What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mohan Ram, Wild Rose, Psicodelicia, and Vanilla Kush Grow

massud

Stealth Grower
Veteran
Hi Tony! Very beautiful plants! I love Psicodelicia :biggrin:! You'll see a ton of resin on her! Bye! :wave:

:smoweed:

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony!!

Thank you very much for another good looking update, they are really happy in your hands and I'm glad to know about that ;)

Hope they can fill up well those flowers :biggrin:

No problem with the misspelling, hehehe, don't worry ;)

Keep it coming, keep it sweet :peppermintstick:

Cheers! :tiphat:

tommy

jaypp

Vendor
Veteran
Nice!
all lookin very green, healthy and very clean too!

Thanks for share and keep it sweet!
Jaypp

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 15 of 12/12

Update @ Day 15 of 12/12

FINALLY, 2 weeks into flowering and things are starting to happen. One of those things is that growth has slowed way down. They're still turning up toward the light when I bend them down, but there's not much bending or tucking that needs to be done any more. Certainly not every day, like I've been doing since I put the screen in. Another thing is that white hairs are popping out all over.

picture.php

Here are the (future) main colas of the Wild Rose and Vanilla Kush. Remember, the Wild Rose spontaneously turned into a triplet a while back. These are two of the main stems. The third never really grew, and is still just a few leaves. The Vanilla Kush seems to be a bit behind the others flower-development-wise.

picture.php

And here are the Mohan Ram and Psicodelicia. Because the pots are toward the outside of the cabinet and I train them towards the middle, their main stems tend to end up close to each other. Maybe a little TOO close, but not much to be done about it any more.

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with my camera's color correction. If anything, the color under the HPS light looks even better than the slightly blue tint that I couldn't quite get rid of in the photos under the MH light. You'd never know these pictures were taken under a VERY ORANGE light.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony!

Looking even better than last time. Beautifull little flowers starting to get a shape, really lovely with the SCROG effect :biggrin:

Keep it up my friend, now it's just a matter of time and you have some sweets ready to harvest ;)

We'll be around to watch it, sweet smokes! :thank you:

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 23 of 12/12

Update @ Day 23 of 12/12

Into week 4, and flowering is progressing quite nicely. Where there were only a few white hairs a week ago, we now have Q-Tips. It's fuzzy little white balls everywhere. And they are filling in noticeably more every day now.

picture.php

At this point, the flowers appear to be identical on all but the Vanilla Kush. The Vanilla Kush seems to be a little behind, with sparser hairs and fewer bud leaves. Or maybe that's just the way it is. I've never grown any of these before, so I have no clue. The VK did however look like it might be jonesing for Mg, so I added some Epsom salts to the last watering. I've been feeding pretty heavily with the General Organics too.

Overall, they're doing well, looking very healthy. The screen has filled in very nicely to create a solid, even canopy. Hard to tell at this angle, but I let branches toward the edges to get a bit taller. You might also notice that right in the middle of the Wild Rose is an empty area in the screen. Actually, just below the screen are the two main stems with buds all along. Though they probably won't make it above the screen, I've given them plenty of light, and so should get some nice buds filling in that area.

picture.php

Because they're so close together, it's hard to get a good shot from the side. Here are a couple of Wild Rose branches, the two from each side of the label in the first photo. You can see what I hope will grow into some nice, solid colas.

Since I've never grown any of these strains before, I only have the breeder's info to go on. (If you've grown any of these and can tell me when I might expect them to finish, I'd appreciate it.) Based on breeder info, here are my estimated finish dates:

Wild Rose (61-67 days) May 18-24

Psicodelicia (56-63 days) May 13-20

Mohan Ram (56 days) May 13

Vanilla Kush (60-65 days) May 17-22

So it won't be long now. This is my favorite part, where I can see the colas filling in more and more every day. Please stay tuned.

jaypp

Vendor
Veteran
Ready for the party!
I think this information about finish dates are good, at least Sweet Seeds strains.

Great work Tony, keep it up!
Jaypp

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 28 of 12/12

Update @ Day 28 of 12/12

We're at the end of 4 weeks, which means it's about the halfway point. Flowering is now moving into high gear.

picture.php

Here's the Vanilla Kush. It's has the smallest buds, but more buds sites than the others. You can see the lighter color around the edges of some of its leaves, which I took to mean it wanted more Mg. Which I gave it. I'm not too worried as it's only a few branches and very minor.

picture.php

Here's the Wild Rose. It's going to have several nice colas.

picture.php

This is the Mohan Ram.

picture.php

And finally, the Psicodelicia.

There is not a lot of smell yet. It doesn't hit me when I open the cabinet. But if I brush my finger against the hairs of the Mohan Ram or Psicodelicia, I get a bit of a scent. The Mohan Ram is sort of a generic sweet smell, but the Psicodelicia has a hint of something else, maybe a bit perfumey. No smell at all for the other two yet.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony!!

Thanks for the update my friend. All looking good so far, seems like they are starting to fill up the buds now, so the most interesting time is about to begin :)

Keep us updated, as usual, ehehe, and sweet smokes!

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 35 of 12/12

Update @ Day 35 of 12/12

We're at the end of week 5, and not much to say other than things are moving right along. Everybody's healthy, I'm feeding heavily, and the buds are filling in quickly. Beyond that, I'll let the plants (i.e., pictures of them) speak for themselves.

Because of the SCROG, it's really hard for me to get anything other than overhead pictures, which don't show cola development very well. If I move the camera lower when standing in front of the cabinet, the bright light from above overexposes the top and everything below is underexposed. That's why most of the individual cola pictures I post are of the Wild Rose and Vanilla Kush. They have a few branches well above the screen and at the very back of the cabinet. They're the only ones that turn out half way decent.

For these pictures, I did something different. I held the camera down just above the screen at the side of the cabinet pointing toward the center. Here are the results:

picture.php

Here's a shot from the left side looking right. The Wild Rose is on the left, and the Mohan Ram on the right. You can see one of the dark room louvres, which is on the right side of the cabinet, and the open door on the right of the photo.

picture.php

Here's a shot from the right side looking left. The Psicodelicia is on the left and the Vanilla Kush on the right. The back of the cabinet is on the right, and on the far left edge you can see a bit of weather stripping where the door closes.

picture.php

Just to be consistent, here are those same Wild Rose colas I post so many pictures of.

picture.php

And of course, the Vanilla Kush.

Please stay tuned. We're getting close.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 42 of 12/12

Update @ Day 42 of 12/12

Buds are still filling in, I'm still feeding heavily, and everybody's still looking good. Hard to believe, could be as little as 2 weeks left for the Mohan Ram and Psicodelicia.

picture.php

Front left is the Mohan Ram main cola, and directly behind it is the Psicodelicia main cola. Over on the right is a Psicodelicia side branch.

picture.php

On the left is the Vanilla Kush main cola, and a side branch on the right. The buds are not very leafy, so this one should be easy (easier) to trim.

picture.php

And those same two Wild Rose buds. I can't get a good picture of its main cola. Even these side branches are getting pretty hefty.

Aroma-wise, this group is not too powerful. Usually around this time, the fragrance hits me like a brick wall when I open the cabinet door. With this group, not so much. The Wild Rose is most aromatic and distinctive. It has a very potent, very sweet, candy-like fragrance. The others are mildly sweet, but they just don't have much smell. Which is a good thing. Sometimes in the last couple of weeks, my air filter can get a bit overwhelmed. So far this time, nothing is escaping.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update@ Day 51 of 12/12

Update@ Day 51 of 12/12

This grow has been a little different than usual. Normally, around 4-5 weeks into veg, their growth starts to accelerate. That means that just one extra week of veg time can make a HUGE difference. Same during flower. Usually they hit a point where I'm watering every other day. Not this time. Their growth has been pretty steady throughout. Even over the last week or so, I've not had to water them more than every second day.

Not a big deal, but one of the signs I use to determine when they are finished is when their water intake starts slowing down (along with slowed growth and trichome color). Since their water intake never really got too high, I have to rely on trichomes alone. Which is turning out to be a bit confusing. I started checking trichomes this past week. They're (almost) all where I'd expect them to be around this time. The Wild Rose, Psicodelicia, and Vanilla Kush have mostly cloudy trichomes, and the Vanila Kush has a few amber. The Mohan Ram on the other hand has quite a few amber trichomes, with the rest mostly clear. It varies from bud to bud, but some are over half amber. And they've been like that since around the beginning of week 7.

Since I usually like to harvest when amber trichomes are just starting to appear, it would seem like the Mohan Ram is past due. Yet it's still thirsty and still growing. Hence my dilemma. Surely it can't have finished in just 7 weeks, which is what I'd have to assume based on trichomes alone. So I'm not sure what to do or how much longer to wait. Any experience with Mohan Ram or suggestions?

picture.php

Here are the Wild Rose (left) and Vanilla Kush (right) main colas. The VK still has those wide, fuzzy buds with relatively few leaves. It's really obvious here that the Wild Rose buds are much leafier. All are pretty frosty, though it doesn't show up too well in the photos.

picture.php

And here are the Mohan Ram (lower left) and Psicodelicia (upper right) main colas. Both of these also have VERY leafy buds. I'm also noticing some of the leaves on the Psicodelicia are curling up a bit around the edges. Not sure what that means.

We're definitely in the home stretch. Maybe the next update will be some harvest pictures!

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony!

Nice pics as usual, thanks for sharing. Plants are looking great ;)

Since I usually like to harvest when amber trichomes are just starting to appear, it would seem like the Mohan Ram is past due. Yet it's still thirsty and still growing. Hence my dilemma. Surely it can't have finished in just 7 weeks, which is what I'd have to assume based on trichomes alone. So I'm not sure what to do or how much longer to wait. Any experience with Mohan Ram or suggestions?

I had a few experiences with Mohan Ram and I think I once had a phenotype that also turned the the trichomes to amber with white pistils and with the appearance of needing an extra couple of weeks until harvest. Maybe it was a similar phenotype to the one you've got there...

I left it for a while, maybe 10 days more and that's what I would probably do if I were you.

Is it very frosty? Like with lots of trichomes?

I think that if you wait for 10 days you'll then still have almost half of the thricomes clear or milky, which combined with the fully mature ones can allow for a good mix that can help the complexity of the effect.

It's your decision. Keep us updated. Sweet smokes!

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 56 of 12/12

Update @ Day 56 of 12/12

Just finished week 8, and we're definitely getting close. The more closely I look at the Mohan Ram, the more confused I am. While some buds have a lot of amber trichomes, others have only a few. Regardless, I think its time is rapidly approaching. The Vanilla Kush is also showing a few ambers, so they'll both probably come down this week. The Psicodelicia, which I thought was also supposed to finish around the same time, still has mostly cloudy trichomes, as does the Wild Rose.

Did somebody ask about frostiness? Well these photos ought to answer that question. (If I take enough of these macro shots, I manage to get one relatively in focus every once in a while.) Feel free to compare and contrast (leafiness, frostiness, etc.), and come to your own conclusions.

picture.php

Here's the Mohan Ram, a frosty young lady.

picture.php

This is the Psicodelicia.

picture.php

The Vanilla Kush is getting that buds-growing-out-of-buds look. You can see on the right, a bit out of focus, another cluster of bods growing out the side. You can't really tell this close, but the VK has by far the widest, fattest buds of the group.

picture.php

Finally, the Wild Rose.

picture.php

Here's a section of the previous photo blown up to full size. You can clearly see the Wild Rose's mostly cloudy trichomes. See any amber?

You might also have noticed there are not too many non-white pistils on any of the plants. As far as I'm concerned, I don't pay much attention to pistil color in deciding when to harvest. I've had strains that were ready with all white pistils, and others where they've mostly changed color. So, as I've said, I'll be looking at trichomes, growth, and thirst. Should be soon!

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 59 of 12/12

Update @ Day 59 of 12/12

I chopped the Mohan Ram about an hour after the light came on last night, which means it got 58 full days of 12/12. It had been showing amber trichomes for over 10 days, its water intake had gone way down in the last few days (the others are still pretty thirsty), and it had stopped growing, so it was definitely ready.

picture.php

The main cola is to the left of the lighter. You can now easily see how the plant was trained. Almost all of the side branches made it up above the screen to form a nice, even canopy. I think that's why there are mostly big colas and very few popcorn buds. Total weight after trimming is 177.1 g, which will translate into a bit over an oz of dried buds. That's a little low, but on the other hand, I think the Mohan Ram will be the smallest of the group. If I end up with 5 oz, I'll be happy.

The others are starting to get close too. I'd guess they'll be ready within the next week or so.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Very nice Tony!

Yes, the train is now very clear and it was well done, allowing all the branches to reach the top.

A nice harvest. The 177g fresh may turn out to be something between 30 and 45g after dried. Mohan Ram usually produces some rock hard nugs, very compact and heavy.

Lets wait for the other plants ;) See you around, sweet smokes!

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Very nice Tony!

A nice harvest. The 177g fresh may turn out to be something between 30 and 45g after dried. Mohan Ram usually produces some rock hard nugs, very compact and heavy.

Thanks.

I keep detailed records and have a pretty good idea of what to expect yield-wise (with my setup, your mileage may vary). A plant this size will yield dried buds that weigh in at 18-20% of the fresh, trimmed, whole-plant weight. My official prediction for the final Mohan Ram yield: 32-35 g. Since the buds are very solid, I'm guessing it will be at the high end of that range. Be sure to check back in a few weeks to see how good my ESP really is.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Cheers Tony!

I'm sure you're right or very close to be right, but I'll keep passing by to check it out ;)

Thanks again for your participation here and for sharing your experience with all the details :)

Sweet smokes! :tiphat:

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Harvest Time!

Harvest Time!

The rest came down this week!!! The Vanilla Kush had been showing amber trichomes since week 7, and the Psicodelicia started showing soon after. Both were mostly cloudy with maybe 10% amber. The Wild Rose just started turning amber in the past few days. It had only a few. All of their water intake had dropped off and their growth had slowed WAY down. Could they have gone a little longer? Probably wouldn't have hurt, especially with the Wild Rose. But the times I'm able to pull everything out of the cabinet and stink up the whole house for hours at a time are limited. And after today, it doesn't look like I'm going to have any of those times for a while. So I chopped.

picture.php

Here's the Psicodelicia, chopped after 62 days of 12/12. The main cola is to the left of the lighter. It has some pretty fat buds, and looked bigger than the Mohan Ram, but weighed in at only 157.0 g (fresh, trimmed whole plant).

picture.php

This is the Wild Rose, chopped after 63 days. If you remember, it spontaneously split into a triplet. Two of those main colas are to the left of the lighter. The one on the far left is bent and pointing down toward the surface, so it's actually longer than it appears. The third branch of the triplet also grew a bit, but it looks like just another side branch. It too has some nice, solid buds, and weighed 188.2 g.

picture.php

The Vanilla Kush, chopped at 64 days, was the fat lady of the group. She was a hefty 225.7 g. Not surprising, since she had many more bud sites and very few leaves. The VK was a breeze to trim, relatively speaking. Again, the main cola is just to the left of the lighter.

Yield wise, I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting all of them to yield more like the Vanilla Kush. So it looks like the three Sweet Seeds strains yield a bit on the low side. But they're not dry yet, and density does matter, so I'll just have to wait and see. My prediction is I'll end up with between 4.75 and 5.25 oz when all is said and done.

Over the next few days, they'll be hanging to dry, then into ziplock bags for curing. So there will be no more weekly updates for a while. I'll be back to post the final weights and a smoke report when they're ready.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
One More Thing

One More Thing

Forgot to mention: As always when trimming, I scraped my scissors and made scissor hash balls. Not much to speak of for three of the plants, barely two small hits each. Except for the Wild Rose, which produced a nice little ball. As always, this "hash" tasted very light and mild, just a hint of hashy flavor. That is except for the Vanilla Kush. I only got two very small hits, but the VK scissor hash had a very full, rich, hash flavor. It tasted like the real deal, like I was in Morocco smoking some of their finest. Can't wait to for the VK to cure. I hope it tastes even half as good!