What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guitar playing

I started learning guitar a couple years ago. I found a guitar at my friends, and I asked her if i could fix it. She said yes. So I restrung it, and she signed me up for an online guitar class. I guess I sounded worse than I thought. I finished that class, did ok. I went out on my own and found a few teachers on the internet on Youtube. I like Blues and rock, Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie ray Vaughn, BB King, and a few others. I have since bought a Epiphobne Blues box, acoustic/electric, a Les Paul Epiphone, and a Fender Stratocaster. I got the two electrics I got used and cheap, and fixed them up and they sound real nice now. Does anyone else play?

namaste

Meraxes

Veteran
I started learning guitar a couple years ago. I found a guitar at my friends, and I asked her if i could fix it. She said yes. So I restrung it, and she signed me up for an online guitar class. I guess I sounded worse than I thought. I finished that class, did ok. I went out on my own and found a few teachers on the internet on Youtube. I like Blues and rock, Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie ray Vaughn, BB King, and a few others. I have since bought a Epiphobne Blues box, acoustic/electric, a Les Paul Epiphone, and a Fender Stratocaster. I got the two electrics I got used and cheap, and fixed them up and they sound real nice now. Does anyone else play?

namaste

Well family life kind of took over, but I've played since about 14, starting in the 90's learning how to play Alice in Chains songs. I had an ESP LTD Eclipse. I wrote some songs in kind of a Chainsy/Days of the New style, it was great fun, I miss it, kind of lost my callouses, but I'll get back around at some point. Great influences there, love the blues...:tiphat:

jesbuds

Well if we define "play" loosely I can "play" my guitar :). Never been good but I can strum a few chords and it's a great relaxing activity. Used to have an electric and acoustic but the electric was just too loud for my apartments and I prefer the soothing sounds of the raw strings. Also have a ukulele that is hella fun to mess around with, 4 strings, easy chords, always sounds peppy.

Really like old school acoustics, used to have a few from the late 60's early 70's that weren't the best guitars but damn if they had character. Right now only guitar is a Yamaha FG730s and gotta throw a shout-out to Elderly Music in Michigan, great store with so many cool instruments.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I grew up playing guitar and fixing them its tons of fun. Cant go wrong with SRV Hendrix and BB stuff. I love playing the blues. Check out Elmore James, Howlin Wolf, and J. L. Hooker. Cut a piece of copper tube and play that shit.

hey chronosync I will.
Hey Jesbuds, I define it as playing until someone tells me otherwise. I like to soll with jam tracks and alone sometimes with just a few notes maybe six or so.
Meraxes. that was me. I wanted top play since I was a kid. But my four kids needed the attention. Now they are all grown up, my ex left me, so I have plenty of time on my hands now.

namaste

Hey there Avidlerner, been playing since 5, im a serious acoustic music fan, but I love it all. Nail down the rhythms, youll be owning it in no time. Peace

chronosync

Well-stoned member
hey chronosync I will.
Hey Jesbuds, I define it as playing until someone tells me otherwise. I like to soll with jam tracks and alone sometimes with just a few notes maybe six or so.
Meraxes. that was me. I wanted top play since I was a kid. But my four kids needed the attention. Now they are all grown up, my ex left me, so I have plenty of time on my hands now.

namaste

This is some Voodoo Child stuff right here. Its all in E with a five note scale. Throughout the video they show his hands so you see everything hes doing. I swear these guys set the grounds for rock and roll. Check it out its like a mini lesson, plus his intro is priceless you cant fuck with this guy.

https://youtu.be/1bw6znsxv8s

thanks guys. I have been working on the rhythm and also just doing solos' I used VLC media player to listen watch and slow down the video without loss of sound quality. I probably drive my neighbors crazy, but there used to be a lot of college kids living here that were music majors and we could visit and have fun. they moved on and I am still working at it. I do rhythm sets and sometimes just make it up. I am trying to develop my own sound, if you know what I mean.
namaste

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Thats great you play by ear. I took some lessons and i learned some music theory, but %90 of what i know i picked up from playing along to recordings, learning by listening, and especially playing with other musicians. If you dont know what diatonic harmony is; thats a great place to start making sense of pop music.

Keep playing thats the main thing, and working on your own sound? Thats what its all about. Do You.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah but like many people i started too late, age 44. Seven years later i still suck. Starting young is the key. People start late and can become quite excellent but its harder for most of us. Needless i love it. My motto is, if ya cant play good, you can at least play good guitars..... jamming on electric with good musicians is a freaking blast. used to jam every thurs night with a 18yr old kid who was a good guitarist and a guy in his early 20s who is a great drummer in the drummers garage out in the boonies. We would tear it up. Great times.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
That sounds great. Dont matter how old you are. If you got music you got music. Ya starting young helps alot im sure, but thats just a mentality. Its never too late to learn a new lick to beat to death!

rykus

Left hand is your mind and skill, which can be impressive and helps to develope ... But the right hand is your soul, and if you can overcome the self conscience part were your brain try's to trick you into focusing on that left and being all piddly and quiet with you soul.... Learn to hammer that shit out and doesn't really matter as much bout the boring side,lol

Ya I enjoy that shit, my type of meditation!

thanks folks. I ove it all. Left hand right hand never too old, never too young. get boned up. all helps. I practice average 4 hours a day. I am retired so I have plenty of time when folks aren't around. Sometimes I like to play the acoustic because of the sound. When I want to practice BB or Clapton I use the fender it likes to get bended up. nice light strings. It also has a JB-mini humbucker for the bridge that goes Hendrix real easy, and a DZ Satin neck. when I want to go smooth I grab the Les Paul with a pair of JB Humbuckers on it for some real nice smooth sound. I also make my own stomp boxes and have an overdrive for my Clapton effects. I also built a mini amp for headphones with a 2.5 w amp for driving a speaker with a 9v battery. Just having fun being me. I have background in electronics, electrical engineering, and electrical contractor work.

When I was 13 I wanted to spike my hair with wax like the cooldudes from good charlotte. I asked my dad. He said Son I'll let you do that if you play guitar an hour every day which I've done for the past 15 years. One of my favorite things to do. I was a sound engineer before deciding to be a grower.

BlackBuds

Ive been playing for over 30 years and in that time Ive missed maybe 2 weeks to a month total. It was an obsession at an early age and Ive been in bands since I was 16. I was obsessed with Hendrix, Rhoads, Schenker and so many more. It has cost me a lot of money and a few girlfriends but I wouldnt change a thing. At my age I still dream of it all the time. I am lucky to have opened for some great bands. Some of my friends that I used to share a stage with have gone to do really big things.Sleep, Neurosis..Matt Pike. Blessed

Music is the Best - Frank Zappa

rykus

Mr. Pike is a big influence of mine! Kalas is my favourite though!

I started growing because I loved it, but also because I wanted to play guitar all day,lol

Well at least one of the things worked out for me, lol, and I still get to jam with some pretty talented people n lend them gear for recording.... Def have nicer gear being a grower first.lol

Got to get in to some cool gigs over the years too, brought some good smoke for lotsa touring folk, pretty funny when ya get to watch them play after you smoke some real kills! Some magic with those touring dudes, they play a lot!

I am working towards playing all day long. that is my goal. I am learning some BB King right now. No One loves be but my moma, and she might be jivinv too and Don't answer the door. I love them both. Sometimes I will just start playing there and start improvising from there. I guess playing guitar and growing weed have a common trait plenty of time to improve. Most of my friends are musicians. my fiance plays flute. I learned sax and drums in my youth with my kids. Now I am doing for myself, first time. I have plenty of time to practice, all day. I am retired and have the time.

I want you guys expreiences before I die. LOL

Latest posts

Latest posts