drive of each game, moved the ball right down and scored a TD, but after that it's been a struggle, although they did score a second td against the hawks (a nice throw on the run to anthony miller).

So far it's been the bears defense that's been the strength of the team, the D has scored a td each game. But this was Trubisky's 14th start of his pro career, he hasnt even started a full season, and also he only started 1 season in college. So he's still pretty raw, and he's learning a new and complex (so they say) offense, and they seem to be improving each week, it's still early in the season, etc etc. And then you compare him to other qb's, deshaun watson isnt lighting it up like he was last year, mariota looks terrible (he has an injured elbow, but he also was bad last year), dak prescott hasnt looked as good as he did as a rookie, stafford put up numbers against the niners but also missed a bunch of deep throws, there's lots of other qb's, most with way more experience than trubs, that are struggling.

So the O hasnt been on fire, but it's still a work in progress. Hopefully every week we see improvement, and maybe in a month or two we'll see that they're pretty good. Or not.

I figure you have to give trubs at least 2 more years before you say alright he's not the answer time to move on. We gave cutler 8 years and a bunch of money when it was pretty clear by year 4 or 5 that wasnt the best move, we can at least give a raw, developing QB two more seasons. Dont you think?

shithawk420

Veteran
Yes.thank you.thats what I've been saying all along.i just wanted to hear it from another Bears fan.im in Illinois but I got fucking Packers and Cowboy fans here for some reason.only Bears fans here are delusional.