What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying Powdery Mildew Infected Buds?

Irael

Hey guys, so after 7 years of growing i finally catched my first batch of Powdery Mildew in my growroom.
I think it came from overcrowded plants in the growroom, or i got myself an infected cut from a shop..idk.

Unfortunately i am not able to control the Pm..i have been trying for weeks with baking soda, milk, neem all does not work..it speads rapidly.

Today i decided to cut my plants down and safe what i can safe while throwing the bad infected stuff away.

My question is now: Can i dry the "good" buds in the Growbox where the pm infected plants grew or will they get infected too while drying?

Greetz

RockinRobot

Firstly, if you can't get a handle on the PM in that room then, something is wrong with your environment in there. RH too high and too cold at night?

The buds probably already contain spores so keeping them in an area that is already prone to PM isn't advisable.

Not sure how big your grow area is but I would tear it down and disinfect everything before doing anything in there.

EasyGoing

if your buds have neem on them, they are garbage. Same with PM.

PM is systemic. It's in the plants blood stream now.

Irael

Firstly, if you can't get a handle on the PM in that room then, something is wrong with your environment in there. RH too high and too cold at night?

The buds probably already contain spores so keeping them in an area that is already prone to PM isn't advisable.

Not sure how big your grow area is but I would tear it down and disinfect everything before doing anything in there.

thanks for the reply man! I really dont know why i am not able to control the pm and why i got it in the first place!
I grow since 7 years in my 1m² Grow Tent and never had any signs of PM, this is the first time.

The Temps are between 22 and 28°C, so it cannot be too cold at night and the temp changes should also be in good range.
There are running 3 little Clipvents 24/7 for circulating the air...as an exhaust system i have a 420m² Carbon Filter with 400m² Pipe fan.

It really is a mystery to me how i got this and why i cannot control it!

I will just cut the buds off which look like they are not infected and dry them in a seperate place..i will throw the other stuff away and desinfect my growbox for the next run!

Greetz

Stonier Jump

if your buds have neem on them, they are garbage. Same with PM.

PM is systemic. It's in the plants blood stream now.

Systemic powdery mildew huh? Maybe you need to do a little more research before you make claims like that.

IMO the PM will continue to live and spread after cutting. Plant is still alive for a few days after chop and PM will continue to feed, grow and spread. All really depends on how bad infection is and drying procedures. You can try washing buds, helps slow growth post harvest but screws with look and flavor in a bad way. Even if people say it helps with flavor my experience it is opposite. PM sucks, but is definately controllable and contrary to popular belief changing humidity will do very little to control it.

RockinRobot

thanks for the reply man! I really dont know why i am not able to control the pm and why i got it in the first place!
I grow since 7 years in my 1m² Grow Tent and never had any signs of PM, this is the first time.

The Temps are between 22 and 28°C, so it cannot be too cold at night and the temp changes should also be in good range.
There are running 3 little Clipvents 24/7 for circulating the air...as an exhaust system i have a 420m² Carbon Filter with 400m² Pipe fan.

It really is a mystery to me how i got this and why i cannot control it!

I will just cut the buds off which look like they are not infected and dry them in a seperate place..i will throw the other stuff away and desinfect my growbox for the next run!

Greetz

What is the humidity level during lights out? Most common causes of mold and PM is too high humidity during the dark period. They are fungus that thrive in high humidity. My room sits at about 40-50% RH when the lights are on but can jump to 80-90% when the lights go off without a dehumidifier.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I don't remember the ratio, but you can use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to rinse the PM off your finished flowers. Dunk, soak a few minutes, swish around a bit and then rinse with clean water. Hang to dry.

I tested some flower rinsed this way once and could barely detect mold on the exhale. Nobody else could taste it at all. I was rather surprised.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I have found the PM to not spread after cutting. I trim the buds and remove all sugar leaves and all that have pm spores on them. PM is a parasitic fungus that lives off the hosts sugars etc. When you cut the plant you are removing the water source immediately and all regular prcoesses stop. kind of like when your plant is so dry it is wilting, it is shutting down operations so it can stay alive as long as possible in hopes of water arriving soon. With out this internal water pressure all the sugars and nutrients aren't moving through the pathways like normall, so the way i see it the fungus cant get fed and stops producing spores etc.

just my opinion based on what I have noticed. I slow dry at 70F 60RH for 6-10 days.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Additionally, spores combust at 140F I think, don't quote me, and a joint or lighter runs at 800F so obviously don't give out buds that are compeletely covered, but don't worry about a couple spores here and there killing your friends. If it is more severe make BHO or Cannabutter.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’ve used the method proposed by Cervantes & it works to a point.
But...
Throw that shit away!

Bobby Boucher

Don't simply make bho out of it, as somebody previously suggested. It will taste like concentrated mold. You are better off carefully snipping away every last bit of nasty and throwing it away.

If I was tryna rinse it, Id divide the rest of the plant up into as many sections as possible according the how close the nugs were to the mold, and I would run each of those sections seperately. In my experience, a tiny little bit of mold will fuck up any puddle you throw it into, so.. better to keep runs small and separate.

TheBlaze

Wash with a mixture of bicarb and concentrated lemon juice. No peroxide necessary. It will remove alot of the pm on the buds, and make it safe to smoke. You won't be able to sell it, but you will have something to smoke. I've done this with zero problems.

Also, look into fungicides that contain tebuconazole. Spray the plants first week of flip, and you will have no more PM.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Mold spores are extremely tiny!
The only sure fire way to completely remove them is to use a .2 micron syringe filter. Or so I’ve heard.

I always assumed that Butane pulls out thc waxes and cannabinoids terpenes for a specific reason. Something chemical I guess. Does it just extract all small particles below a certain size or how does it actually extract ?

coldcanna

Veteran
I always assumed that Butane pulls out thc waxes and cannabinoids terpenes for a specific reason. Something chemical I guess. Does it just extract all small particles below a certain size or how does it actually extract ?

Solvents work based on polarity. The principle is "like dissolves like". So butane is non-polar as are fats, waxes, and cannabinoids, thus butane dissolves them well. Butane does not dissolve Pm it just sweeps it along for the ride. So the cannabinoids are in solution where as the PM is in suspension. You can filter things out of suspension but not out of solution.

-I should edit that- you would need very advanced methods to filter things out of solution, ie: chromotagraphy

Bobby Boucher

I haven't really played with those watman filters much, but if you throw a few grams of mold into a pound and rinse it down, the mold will assumedly be dispersed evenly throughout your whole patty, causing the whole thing taste like a bathroom floor tile, and you'd wind up having to run all that erl through your lil filters. Whereas if you blasted a couple ounces at a time, starting at the bottom of the plant and working to the top, and isolated your patties, you'd probably only have 1-2 small patties at the end that warranted filtering.

I know this probably seems obvious and redundant, but hey.. ya never know.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Solvents work based on polarity. The principle is "like dissolves like". So butane is non-polar as are fats, waxes, and cannabinoids, thus butane dissolves them well. Butane does not dissolve Pm it just sweeps it along for the ride. So the cannabinoids are in solution where as the PM is in suspension. You can filter things out of suspension but not out of solution.

-I should edit that- you would need very advanced methods to filter things out of solution, ie: chromotagraphy

Thanks for the explanation that's some good info, you know your stuff ;)

What filtration effect would the winterizing process with 191 Alcohol/Ethanol have as it removes most waxes and impurities?

Latest posts

Latest posts