What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

light depping without greenhouse questions

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
I have a nice 20x24 cut of some 90% shade cloth and wanted to practice light depping a few plants. I watched some videos online but they were all using greenhouses. What are the benefits and or setbacks from not using a gh? Do the plants need to be in complete darkness all the way down to the roots or do the buds just need to be covered?

Thx folks :)

You want 100 percent darkness because some strains will hermi with even minimal light leak.

You don't need a greenhouse you just nees a frame. People make hoop houses out of pvc and use blackout film.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
nature is not 100% dark, don't get all freaked about herms.
you can use bamboo sticks or wires to keep the blackout material from making contact with the buds and you might want to leave some open space near the ground to allow air movement.

vostok

Veteran
A popular method in my neck of the woods, is to apply a 'skirt' to each plant to darken only the lower laterals and fan leaves, leaving the tops open, a popular method for guerrilla growers, heavy black trash bags are cheap and popular, others use light proof quality material.

badmf

Remember any covering produces humidity a welcome home sign for molds etc, some folk had used empty fridge boxes to cover daily at the right time and get peak summer sun for bud production, If you are guerrilla not advisable makes it too visible, duh. Peace Bad...

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Was thinking of light depping about 3 weeks before the hours of dark outdoors naturally promote flowering and then letting them finish naturally. Anything wrong with that?

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
A popular method in my neck of the woods, is to apply a 'skirt' to each plant to darken only the lower laterals and fan leaves, leaving the tops open, a popular method for guerrilla growers, heavy black trash bags are cheap and popular, others use light proof quality material.

What's the point of only light depping the bottom buds and not the tops?

vostok

Veteran
What's the point of only light depping the bottom buds and not the tops?
As other have posted, molds can build in non circulative air zones, the hormones that switch a plant from veg to bud are stored in the lower sections far from any bothersome (N), by 'obscuring' the lower fan leaves you trick the plant into thinking that fall has arrived, and it then falls to bud, this method is ideal for outside or greenhouse growers, or lazy pricks like me that don't relish the idea of lifting 40-60 liter pots 2x times day ...lol

the covers/skirts are placed on the plant daily and removed 12 hours later, naturally the grower would be inspecting the plant on each removal, for bugs and molds, and take the appropriate action on each account
I'm happy with heavily trimmed heavy trash bag but I have seen, old jeans ..button up and zip up the fly is easy,

this is also the best way to define sex other than snipping a cutting for cloning to find the sex

ps be gentile you wanna leave some trics on ...as a reward for your hard work ....lol

Latest posts

Latest posts