What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kit Kat's Kalichakra Coco Grow Show (1st time!)

Kit Kat

Got ahead of myself and dropped the light too close again, they didn't like that. The pots were a bit light as well, so I backed off all of the blumats a bit (but one tester) and let them do a steady drip. One arrow back was apparently way too much.

Heat stressed and a bit dry this morning:

After 4 hours of dark, the light raised to 24", and all but the back right blumat dialed to drip a bit more:

Veg tent, with 14 OG Kush cuts sitting in coco. These'll get loaded as soon as the Kalichakra is done and give the eventual mom some time to bulk up.

Kit Kat

12/12 started on July 1st with lights on during the night, here they are a week later, 20-21" tall. They're drinking about 2.5 gallons a night right now. With the heat easier to manage with lights on when it's coolest they've been doing way way better, I don't really check but once a night now.

Love these blumats, roots come reaching right up for the drippers...

Kit Kat

I just pulled a male tonight and took some shots of the rootball...

Where the carrot sits

Brushed away some loose coir, but this is the general surface - can't poke your finger through it

Busted it up with a fork, it's just this spongy mass

The air pruning holes on the wet side

The backside, I turned the drippers up faster to compensate, had no idea it was so dry, I think I'll order some 3mm hose so it can lead across to the opposite side from the carrot.

Kit Kat

Pretty bummed out, saw my humidity was rising and poked my head in during lights off to see if the dehuey turned itself off - looks like it fell over and crushed the middle row, pulled out all the blumat hosing while it was at it and dumped water everywhere. The remaining ones looked pretty unhappy.

Pulled the dehuey out and I'll survey the damage later when the lights go back on... le'sigh.

Kit Kat

Day 15

Day 15

Crushed a couple of them flat, but they've rebounded back it seems, although a bit shorter overall now. The two in the back are gettin' around to recovering. Pulled two more males, so down to six total.

The tallest one grew flat against the hood last night:

Pretty uneven canopy, especially now:

Kit Kat

Day 23!

Day 23!

It's comin' along, I believe the stretch finally finished. Thank god for that 'cause they were well on their way to breaking the 50" mark and I just didn't have room for that. Should've taken Harry to heart more, ended up having to break/bend the stems over to get it to stay under the light.

Here's the canopy now:

One of the bent (twice) stems:

The now opened up bottoms after stripping all the branches out that just weren't going to make it and opening up for some air flow:

Starting to look like they're actually flowering!

Completely ran out of vertical height:

Lessons learned so far... definitely take old hat advice for serious consideration - less plants (this would have worked out WAY better with 4 vs 6 since I'm not training them) - and spend some time throughout stretch defoliating huge fans, I noticed a lot of branches did some serious stretching down below to try and get around big fan leaves and were just a huge waste over all.

Kit Kat

Welp, it's pretty much completely out of control at this point. I should probably go in there and whack some of those branches that are vining their way up the sides of the tent but goddamn it's such a pain in the balls to move around in there. Today is Day 40 of flower, these pictures were from last night. Found my camera charger so I'll be able to provide consistent updates again. I seriously don't know what to do at this point except finish the run and take stock for the next one.

The ludicrous jungle right now:

The one the dehumidifier fell onto, and the only one not touching the glass:

Getting lazy about cleaning up down below... I'll take care of that this weekend, when I whack all the extra branches as well:

Aside from everything else the blumats are working out beautifully, love these things:

When I pull these things out there's like a quarter sized disc of flattened pistils at the top:

Kit Kat

Due to a large water leak in the home I had to tear down the entire set up in a helluva whirlwind of activity last night. Unfortunately they were fattening up really nicely and I'm pretty bummed I didn't get to finish it.

Maybe after everything settles down I'll get another pack of seeds and try again, knowing what I know now about how crazy these things grow.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
wow, im sorry to hear this homie. just read the entire thread.

hopefully, you have learned about canopy management. topping and LSTing to control the ladies...they can get a little out of control...especially in coco with blumats...

good luck on your next grow...dont be down on yourself...you just learned a super valuable lesson...thanks for turning me on to blumats

Kit Kat

Thanks for the encouragement! I certainly learned my lesson in canopy management, the growth with coco and blumats (even though I was told several times) was just so far outside my experience I was overwhelmed.

Next go around I'll be way more prepared.

As an aside, one of the back plants 3mm lines actually had roots growing up out of the coco and pulling the whole hose down inside of it, pretty awesome to see. All of the holes the carrots left behind were almost solidly encases in white roots as well.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Shame you had to tear down...but I know when you fire up again you will have an easier time of it due to lessons learned.
Have a good one.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
its all about learning lessons in this game. trying to improve on the mistakes you make before....ill be watching...make sure to post a link in here when you get the new fired up

Raedwulf

Gutted on your behalf, Kit Kat. You were doing well.
On the upside the experience will be invaluable to you when you are able to go again.

I'll be looking out for your next grow.

one of the back plants 3mm lines actually had roots growing up out of the coco and pulling the whole hose down inside of it, pretty awesome to see.
:yikes:

Think I saw that in a movie once, 'Day of the Triffids'? :fright:

BudHazer

i recommend to put the drippers higher otherwise the roots will grow in the drippers. happened to me one day. crazy roots :laughing:

Mister_D

Veteran
Just noticed your little show here KK :biggrin: Always wanted to crack some kalichakra. Satori and sadhu where impressive for the price :biggrin:.

As for your water situation, I recommend you call you county extension agent and ask if they have a recent (< 1 year old) analysis of your local tap water. Most do, and are happy to provide a free copy. If they don't, spend 20-30 bucks and send a sample to JR peters or custom hydro to see what's in that 510ppm. In the mean time I suggest you pop over to home depot or similar type store, and grab a "whole house filter". Here's a link to the type of filter you are looking for. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=whole+house+filter&storeId=10051 Grab one possibly two depending on whats in your tap. Much cheaper/less wasteful than ro.

Edit - Shit just noticed there are three pages and this is an old thread. Too much errl today...........