What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plant patents/ IP is there a future in the "strain game"?

stim

What are your thoughts on strain IP and patents? I think that with the entry of foreign countries, pharma, university and big business into the game the days of patenting strains may be far gone for small time breeders. I can see the picture looking like countries like Columbia or Peru growing the strains held by large companies for a miniscule price to the consumers (think $3 a gram). Looking at situations like Dr Mahmood of the university of Mississippi who has been hoarding strains for years and years and they were even using the DEA to raid countries to prospectively get those seed/root genetics unavailable to us from decades ago. I see Arjan strain hunting and contributing heavily to growers in Columbia is he looking to maximize the terp and cannabinoid profiles of his greenhouse strains and mix them with some of the hunted genetics to create his own originals and establish his roots in the Columbian growing game? I have heard that Neville is looking to patent his strains as well. Is the cannabis industry going to be like Coca-Cola meaning a proprietary or "secret" recipe held by a corporation using sugar grown cheaply in foreign countries? Is there a place for $15 grams of cannoisseur nug from small businesses or individuals amongst cheap ass high grade grams grown in superb conditions? DJ Short may end up a billionaire if strains are worth as much as a coca-cola recipe this is a pretty big business after all. I'm thinking the Dutch may be planning their big come back via strain owner age and product probably grown in foreign countries. I can see all of us wiped out of the game save a couple of strain vets like DJ short and maybe Sam the skunkman and even then if conditions are favorable and the lawyers can be stopped. I think the future is not in genetics but great growing practices and working for these large corporations unfortunately. Should we never have shared our genetics or can we win the fight by voting with dollars? What are your thoughts? Thanks

mr.brunch

Veteran
In my personal, humble opinion...
Fuck em.
We’ve grown what we like and crossed what we like for plenty of years, through decades of prohibition... full illegality.... as if a lil old patent is going to stop us.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Ask Skunkman and associates. They make this place stink of corporate takeover of grass roots Cannabis. Can feel it in the air.

What?!?
I am calling heaping steaming bullshit. Corporate takeover of grassroots cannabis? Grow up man. Too many people just repeat unfounded shit they read on the web.

dezman

Wow man has been ilegal and lots of people grew it, sold... and now people is scared of patents??? Why always skunkman is named in these kind of threats? Any proof of him doing so? Or just gossip?

They can patent whatever they want i will do what i want anyways, why are most of you so afraid? Or should i say paranoid? I just can't understand the same thread over and over, same shit bayer, monsanto, skunkman, now phylos too.

If they do patent them what will change? Are you going to buy their products? I do my own seeds and buy from trusted breeders. So if this happens they can suck my balls. I never thought legalisation will induce this kind of paranoia, maybe it'll be better to keep things ilegal then?

Perfect example of the shit ppl come up with when they don't have enough to do, or want to pretend there's ever nothing to do really.
Idle hands... n all that.
Sky's always falling for some chicken shittle or other.

cheers,....................................gps

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ask Skunkman and associates. They make this place stink of corporate takeover of grass roots Cannabis. Can feel it in the air.

Damn bro...
I already think your an idiot.

Now you done proved it with the bullshit that spews from your mouth/fingers!
:laughing:

X

xavier7995

Me and my crew were getting ready to knock over a bank, looked up....sure enough they had a no guns allowed sign. We didn't know what to do so just packed up and went home.

thejact55

I heard dj short got a patent for blueberry and he is going to sue everyone who stole his genetics...

In what court? How many years from now? Cant be the US courts. As of now, that would be the same as a meth cook sueing another for a stolen recipe. I could only fathom the amount of time and money that would take to try and prove that someone stole his genetics, which at this stage i think would be a lost battle. Maybe im missing something but i doubt hes dumb enough to squander all his funds to try to do this.
If we continue on as normal, stack the genetics we all personally want and flood the markets with our own creations regardless of law, as we have done for almost a century, the "powers that be" will have a hard time having their way. This market is a very unique one, where really the "grass root" has all the power, if we just keep the status quo. All will be fine, at least for me it will. I got a fridge full of seeds and plenty of room for clones. Nothing is going to harm my situation...

troutman

Seed Whore
I heard dj short got a patent for blueberry and he is going to sue everyone who stole his genetics...

Doubtful, I am almost 100% certain to get a patent you have to create something new.

Not sure if you can patent something that's been around for over a decade even if you created it.

Besides, DJ sold the seeds. So how is he going to sue people for infrigement now?

igrowone

Veteran
Doubtful, I am almost 100% certain to get a patent you have to create something new.

Not sure if you can patent something that's been around for over a decade even if you created it.

Besides, DJ sold the seeds. So how is he going to sue people for infrigement now?

i think he was goofing on the thread

CaptainDankness

Who knows? I remember hearing Big Buddha got a trademark on Cheese a while back.

Also, while the seeds may be in the grey market, it's not really public domain since it's a schedule 1 drug.

I can't imagine it will get him too far if he did get a patent though, I don't plan on leaving the black market anytime soon. Lol

Would be some shit if only the few people are allowed to continue working with the USPTO while the plant remains schedule 1. Of course just like guns, come and take it. Lol

They may be able to get patents in the legal market but all I know is people on the black market and nobody goes to the dispensaries around here.

But I doubt DJ Short has plans on patenting, guy just barely started selling his seeds direct I believe, might just be JD or a friend running it. Not sure, haven't ordered anything yet but the price is the cheapest I've seen yet for DJ's seeds.

CaptainDankness

In what court? How many years from now? Cant be the US courts. As of now, that would be the same as a meth cook sueing another for a stolen recipe. I could only fathom the amount of time and money that would take to try and prove that someone stole his genetics, which at this stage i think would be a lost battle. Maybe im missing something but i doubt hes dumb enough to squander all his funds to try to do this.
If we continue on as normal, stack the genetics we all personally want and flood the markets with our own creations regardless of law, as we have done for almost a century, the "powers that be" will have a hard time having their way. This market is a very unique one, where really the "grass root" has all the power, if we just keep the status quo. All will be fine, at least for me it will. I got a fridge full of seeds and plenty of room for clones. Nothing is going to harm my situation...
While it sounds logical that they wouldn't be allowed to patent a schedule 1 plant, their are a few companies with patents. Obviously big money corporations so us little guys are stuck on the sidelines waiting to see what happens.

Easy7

Veteran
I don't know, but I believe they will GMO the crap out of the strain game. They will GMO and make it so it can't be pollinated/crossed/worked.

It will take a lot of bullshit story telling for them to buy off peoples opinions. Making everyone that does it the natural way, 'look crazy'.

mr.brunch

Veteran
No one can gmo what’s already in my fridge... and as it’s still illegal in most of the world (my country included) patents are probably the least of our worries.
In fact, even in a legal market, patents are only going to bother people growing large crops of particular strains for sale.... strains which are likely to be making said grower plenty of cash anyway. Call me uncharitable, but I couldn’t give two fucks about big commercial grows.

Latest posts

Latest posts