What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horse poo! What should I do?

Hello fellow Icmager!
I just received about 3 gallons of fresh horse maure from a friend, I plan to use it for my worms but not sure how to go about it. Everything I have read says I need to age it before I use it. My worm bins are indoors and I don't have room outside for a compost pile. Is there any way I can age it on a smaller scale? Can I maybe Bokashi? What do you guys think?

rexamus616

Veteran
Make sure they don't use worming drugs on the horses! Or you'll kill all your worms.

You could make a liquid manure out of it - fresh manure has high N - and keep the fines/solids (put it in a pillow case first, before submerging in water for a few hours, if not over night)

The wormies only really want the organic matter to chew on, not all the fresh urea and other nutrients.... And after being leached in a bucket of water, the horse poo will be fine... (unless its got worming poison in, then it is worse than useless...)

MelloYello

They might worm a horse 4 times a year max. The horse's liver metabolizes almost all of the wormer. Earthworms shouldn't be bothered by crap from a horse.

I used about 10% horse manure last year. When I picked up the aged manure it had earthworms crawling through.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Cut it with some topsoil, and some sort or N amendment. I'd do like 1/3 manure, topsoil, coffeegrounds. Or maybe 1/4 manure, topsoil, coffegrounds, peat/coco...

Make sure they don't use worming drugs on the horses! Or you'll kill all your worms.

You could make a liquid manure out of it - fresh manure has high N - and keep the fines/solids (put it in a pillow case first, before submerging in water for a few hours, if not over night)

The wormies only really want the organic matter to chew on, not all the fresh urea and other nutrients.... And after being leached in a bucket of water, the horse poo will be fine... (unless its got worming poison in, then it is worse than useless...)
The horses belong to a Amish family and I don't think they use any drugs on the horse but thank you for the warning. Every sence I started worm farming I keep coming across how much worms love horse manure. After I soak it could it be used as a bedding?

Easy7

Veteran
Ask the Amish man if they gave the horse chewing tobacco to deworm. That's the old way of doing that. I have heard most dewormers are derived from tobacco. I'd grow mushrooms with it myself. Not worth much for ganja.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
get large plastic bin... drill holes in it... add manure... cover w/ burlap... keep moist...
let it cook / compost for a few weeks... add sum other organic goodies to speed up process... in the mean time order red wiggler compost worms....add to the bin...
keep in the shade...keep moist... by summers end... U will have a productive worm bin....
yeah ...

S

sourpuss

Mmm horse poo.... organic makes me chuckle the things u gotta do and love to do for the sake of good cannabis:tiphat: no offense at all.... admire u organic guys...

vostok

Veteran
get large plastic bin... drill holes in it... add manure... cover w/ burlap... keep moist...
let it cook / compost for a few weeks... add sum other organic goodies to speed up process... in the mean time order red wiggler compost worms....add to the bin...
keep in the shade...keep moist... by summers end... U will have a productive worm bin....
yeah ...

Good Post Yort ^^^

But if you are new or just cautious, add to your pillowcase,
then add the pillowcase to about the same or more volume of water
allow to sit in a warmish place for 2-4 weeks
strain and serve at 15:1 of clean water ...
then add to your plants ...

do a test run first

...and please don't be like me and replace the pillowcase to the bed, my girl found it and ...... flipped

yeah ...

Sounds like a plan, I think ill do this.
I'm in the city, a friend brung my the manure or I would of asked.
Thanks again everybody for the help!

C. Breeze

Horses are typically wormed with ivormectin or one of its derivatives and it hangs around a long while. It's used as a monthly wormer. It will wreck your earthworms in quantity. I get Manure from the municipal stables that has been composted for a while- and then add it to my compost- and the worms love it. At the muni stables they have fresh manure, ages manure and manure and wood chips mixed that is usually running around 110-120 degrees when you get it. No worms anywhere in any of it except the older stuff. The fresh is still toxic, and once it's mixed with the wood chips and is really going off hot- they don't obviiosly like that either.

I'm starting to think against the manure. It's just one of those things I thought would make my worm bins more productive. I think I'll just stick with veggie and fruit bio.

Years ago i dumped a heap of fresh horse poo on a patch of plants and it made them go a paler colour and the leaves went soft. They still yielded ok.

What have I learn't from this? Nothing what so ever . Im still all ears.

Good thread

Latest posts

Latest posts