What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado outdoor, Season 1

orion6324

So I've always been an indoor stealth hydro guy. I'm from back East and have recently moved to Colorado. I have some land now that is totally secluded and a perfect place for some BIG plants. So, I'm gonna go for it. As I said, I've always been indoor hydro, so the outdoor thing is totally new to me and not sure how it will go yet and I thought if I start a post on here from start to finish, some seasoned outdoor guy will chim in from time to time with tips and helpful advise. So here's what I have so far.

picture.php

Ordered these from the Netherlands, King Tut and Afghan Kush x Black Domina.

picture.php

The girls are sprouting.

picture.php

Pretty maids all in a row

picture.php

4 tons of an organic compost mixed with a good topsoil that has been cooked for two years, this is what I'll be using for my base soil. I think I'm gonna go with Subcool's super soil, if you're familiar with that recipe. If you know something better, please chim in. As I said, I'm new to dirt farming.

picture.php

Here are the massive pots I'm gonna use, my guess is that they are 4-6 hundred gallons. I put it next to the grill to give some size perspective. Overkill? Or a good size for huge trees?

My plan is to wrap the inside with this burlap to make a huge pot. My thinking here is that the roots will get good air to them with this method.

I plan on documenting this entire grow on here in hopes of some help along the way so pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

orion6324

Pics of the burlap I'm gonna use for the "pot liner"

picture.php

picture.php

Here is an added pic of one of my previous hydro grows. Nice bud eh?

picture.php

Swamp Thang

Veteran
You're definitely off to a very promising start Orion. You are living my dream. Given a free choice of where on this planet to live, for me it would be a toss-up between Colorado and one of the Hawaiian Islands.

Even though your background is with indoor grows thus far, your setup for outdoor growing shows you are very capable of walking the walk and pulling in some monster buds when harvest time rolls around.

Best of luck. I'll be checking up on this grow you got going, fer sure. That bud in the picture is absolutely monstrous.

orion6324

Thanks for the kind words Swamp Thang. I've always wanted to live in Colorado too, so I could grow legal. Let's hope you're right about walking the walk with outdoor. And yes, stay tuned, it should be a good show.

Ok now for the weekly update. I hit Lowes today for some 5 gallon pots in preparation for the next transplant. While there I noticed they had some of the ingredients for my soil mix so I picked p a few things to get a start on them. It's gonna be expensice but I hope it'll be worth it. Also, the girls are shooting up nicely with one hottie really outshining the others. As the saying goes, she's growing like a weed. I've been hitting them with water everyday too and I think it's to much. The soil in one of them is like mud so I'm gonna slow down on the watering for now and just hit em every 3-4 days. Here are some fresh pics.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
looks like u moving along nicely. here is the mix im using. just so u know that MG perlite is enriched with their chemicals. i love the big pot ideal. i will be pulling up a chair to watch this one unfold.
1/2 Part Worm Power

1/2 Part Oly Mountain Fish Compost

1 Part Sphagnum Peat Moss

2/3 Part Pumice

1/3 Part Rice Hulls

Nutrients included in the soil:
Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Karanja meal @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Neem Cake @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 2 Cups Per Cubic Foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Glacial rock Dust @ 1 cup per cubic foot

panick503

I would build those pots shorter and wider, 18-24" tall, and as wide as possible... check out the growing large plants outdoors tread... I'd give u the link, but that's beyond my technical capabilities. Believe it's locked up now, but that thread carried my ass a coupla years ago...

orion6324

Thanks for the input Panick. I redid my pots and all are 24'' high now and I have different diameters as well, 4', 5' and 6' just to experiment with the difference so next year I'll know for sure. I've been reading that post you suggested, definitely a good read. And yes, stay tuned, should be a good show. I'm guessing it'll go 50lbs or more.

orion6324

Holy shit Vostok are those your pots? If so, where did you get them and what are the dimensions? Holy shit that's a nice set up right there, very impressive.

orion6324

Week 3 update! Growing nicely with no problems so far. I mixed up a batch of "super Veg soil". In it is, my composted dirt I had delivered with a bag of MG garden soil added, two bags of MG perlite, a bag of vermiculite, two bags of worm castings, a handful of blood meal and bone meal. I have some Azomite and Mychorizae on the way that I'll mix in with it once it arrives. Thoughts on the mix anyone? I think it should be good for veg. It's got plenty on N in there. If not, I picked up a gallon of Pure Blend Pro just in case. I'm thinking this will get me through veg but holy shit, the work I'm gonna have to put in to get 11 of my huge pots filled with a soil mix is gonna be a pain. I think I'll need a few more tons delivered as well.

orion6324

Holy shit you're right, and yes I agree. I just went through the whole thread. I hope my shit gets close to that and I'll be happy. Looking through there I think I'll make an indoor room for next year so I can get an earlier start, Mine are half the size of his at this same time last year. Yep an indoor room and start in Feb/March next year.

orion6324

Not much to report this week! The girls are growing great and are very healthy. Probably move them out of the 3 gallon pots and into some 5 gallon buckets in preparation for the outdoor hardening. Can't wait till I can get em in the BIG pots. Here are some fresh pics.

sacramental

Very nice. I'm curious to see how them tutankhamon s come out. Bought some frome singleseedcentre.com and they ended up being autoflowers.

Attachments

• 20150604_204946.jpg
    20150604_204946.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20150603_201920.jpg
    20150603_201920.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150604_204829.jpg
    20150604_204829.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16

orion6324

So it's been a few weeks since my last update. It's been lots of work but I finally got the big pots filled with what amounts to the most expensive dirt on the planet. I rented a backhoe to help get the work done and when I pulled up in the driveway and went in the house, the truck trailer and the backhoe on the trailer took off backwards down the driveway. Jackknifed and crushed the side of my truck. I got lucky though. It almost went over the edge of a 200' cliff. I have no idea how it stopped but somehow it did.The truck was teetering over the edge and the trailer with the backhoe on it was hanging over with just a set of tires on the ground. The jack knife stopped it thankfully.

I've had a few pest problems since putting the girls out but I hit em with some neem oil today, lets hope that stops it. The side branching is really taking off and I topped everything on them yesterday. This should produce the big bushes I'm looking for. Here are some pics. I can't tell you how much money I have in dirt but it's in the 5k range with 15 big pots. Lets hope it lasts several seasons.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Plants looking great mate. I assume your planning to grow some pounders. Like trees lol. Anyway, sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you didn't lose the backhoe. That might have been tragic. Insurance will probably cover the truck. Unless it's just an old beater farm truck.

Anyway, looking forward to watching your progress. Never grew a MJ tree. Will be interesting.

jdkronyk101

orion,
lookin good so far. for a reference 6' around and 24" tall is roughly a 400gal pot. thats a great size to start with.. i would use nothing smaller than a 200gal for the yields you look to achieve.plants are looking good bro.. put those big pots 15' apart or better if you can so you have ample exposure,airflow, and workspace. looks awesome so far and appears like you have plenty of sunshine! get tose plants in the big pots asap!!
good luck!
j.d.

jdkronyk101

I would build those pots shorter and wider, 18-24" tall, and as wide as possible... check out the growing large plants outdoors tread... I'd give u the link, but that's beyond my technical capabilities. Believe it's locked up now, but that thread carried my ass a coupla years ago...

orion
this is solid advice from panick503 , toms big plant thread carried many of us for quite a few years. its closed now for sure but i believe one can still go read it just no more posting.. its the bible for big plants on here for sure and is where many of us first got started in this big plant style of outdoor farming.

Latest posts

Latest posts