What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado marijuana prices see huge drop, drug cartels reeling

barnyard

I often ponder if the absence of Cannabis had any influence on the evolution and comparative abundance of psychotropic plants in the New World.

303Medical

It is obvious that you have never successfully grown "quality cannabis".

The cost of electricity used to produce one pound is more than $50.

Never mind the cost of equipment, nutes, water and labor.

How about trimming? Have you ever trimmed a pound of "quality cannabis"?

Personally, I won't trim a pound for $50. That would be less than minimum wage for me.

I see a lot of people are suggesting I've never grown quality cannabis before based on my suggestion that cannabis "should" be going for under 50$ a pound.

Just to clarify, I grow all outdoor and can guarantee you over the years I have come to produce some serious dank for very cheap up front costs. Rig a drip line up and there's hardly even labor.

The fact is, if restrictions were lifted and cannabis was legalized across the board, large plantations and large corporate operations would produce mass quantities for pennys on the dollar. High cost indoor producers (who by the way are driving the cost of energy up for everyone and causing a massive carbon footprint along the way) would be dinosaurs and not an efficient means to mass produce.

LEGALIZE TAX AND REGULATE, peace :dance013:

303Medical

It's like people forgot you can grow plants without a HID light and GH nutes lol. the only reason indoor cultivation blew up so much was because cannabis production has been underground and prosecuted for so long...

I see it all the time. Folks talk about "how much it costs". It really doesn't cost that much unless you are buying into the marketing hype of some of the nutes companies. I just use a little Maxibloom, a little squirt of CalMag and PH up. I'm good to go.

Then they talk about how time consuming it is? I don't know. Takes me about maybe 5 minutes a week 10, every now and again. I grow in a Hempy bucket.

Outdoor? Free light.

It will get even cheaper when all the states legalize, but I am sure that will take a while. So, as long as there is a black market, I'm sure money can and will be made. I'm actually just curious about the legal states for now. Everybody is growing anymore. It's time for a little consolidation in CO.

NO BIG DEAL GUYS. I don't think it will get as low as $50 a pound. $50 an ounce soon? I think it can and will. Let's just watch and see if there is an over supply this fall. What it does to prices.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I could link dozens of pics of massive piles of bags of fert guys on the forums here post, must cost them a fortune ,
and its not really needed ,, smart pots , mm i think a smart farmer grows in the soil and makes the soil better each year ,
he absolutely would not waste expensive fertilizers as we see on the boards here,
we are not really seeing how cannabis would be farmed in those threads the future will be a lot different ...

i agree with you 303 on the massive waste currently, and the push to keep it that way , particularly by folks that dont seem to have been around enough to judge what good cannabis is ....

Jhhnn

Veteran
I see a lot of people are suggesting I've never grown quality cannabis before based on my suggestion that cannabis "should" be going for under 50$ a pound.

Just to clarify, I grow all outdoor and can guarantee you over the years I have come to produce some serious dank for very cheap up front costs. Rig a drip line up and there's hardly even labor.

The fact is, if restrictions were lifted and cannabis was legalized across the board, large plantations and large corporate operations would produce mass quantities for pennys on the dollar. High cost indoor producers (who by the way are driving the cost of energy up for everyone and causing a massive carbon footprint along the way) would be dinosaurs and not an efficient means to mass produce.

LEGALIZE TAX AND REGULATE, peace :dance013:

Agreed, all the way around. Home gardeners would be able to pick up seeds off the rack and clones or seedlings at the garden center right next to everything else for much the same prices, as well. Selection will be customized to your area, of course.

I'd just grow seasonally outdoors if it were practical. I'm sure a lot of people are, all over the State. Here in the heart of Denver, our public exposure is too great to think it's a good idea.

One Love

Money does not grow plants...
Wait til the advanced nutrient crowd finds out that you can grow cannabis with fermented plant extracts and earthworm castings. Ya know, forage some wild plants, and create your own nutrients, for free. But then you couldn't say it was "fire yo!" because you didn't use any "bud blaster" or whatever catchy name they are calling phosphorous these days. Most of the indoor "nutes" crowd are too influenced by mainstream media outlets to actually have studied botany at even the most basic levels. Its all about the "fire yo" and wearing your hat sideways and "ballin out".
You will not be growing in a legal market under you 4kw indoor setups. Your so called "fire" is actually not that great, it just looks the part. Until you actually understand a thing or two about plants, you should read some books and put the lil' wayne music on pause....
In the meantime, people that have studied botany will produce heirloom quality plants of any species with very little input. Alfalfa, nettles, and comfrey anyone?! Doesn't have to be cannabis, could be squash or peppers, or whatever the market is good for right now. Imagine that, you can eat proper food and smoke proper cannabis for very little $$.
$$ does not grow plants.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ Dr.King-
I guess you haven't done your research. Sam is a legend, through and through. Knew about his work decades ago. He knows....that's all I need to know and I've been at it for decades (small potatoes breeder comparatively). Much respect for him, his cause, his strains, etc.

As mack mentioned, "Sams really is the Man to go to. he knows his shit."

This forum topic is about Colorado prices - the advent of CO legalization vs. cartel stronghold, how the market has been changed, etc.

Original post was not meant to be quibbling about 'who is who', signature phrases and antagonistic attitude regarding an iconic cannabis advocate/grower/breeder.

Be what it may....grow on fellow Coloradans and others world wide making this planet a bit greener, a bit more tolerable!

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I kinda agree with you in a way. But, just growing a plant or two for myself indoors, I did the math. Just 2 plants, fast finishers from high quality strains and high potency genes from a high quality well respected breeder, costs anywhere from a dime to .50 on the highest side per gram. Since this is personal, I did not calculate the 30 minutes labor a week to maintain the plants or the couple of hours it takes to trim several ounces chilling on a Friday night. Since, a personal farmer will probably be sitting on the couch watching tv while doing these things. I only counted consumables; electric, water, nutrients and whatever else will be used and gone. Consider, I do Hempy bucket, 3 or 5 gallon with perlite and vermiculite and I use it over and over so many times indefinitely until it is thrown into some potting soil for a house plant and I have to replace it. I also use Lucas formula, Maxibloom, Cal Mag and PH up. And a package of those might last for years when you grow on a small scale. Tap water costs are also negligible. Utilities are your highest costs and even that is negligible on a small scale.

Point is, I know this has little to compare with commercial growing, but, from a users perspective, why are you going to pay a premium for top shelf when you can grow the same high quality at home for dimes a gram? Do the math bro. You will be shocked. And it's so easy too? $50 a pound seems a little extreme, but on an outdoor farmers scale I am sure that is easily doable and profitable.
Well seems like you're doing it right. It's been a question of mine as to how much a caregiver should ask for a product. I have a hard time thinking street prices are fair for a sick person to pay. I promise you I'm not trying to disrespect you at all..I'm an old time grower but I want to do it right. I want to help people

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Well seems like you're doing it right. It's been a question of mine as to how much a caregiver should ask for a product. I have a hard time thinking street prices are fair for a sick person to pay. I promise you I'm not trying to disrespect you at all..I'm an old time grower but I want to do it right. I want to help people

I think your right man ,
street prices are too much for sick folks to pay,
alas i see the future of the meds in my country going a similar way , or worse ,
generally ive tended to charge folks accordingly ,
old folks get a discount straight up ,,
as do sick ,,
the healthy punters that are in it for bux can subsidize them ...

i guess that would be ok on a legal deal too,
recreational folks pay to subsidize the sick and old who get it cheap or free ...
good form on the want to help btw ,, respect there man ..

woolybear

Veteran
Talking about nutrients, 1lb of jack's pro hydro lasted me 4 years at the low low price of $5. Its a bit more expensive now, but not that much more.

I could not be a hydro shop salesperson knowing the power of simple proven nutes. I guess its a knowledgeable insider thing. When you buy 25# though it gets much cheaper... thats probably a lifetime supply

the new mad max movie was great

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cartels aren't shitting bricks... They're changing their game...

They thought they'd get hold of meth for a while then the pharmacies started handing out addies like candy.

Anyway... To stay on topic...
High quality cannabis can be easily produced for very little monetary inputs. I think I overspend when I purchase a bag of dry organic amendments for $8/4lbs and its enough to grow my grow & my veges for a summer. But what can I say... I'm cheap... But my buds smell n taste better than the dispensaries I've visited.

And when it's a labor of love, there is no real labor.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ooh well I wont be loosing any sleep..send more and better cocaine I say...yeehaw..and I want prices like the 80s

S

SooperSmurph

Hallelujuah.

Current american cannabis regulations are criminal, promoting small business and crushing innovation.

Quality cannabis SHOULD be going for under 50$ a pound.

Haters gonna hate but that's economics.

My 2 cents peace
So no one should be able to make a living growing unless they own several acres of land? Welcome to the 1600s indeed!

Next we should take voting rights away from small growers, so they have no voice when new regulations are made.

Your $50 pounds sound great, to people who can't or will never grow and only smoke.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Hallelujuah.

Current american cannabis regulations are criminal, promoting small business and crushing innovation.

Quality cannabis SHOULD be going for under 50$ a pound.

Haters gonna hate but that's economics.

My 2 cents peace

I think the amount of hand trimming required for a lb would keep that price a bit higher, but not that much.

Cheers.

MountZionCollec

$50 is lower than the cost of trimming. I majored in economics and your statement isn't "economics", it's just your opinion.

Now if they allowed bulk produced by the 10s of acres with their monthly deadly pesticide dosage, minimum wage employees, harvested by machine and then machine trimmed, fast dry, no cure i still don't see $50 pounds as most businesses want a return of 2 or 3 times cost, especially in a risky competitive industry where the rules of the game are constantly changing.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And if grown outdoors christmas tree style? No manicure, just come pick your own and take it home for $100?
I and many more can deliver an outdoor grown plants that will yield a Kg or two when cleaned and dry. You do not need electricity any more then electricity is need to grow the best grapes for wine. It is the sun and earth. You are maybe thinking how you can maximize your profit per gram or OZ or pound, that is not how the average farmer thinks, he is thinking of a return per acre, and is lucky to see a good return year after year, that is the real world.
You live in a world created by the price supports of the illegality of the product, and that is gone.
I have grown quality Cannabis, so I do know how it works, I was growing quality Cannabis before anyone used lights or clones. Organic in the ground.
-SamS

Most will be happy to smoke this kind of pot. They drink Budweiser and eat at Del Taco or similar. They will never pay $3 a beer or pay $50 for a meal. The connoisseurs will account for 10% of the market. It will be a challenge to market your 'fire' to them.

Latest posts

Latest posts