What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OMG!! New Dope Plant Doesn't Get People Stoned!!

SourPurp

Just a few words about 'marijuana research'...fucking completely ridiculous...the implication is that if only we could discover more about the plant in a lab that it will somehow benefit us MORE than just USING IT AS IT IS! Who the fuck cares about all these different alphabet soup names of cannabinoids? Just the smoke the stuff and get better...just eat the stuff and get better...just...There is nothing a scientist in a lab can do to marijuana to put it into a better form for consumption...the Creator has already done that. Can anyone really think of a better delivery system than a gleaming, towering, incredible resiny cola shining bright in the sun (or HPS heh heh)?? don't fall for these stupid games people..the game of 'implication'... Research on marijuana is so laughable and everyone has fallen for it....what more needs to be discovered, this is OUR PLANT, THe PEOPLES PLANT, and it's about fucking time we took it back!

cchem

The CBD's do work well for the sick but it does NOT mean you need to take the THC out of the bud lol..
As far as Isreal is concerned I would be happier with them if they were more forcoming with their reasearch and they made cannabis" LEGAL" in their country seeing as though it so fucked up there. PEACE OUT headband 707:tiphat:

Peace back. No one is saying otherwise. THC low pot is absolutely useless to treat anorexia wasting in cancer and AIDS patients - full stop! And yep 100% agree re Israel legalizing but then in a perfect world the sun would come up everyday and all would be smiling. Haha - SourPurp what more can be said mate?:)

psyphish

Veteran
Smoked some vaporized weed last night, propably lacked THC and other chemicals with low vaporization temperature. Didn't really feel any effect, but when I went to bed I noticed I was really relaxed and the pain on my feet (had surgery to fix broken calcaneus bones) had gone away.

I would definitely grow a fully medicinal strain along side with my recreational strains. Going to work every day wouldn't be such a pain.

cchem

Actually, I'll post this here so people don't misunderstand where I'm coming from on this. Google can just go ahead and punish me because I am writing an article about this now - some of which is already on my site. For the record I am in favour of legalizing all drugs and have been an outspoken advocate for this for a very long time (sack the pigs and screws and save billions on a wasted war against human beings).

The Proviso - Taking the Munchies out of Med

The Maariv daily article notes:

Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.

[End Quote]

Suffer? I don’t know about that! (I’m quite partial to the munchies myself).

There is a very obvious problem here where is comes to wasting (appetite loss) experienced by AIDS and cancer patients – the very reason that medical marijuana was identified as a positive treatment for cancer and AIDS related Anorexia. In simple terms, where THC increases the appetite, CBD doesn’t. This probably renders Israel’s THC free cannabis ineffective as a treatment for AIDS and cancer related wasting. For instance, research by Celia JA Morgan et al (2010) demonstrates that CBD-rich Cannabis works as an appetite suppressant. The study conducted at the University College London, tested 94 subjects on two occasions. The subjects smoked their own Cannabis and "while acutely under the influence" were offered more Cannabis, other drugs, and food. Morgan et al measured the eagerness with which the subjects responded to the offerings, and found that it correlated inversely with the CBD-to-THC ratio of the Cannabis the subjects were smoking. In other words, the higher the proportion of CBD they had ingested, the less desirous they became for food. 1

On the other hand, Israel’s Raphael Mechoulam notes this re THC:

One of the symptoms of AIDS is weight loss. Many patients smoke marijuana because it is an appetite stimulant. This has been supported by clinical studies. In one such study, the effects of THC (also known as dronabinol) (2.5 mg bid) on appetite, weight and nausea were examined in 39 patients with AIDS over a six-week period. After four weeks, the patients’ weights were stable in the treated patients but lower in the placebo recipients. The data indicated that drabinol caused increased appetite in about one-third of patients. The author of this study concluded that:

Dronabinol is a safe and effective treatment for anorexia in patients with weight loss due to AIDS. By improving appetite and mood, decreasing nausea, and stabilizing weight, dronabinol may significantly improve the quality of life of patients infected with HIV.2

[End Quoted]

Dronabinol is a synthetic THC and has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the control of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy and more recently for appetite stimulation of AIDS patients suffering from wasting syndrome. Synthetic dronabinol is supplied as MARINOL in the U.S. and consists of approximately 98% THC.

According to case reports of the Centre for Palliative Medicine and Paediatric Pain Therapy of the University of the Saarland (Germany) dronabinol is an effective and well-tolerated medicinal drug in the treatment of different severe illnesses in children. A scientist of a university reported of experiences from the treatment of 13 children with severe disabilities and spasticity aged 7 months to 17 years as well as of about 50 cancer patients aged three months and older.

All children in the trial received a slowly increased dose. In all children a reduction in pain, which was considerable in some of them, was observed within 48 hours after start of treatment. Efficacy with regard to spasticity set in within one to two weeks. In some patients opioid treatment could be reduced. Most cancer patients profited from an increase in appetite and weight, reduction of nausea and vomiting, as well as improved sleep and reduced anxiety. Even with long-term treatment no relevant side-effects were noted.3

A pilot study to determine if delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can improve taste and smell (chemosensory) perception as well as appetite, caloric intake, and quality of life for cancer patients with chemosensory alterations was undertaken by Brisbois TD et al (2011). In the study, adult advanced cancer patients, with poor appetite and chemosensory alterations, were recruited from two sites and randomized in a double-blinded manner to receive either THC (2.5 mg, Marinol(®); Solvay Pharma Inc., n = 24) or placebo oral capsules (n = 22) twice daily for 18 days. Twenty-one patients completed the trial. THC-treated patients reported improved and enhanced chemosensory perception and food 'tasted better'. Premeal appetite and proportion of calories consumed as protein increased compared with placebo. Additionally, THC-treated patients reported increased quality of sleep and relaxation.4

Marinol’s patent states:

Among the many problems endured by patients suffering from symptomatic HIV infection, which includes inter alia AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) and ARC (AIDS Related Complex), are loss of appetite with consequent loss of weight. This loss of appetite and loss of weight further debilitates the patients and increases the many problems associated with the HIV infection.

The compound delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the active ingredient in marijuana and which was produced chemically as described in U.S. Pat. No. 3,668,224, has been used as an antiemetic to relieve nausea and vomiting in patients receiving cancer chemotherapy.

A number of cancer investigators have used delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol to attempt to increase appetite and modify weight loss in cancer patients. For example, in a randomized double-blind crossover study employing oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and prochlorperazine, 50% of the subjects on delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol reported an increased food intake while only 29% had a similar response on the prochlorperazine..sup.1 In another study of similar design and using the same medications, patients on delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol reported feeling more hungry than patients on prochlorperazine..sup.2 Results suggestive of an appetite stimulating effect were also noted by Ekert, et al..sup.3 in groups of children and adolescents 6-19 years of age administered delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, prochlorperazine or metaclopramide in crossover design studies.

In a double blind study, Regelson, et al..sup.4 observed that advanced cancer patients on chemotherapy receiving delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol maintained their weight better than those not receiving the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

In an open study, Wadleigh, et al..sup.5 observed appetite increases and a lessening of the rate of weight loss in cancer patients.

[End Quote]

In addition, The first cannabinoid agonist, nabilone (Cesamet), which is a synthetic analogue of Δ9- THC was specifically licensed for the suppression of nausea and vomiting produced by chemotherapy. The synthetic Δ9- THC, dronabinol (Marinol) entered clinical treatment in1985 as an anti-emetic (preventing vomiting) and in 1992 as an appetite stimulant (Pertwee, 2009). In early studies, several clinical trials compared the effectiveness of Δ9- THC with placebo or other anti-emetic drugs. Comparisons of oral Δ9- THC with existing anti-emetic agents generally indicated that Δ9- THC was at least as effective as the dopamine antagonists, such as prochlorperazine (Carey et al., 1983; Crawford & Buckman, 1986; Cunningham et al., 1988; Layeeque et al., 2006; Ungerleider et al., 1984; Tramer et al., 2001).

Prochlorperazine, a non-cannaboid drug, belongs to a group of medications called phenothiazines. It is typically used as an antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia; however, it also commonly prescribed for nausea related illnesses including pregnancy (morning sickness). What’s most concerning about the latter is there is evidence to indicate that exposure to Prochlorperazine during pregnancy may have a teratogenic effect on the fetus. A teratogen is a substance that can cause birth defects. Additionally, it is not entirely known exactly how Prochlorperazine works. However, it is known that the drug blocks or lessens the effects of dopamine, a chemical in the brain. Since dopamine can activate the part of the brain that controls nausea and vomiting, prochlorperazine can treat severe nausea and vomiting.

Common side effects of prochlorperazine include, drowsiness, dizziness, unusual body movements, shakes or twitches, blurred vision, sexual problems and a dry mouth.
While more severe side effects are listed as:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness; wheezing); chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; drooling; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; mask-like face; muscle spasms of the face, neck, or back; muscle weakness; new or worsening mental or mood problems; numbness of an arm or leg; prolonged or painful erection; restlessness; seizures; severe or persistent constipation; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or headache; shuffling walk; sleeplessness; stiff or rigid muscles; sudden shortness of breath or vomiting; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, persistent sore throat); symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine; pale stools; severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, or loss of appetite); tremor; trouble urinating; twisting or twitching movements; uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, twitching of the face or tongue; loss of balance; uncontrolled movements of arms or legs; trouble speaking, breathing, or swallowing); unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual eye movements or inability to move eyes; unusual or excessive sweating; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; vision changes (eg. blurred vision).3

Sounds like great stuff! I.e. comparing cannabis to prochlorperazine is like comparing shit to shinola! And yet one is legal and the other is not. Go figure!

End to that. All I'm saying is the more options med users have the better. Each to their own. Take for example my condition which is PTSD. If I smoke very high THC to very low CBD medicine it pretty much creates massive anxiety which is exactly what PTSD is - so magnify this 10 fold and I am literally emotionally crippled and have panic attacks which in a worst case scenario results in a form of psychosis. On the other hand, some conditions require high THC for optimal treatment.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Peace back. No one is saying otherwise. THC low pot is absolutely useless to treat anorexia wasting in cancer and AIDS patients - full stop! And yep 100% agree re Israel legalizing but then in a perfect world the sun would come up everyday and all would be smiling. Haha - SourPurp what more can be said mate?:)

Awww perhaps you brought up what doctors have been worried about right there ppl with cancer....
Now that I come to think about it. For example if I have a patient that is had cancer and I want him/her to be treated with cannabis I don't want this person to feel" euphoria " I simply want them to eat or enjoy the side effects of the drugs not "get high" so to speak... which is why there are so many ppl that like the low thc in cannbis or atleast this is what I hear. I have a few friends that get this for their parents and they always ask for very low thc etc.
I don't know any doctor that wants anyone to feel euphoria period.. headband 707:tiphat:

S

SeaMaiden

I'll use my mom as an example here. She's in her 70s and is no stranger to weed, but she honestly prefers her white wine. She just doesn't do well with the high, and the higher the THC levels the worse off she is. She works in a demanding field where she *must* be on her game, always.

But! When she developed high blood pressure (surprising considering her size and weight, she's rather petite and has never been overweight), her docs put her on several drugs to help drop it. Those drugs were making her feel awful, so she decided to try a different route. That route became hot yoga and sparingly used medibles, and through that she was able to drive her BP down and get off three of the four meds she was on.

If someone wants to chime in that she should have changed her diet, that's all well and good, but as a dietitian who's very well-known in her profession, it's a foregone conclusion that diet was the first technique she tried.

She also talks a lot about the men she hires who come from deep in the heart of Mexico and all the traditional medicine they practice using cannabis in many forms. How they will use low-THC fan leaves in a poultice for an old person's arthritic joints. A trick taught to us by an old woman who was, for all intents and purposes, a walking botanico, to deal with my very colicky nephew was a stick of celery, 3" long, boiled in a cup of water and given to him--worked like a CHARM. So that is to say that the old peoples' methods often hold great wisdom that we have yet to tap.

We have a funeral service to attend this Saturday. Our neighbor, Colette, succumbed to her metastatic breast cancer three weeks ago. I honestly don't know if *any* cannabis would have helped her with much of anything except perhaps the chemo and radiation 'therapies'. Rest in peace, Colette, I truly hope you do.

cchem

I'll use my mom as an example here. She's in her 70s and is no stranger to weed, but she honestly prefers her white wine. She just doesn't do well with the high, and the higher the THC levels the worse off she is. She works in a demanding field where she *must* be on her game, always.

But! When she developed high blood pressure (surprising considering her size and weight, she's rather petite and has never been overweight), her docs put her on several drugs to help drop it. Those drugs were making her feel awful, so she decided to try a different route. That route became hot yoga and sparingly used medibles, and through that she was able to drive her BP down and get off three of the four meds she was on.

If someone wants to chime in that she should have changed her diet, that's all well and good, but as a dietitian who's very well-known in her profession, it's a foregone conclusion that diet was the first technique she tried.

She also talks a lot about the men she hires who come from deep in the heart of Mexico and all the traditional medicine they practice using cannabis in many forms. How they will use low-THC fan leaves in a poultice for an old person's arthritic joints. A trick taught to us by an old woman who was, for all intents and purposes, a walking botanico, to deal with my very colicky nephew was a stick of celery, 3" long, boiled in a cup of water and given to him--worked like a CHARM. So that is to say that the old peoples' methods often hold great wisdom that we have yet to tap.

We have a funeral service to attend this Saturday. Our neighbor, Colette, succumbed to her metastatic breast cancer three weeks ago. I honestly don't know if *any* cannabis would have helped her with much of anything except perhaps the chemo and radiation 'therapies'. Rest in peace, Colette, I truly hope you do.

SeaMaiden I'm truly sorry for your loss of a friend. RIP

cchem

Awww perhaps you brought up what doctors have been worried about right there ppl with cancer....
Now that I come to think about it. For example if I have a patient that is had cancer and I want him/her to be treated with cannabis I don't want this person to feel" euphoria " I simply want them to eat or enjoy the side effects of the drugs not "get high" so to speak... which is why there are so many ppl that like the low thc in cannbis or atleast this is what I hear. I have a few friends that get this for their parents and they always ask for very low thc etc.
I don't know any doctor that wants anyone to feel euphoria period.. headband 707:tiphat:

Haha yeah... no arguments on that one.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yeah this one is a very hard one to figure out for anyone going through Chemo/Cancer treatments of any kind... As each person is so different and what they have is individual aswell. I'm not sure if ppl on this board have heard of this but it's called" The Silver tour" teaching seniors the benifits of cannabis and showing them that it's not all bad. Showing them that it's better then the drugs that the doctor is giving them and it might help them get off some of their own drugs they are all for it. lol.. It's funny watching them see that it's not as bad as they have been lead to believe all these years. stay safe headband 707

ijim

While they have tunnel vision with the single minded goal of acquiring a FDA license to produce CBD based medications. They give no thought of them being accepted by the public or medical community. But a license to manufacture and distribute such medications. Would be a boon to corporate stock of the company. And the government representatives that have insider trading information on who and when such a product would be approved.

mr.brunch

Veteran
please dont call it 'dope'
this word insinuates that it makes users thick, and in my experience it does not do that!
govt loves the use of this word..... it likens the weed to zombie creating powders and pills

Latest posts

Latest posts