What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Majority Of Florida Voters Support Legalizing Recreational Marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so when is Obama going to sign a change in how cannabis is listed federally and do you think that would end this state by state thing?

A Majority Of Florida Voters Support Legalizing Recreational Marijuana

Florida residents don't just love medical marijuana, they support legalizing the recreational use of it, too.
According to a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday, a whopping 88 percent of residents support legalized marijuana for medical use, with the number in favor reaching as high as 95 percent among voters 29 and under.
But a majority of Floridians also support legalizing the possession of small amounts of recreational marijuana, 55 percent to 41 percent.
"Forget the stereotypes of stodgy old folks living out their golden years playing canasta and golf," Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University poll, said in a statement. Sixty-four percent of Democrats and 55 percent of independent voters are in favor of legalizing recreational use. Republicans are opposed to it, 56 percent to 41 percent.
As one might expect, support for legal recreational use of marijuana is strongest among young voters (72 percent among voters 29 and under) and weakest among those over 65 (59 percent opposed).
Florida, however, lags behind the likes of Colorado and Washington state, where both medical and recreational use has been legalized. The Florida Legislature just passed a bill that allows residents suffering from epileptic seizures and other diseases to access "Charlotte's Web," an oil extract of marijuana that is placed under the tongue and does not produce a high.
A more expansive constitutional referendum that would legalize medical marijuana in Florida gained enough signatures to make the November ballot. It must get 60 percent of the vote then, but "these numbers make a strong bet the referendum is likely to pass," Brown said of the poll results.
If it passes, according to Quinnipiac, 71 percent of Sunshine State voters say they would support having a marijuana dispensary in their city.
Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D) said he will vote to legalize medical marijuana.
"This is an issue of compassion, trusting doctors, and trusting the people of Florida," Crist said in a statement emailed to The Huffington Post in January. "I will vote for it."
Incumbent Gov. Rick Scott (R), who opposes medical marijuana, unsuccessfully attempted to block the referendum.
“I have a great deal of empathy for people battling difficult diseases and I understand arguments in favor of this initiative. But, having seen the terrible affects of alcohol and drug abuse first-hand, I cannot endorse sending Florida down this path and I would personally vote against it," Scott said in a statement.
The Quinnipiac poll, which was conducted over five days last week, surveyed 1,251 registered voters and has a margin of error of 2.8 percentage points
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...poll_n_5626816.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

igrowone

Veteran
recreational MJ in Florida? this is getting funny in a good way
the big change is really happening, every day it's a new story of pro MJ polls/propositions/initiatives
how much longer can the forces of evil hold out?
2 more election cycles doesn't seem unreasonable at this point

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My whole family in Florida is Republican. They all support legalizing it for medical use. They almost all support legalizing it for recreational use, even my parents who have never tried it.

The world is changing. As more states legalize, more people will see that it's not a dangerous drug. Legal medical marijuana will be a good first step for Florida. A big step towards full legalization for all adults.

Gry

I wish everyone the very best with obtaining access legally. I do not hold much hope for for FL while you all have Scott and his pals running things.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
If Florida goes legal, the whole South will, imo. Florida might be actually bearable if you could get high legally there.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Unfortunately, this is a "no grow" bill. So who's going to grow the cannabis for medical use if no one's allowed to grow it?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I wish everyone the very best with obtaining access legally. I do not hold much hope for for FL while you all have Scott and his pals running things.

Well, he couldn't stop the MMJ initiative from going on the ballot.

His current stance on it just serves to further discredit him in the eyes of the voters. Floridians are pretty much sick of his shit. Right wingers seem to think that a narrow win is grounds to ramrod their radical agenda down everybody's throat. They're the political equivalent of a sweet talking date rape artist.

Get MMJ this election, work for A64 style legalization in 2016.

Fuck Rick Scott & the horse he rode in on.

Sforza

Veteran
But, having seen the terrible affects of alcohol and drug abuse first-hand, I cannot endorse sending Florida down this path and I would personally vote against it," Scott said in a statement.

Alcohol is bad shit, so he is against legal marijuana? What kind of logic is that? He hasn't seen any terrible effects from using marijuana. He should be for legal marijuana and making alcohol illegal.

Sforza

Veteran
Right wingers seem to think that a narrow win is grounds to ramrod their radical agenda down everybody's throat.

You mean sort of like the way Obama and the Democrats rammed Obamacare down the country's throat even after the Republican Scott Brown won the Senate race in uber-liberal Massachusetts?

That shit swings both ways.

Sforza

Veteran
If Florida goes legal, the whole South will, imo. Florida might be actually bearable if you could get high legally there.

Why is that? Are you any higher when you are taking a legal ride? I smoked a lot of weed in Coconut Grove and never had any trouble finding good stuff at a reasonable price or from the cops.

Sforza

Veteran
[QUOTEso when is Obama going to sign a change in how cannabis is listed federally and do you think that would end this state by state thing?.[/QUOTE]

Did you miss this question in the original post?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Unfortunately, this is a "no grow" bill. So who's going to grow the cannabis for medical use if no one's allowed to grow it?

stop spreading misinformation you can have 6 plants mature 6 seedlings. or was it 8. there a whole big ass thread somewhere round here where i read the bill and showed what it covers and the stipulations. no part of it said you cannot grow. stop spreading false info.

unless you're confusing prop#2 with charlottes web. those are 2 separate things. charlottes web is a done deal. it's the law even if prop 2 fails.

what we vote on in nov (NOV 4 don't forget y'all) is the medical bill which allows dispensaries, changes the law and allows you to grow your own, and covers a lot of ailments like the chronic joint pain that makes me cut this conversation short because i can only sit upright in a chair for so long.

here you go
V V V
this is what we're voting on in nov.
V V V

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
HB859 SB962 both are pretty identical. one for the house and one for senate.

it all looks good to me, i just hope they approve the numbers and don't try and cripple it too much before final approval. it's so close i can almost taste it guys, we just need to get out there and...lol... "smoke the vote"

farms: ->must be on agricultural land as sanctioned by state/ must be legit farming biz

These are the diseases explicitly covered.
(17) "Qualifying medical condition" means:
(a) Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) or positive
status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV);
(b) Alzheimer's disease or agitation of Alzheimer's
disease;
(c) Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS);
(d) Anorexia;
(e) Cachexia;
(f) Cancer;
(g) Chronic debilitating pain;

[GLAD THEY HAVE THIS IN HERE. I DON'T HAVE CANCER, BUT I AM IN CONSTANT PAIN]

(h) Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with

objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity;
(i) Decompensated cirrhosis;
(j) Epilepsy and other disorders characterized by
seizures;
(k) Fibromyalgia;
(l) Glaucoma;
(m) Hepatitis C;
(n) Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn's disease;
(o) Multiple sclerosis and other disorders characterized
by muscle spasticity;
(p) Muscular dystrophy;
(q) Nail-patella syndrome;
(r) Neuroborreliosis;
(s) Organ transplantation;
(t) Painful peripheral neuropathy;
(u) Parkinson's disease;
(v) Persistent nausea or severe emesis;
(w) Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); or
(x) Terminal illness, if the physician has determined a
prognosis of less than 12 months of life.
(18) "Qualifying medical treatment" means:
(a) Chemotherapy;
(b) Radiotherapy;
(c) The use of azidothymidine or protease inhibitors; or
(d) Treatment of a qualifying medical condition as
specified in subsection (17).

RULES FOR DISPENSARIES
(a) A qualifying patient may not purchase within a 30-
day period more than:
1. Two hundred and fifty grams of usable cannabis; and
2. Six cannabis plant seedlings.
(b) A patient's caregiver may not purchase within a 30-day
period more than:
1. Two hundred and fifty grams of usable cannabis for each
qualifying patient that the caregiver is connected to through
the Department of Health's registration process as indicated on
his or her valid registry identification card; and
2. Six cannabis plant seedlings for each qualifying
patient that the caregiver is connected to through the
Department of Health's registration process as indicated on his
or her valid registry identification card.

(3) If the department fails to adopt these rules by
January 1, 2015, a registrant may commence an action in a court
of competent jurisdiction to compel the department to perform
the actions mandated under this section.

this is the juicy part you were all waiting for. i'll bolden it up some.
499.803 Cannabis for medical use.—
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a
qualifying patient may cultivate, possess, and administer
cannabis for medical use and possess and use drug paraphernalia
in accordance with this part and department rule only after
obtaining a signed, written prescription from a physician in
accordance with s. 499.805 and a registry identification card
from the department.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a
patient's caregiver may cultivate, possess, and administer
cannabis for a qualifying patient and possess, deliver, and use
drug paraphernalia for the sole purpose of assisting in the
qualifying patient's medical use of cannabis in accordance with

this part and department rule only after obtaining a registry
identification card from the department.

(10) If the department fails to act upon a request for a
registry identification card within 35 days after receiving the
registration form, the card is deemed granted, and the copy of
the registration form is deemed a valid registry identification
card.

LIMITS said:
499.804 Restrictions on the use of cannabis for medical
1330 use.—
(1) A person who seeks designation as a qualifying patient
or the patient's caregiver must register with the department.
(2) A patient's caregiver may be connected to up to three
qualifying patients through the department's registration
process as indicated on the caregiver's valid registry
identification card.
(3) A qualifying patient or the patient's caregiver shall
deliver or distribute cannabis in a labeled container or sealed
package in a manner and method established by rule.
(a) The maximum amount of cannabis which a qualifying
patient may possess at any given time is 250 grams of usable
cannabis, eight mature cannabis plants, and eight immature
cannabis plants.

(b) The maximum amount of cannabis which a patient's
caregiver may possess at any given time is:
1. The number of grams of usable cannabis determined by
multiplying by 250 the number of qualifying patients to whom the
caregiver is connected through the department's registration
identification card.
2. The number of mature cannabis plants determined by
multiplying by 8 the number of qualifying patients to whom the

identification card.
3. The number of immature cannabis plants determined by
multiplying by 8 the number of qualifying patients to whom the
identification card.
(4) If a cardholder cultivates his or her own cannabis for
medical use, the cardholder must do so in a room, greenhouse,
garden, or other enclosed area that is kept locked and out of
the public view. This subsection does not apply when the plants
are being delivered or distributed:
(a) Because the cardholder is changing permanent residence
or temporary residence as defined in s. 775.21; or
(b) To the property of the cardholder or, in the case of a
caregiver, to the property of the caregiver's qualifying
patient.
(5) Cannabis may be administered at a medical treatment
facility if allowed by the facility and if a qualifying patient
is receiving medical care for a qualifying medical condition or
treatment. Cannabis may not be administered by or to a
qualifying patient at a dispensary or in a public place.
Long story Short = Cannot use in public, at a dispensary, can only medicate at home, at a "medical treatment center", or otherwise not in view or in any public facility.

may not use intoxication as a defense. in court if you have a card and knowingly medicated. duh!

stealing power automatically means you were trying to skirt the law and grow more for profit.= felony charge
practically the best part.
REMOVES MARIJUANA FROM EVERY STATE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you have a card

Section 12. This act shall take effect October 1, 2014.

- doesn't require insurance to cover, doesn't say they can't either.
- non federal employers can't make you take a drug test. can't refuse to hire you simply because you have a card.

paraphernalia is illegal now unless you have a card. need a separate license to sell it now i'll assume. misdemeanor first offense. 3rd degree felony for subsequent

RetroGrow

Veteran
Hope the voters pass it, because the Florida legislature rejected it. Insurance will NOT cover it, and from what i just read @ the Daily Chronic, smoking will not be permitted. Eating or vaporization will be allowed. I'm seeing 2.5 ounces as the proposed limit, but may be confusing bills.

"Florida lawmakers also rejected a proposal to legalize the recreational use of marijuana by adults in the state. Senate Bill 1562 and companion legislation House Bill 1039 would have allowed people 21 or older to cultivate six marijuana plants and legally possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana."
http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014...-restrictive-cbd-only-medical-marijuana-bill/

To illustrate the ignorant mindset of lawmakers in Florida, here are Marco Rubio's views: (note-he is Republican Senator, who has Presidential ambitions)-

Response from Senator Marco Rubio, ((( Floridians keep this in mind when voting next time )))

"Thank you for contacting me regarding marijuana usage. I understand this is an important issue to you and I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Up front, let me say we disagree."

"The use of illegal drugs has a profound impact on many people in our country, especially children. Drugs contribute to violent crime and enrich international crime organizations. More than that, they destroy lives and undermine our society. The federal government has an important role to play in combatting drug trafficking and the criminal organizations that benefit from it."
http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014/27751/joint-marijuana-legalization-bills-filed-florida/
Note also, that Democratic Senator. Debbie Wasserman Schultz is also opposed. Both have their heads up their asses.

Jhhnn

Veteran
You mean sort of like the way Obama and the Democrats rammed Obamacare down the country's throat even after the Republican Scott Brown won the Senate race in uber-liberal Massachusetts?

That shit swings both ways.

Please. Scott won the governorship by a 1.15% margin- 48.87% to 47.72%. Repubs hold the Florida legislature by dint of very narrow margins & huge gerrymandering.

Wrt the ACA, Dems held the US Senate by a 60-40 and then a 59-41 margin, the HOR by 257 seats to 178 seats for Repubs. Obama won by 53% to 46% over McCain.

Those were substantial margins, the numbers are easily verifiable.

False equivalency serves you not at all.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's crazy that they're going to make bongs illegal. What a dumb ass provision to add. It's still an improvement over the current law, so I still support it overall.

igrowone

Veteran
wow, thanks to stihgnobevoli for the body of the proposition
i know it's not perfect but just compare it to what was passed in NY
NY's will likely result in miniscule numbers of people being helped
Florida's would reverse a very bad trend with the new MMJ states, i.e. super restrictive cannabis