What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Organic Hydro - Need tutorial/guide

t33to

I know there is probably tons of advice on these forums, maybe even a complete guide, but it's hard to wade through what has been tried and works and what is rhetoric/tests/ideas.

Any handy links or info for me?

I'm partial to DWC or Flood and Drain systems but would gladly try any system out there that works and is simple.

Ty.

BillFarthing

Veteran
In Europe, it's called Bioponics:
http://bioponica.net/principals-of-bioponics/

You take organic inputs, introduce enzymatic bacteria, and keep it at a usable level and pH for plants. It can use fish or can be inputs that are introduced.

I mixed kelp, alfalfa, neem and insect frass in equal volume. I added azomite and gypsum in 1/5 of the total volume. I used 1/4 c. of the mix to a gallon of water in a vortex brewer. For bacteria, you can use fish bacteria that is already nitrogen cycling. If you want it broken down quickly, you can introduce Bio-Kleen or Rid-X septic system bacteria. It is brewed for 24 hours and dilluted to 500 ppm for a usable nutrient solution.

Just make sure you don't go over 150 ppm Nitrogen. If you don't have a way to test your organic hydroponic solution, reduce nitrogen (green) inputs or dillute the total solution to a lower EC. It is easy to spot with leaves exhibiting clawed leaves or dark jungle green leaves.

It is easy and effective when you find a recipe that works for you.