What's new

Aquarium water???

40shades

Just wonedering is it a good idea to add aquarium water to my regular watering schedule and what ratio to use?and can this be applied to both vegging and flowering plants
Can anybody with experience let me know how they apply it?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I use that for my plants (plants like plants and not like cannabis plants ;) ) instead of fertilisers.
Problems are mostly the unknown amount of nitrogen in it. You could use a nitrate/nitrite test though...
I use Dennerle products for my 20 l nano-aquarium (10 l change each week) and they boost aquarium plants nicely. From what I can tell, these ferts are mainly rich in potassium, which is mostly used up by the fast growing plants. Hence, no way of telling what's inside that water.
BUT it contains a few nice things too: Turf extract, fish/shrimp/snail poo, trace elements and iron.
My observations are:
- Used on orchids as only water, it is a bit too much, but that happens fast with orchids.
- My stinging nettles in the garden thrive with that! I use these to make brews and teas for the other 'consumables'.
- It's not enough for tomatoes as only fertiliser (apart from the 'solids' I put into the soil in spring).

Besides, aquarium water, at least mine, is far away from organic agriculture even if I can't and don't want to use pesticides, drugs and alike in my aquarium due to the susceptible shrimps.

Tomifobiacim

I have a 45 gallon and a 30 gallon aquarium and I have been using aquarium water on my houseplants for a while now, they seem to really like it, much better then the chlorine filled tap water.
I have started using aquarium water on my mj plants last week and they seem to really love it alot, one of my plants had a weird sickly colour and growth and since last week with the aquarium water feedings the sickly plant is starting to look normal while all the other plants seem healthier also.

I do weekly water changes and i'm thinking of collecting the aquarium water for my outside plants this season.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's the unknown nutrient levels that make it a less-than-perfect choice for cannabis plants, but with a $20 test kit and a little motivation you could make it work, or at least supplement another feeding regimen. Personally, I use my water-change waste water on my houseplants, and they love it! Specifically, African Violets. There must be good amounts of P in aquarium water because it always causes my african violets to bloom. :)

WelderDan

Veteran
How large the aquarium, what type of fish, how many, how often you change your water, etc. will all play into how you can use it. As was pointed out above, it's the unknown nutrient levels that could pose a problem.

I always used my aquarium water in the flower garden. The plants loved it. Never tried it on herb.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm bumping this old thread because I think it's an interesting topic. Anybody else have experience using aquarium water to water/feed mj plants?

C. Breeze

I've slways used water from my aquariums. Either goldfish or South American cichlids. I've had issues getting plants to finish on it- I switch to tap water only the last 3-4 weeks. I'm not even remotely scientific about it I siphon water and vacuum gravel until I have what I need to water, and I water with it. I top up the tank with tap water which I don't bother to dechlorinate. Fish stay healthy and happy, maintain a normal reproductive cycle growth color etc. plants are vibrant and happy. My soil is a typical peat/compost/perlite blend plus bone, neem, lime, etc. I don't add anything other than water typically, possibly some molasses or a tablespoon or two of fish one meal when I pot up. My aquarium doesn't have any thing in it that it shouldn't though. No dye, no fertilizer, no pesticide, no bullshit.

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
only water i use on my ladies...

i think they look rather well, now the above stated could be true nitrates and nitrites,depending on how heavy you feed,filtration,and water changes....i was pulling water out of my 125,i WOULD NOT SIPHON from the bottom(hence all the fish poop).just from mid way down...then i would just refill some back into the tank,i RARELY do water changes any more, all i do is add a little PH down,cause i have cichlids(tropheus),and they like a higher PH,in there tank water...so i always drop the ph a tad bit....but besides that water them ladies,and let us know what happens....:tiphat:

botikario

I use acuarium water (200 lts acuarium). It seems to have a lot of Nitrogen, so i used to watering in veg stage, at a ratio 10/1 (mix with clean water) to 5/1. Really good, very green leaves and healthy plants. At flowering stage i have not seen advantages ( and you have to be care because it seems to push the plant to veg).
Good luck

C. Breeze

If I were running a tank with Rift lake cichlids from Africa I would just back off of my liming agents and calcium inputs in my soul mix, and still wouldn't bother ph'ing my water when I add it to the plants. Typical substrate for rift valley cichlids is crushed coral- keeps the ph high and the water nice and hard plenty of calcium... You definitely get more nitrogen when you vacuum the gravel- and I can't get away with it during flower- but you add tons of live bacteria to your soil when you water from a gravel vacuuming. The same as you do from using an ACT.

Read the ingredients on a container of fish food- pretty outstanding soil amendmet in its own- composted through an aquarium is in my experience not any differnt than running stuff through the worm bin.

If the girls look off- and I can't put my finger on why- they get a little fishwater- cures what ails them.

vostok

Veteran
250px-Portable_fish_farm_at_growing_power.jpg

as ^^^ Ornamental, above says, nitrate levels are of serious concern, as is your experience with both pisciculture and growing weed.
As you may join them up, and have one of the best grows ever

as the fish supplies the food for the plants and you, and the
weed supplies food for the fish, and the bud for you, see this
as an organic DWC system

...very popular back east

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

Hehe if you read the link it makes sense. Vos - it would be so cool to have a display tank combined with a display grow in one of these setups. I used to have a nice Cichlid tank when I was young, maybe it's time to combine the two hobbies...
people have said that the unknown content of the nitrate/ite is an issue however when you use ewc I don't think you're precisely sure of the nutrient levels either. I would not worry about burning plants.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Right, well, nobody has. Anyway, does anybody know if you can get nitrogen to dissipate in the same way you get rid of chlorine, i.e., by leaving it in jugs for 24-48 hours?

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
i would think if ya dropped a air stone in there(with pump of course..lol)
that would speed it up and help out some...????....i would think...

Latest posts

Latest posts