What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much do dispensary owners make? How to find figures

EasyGoing

Who dictates the pricing of cannabis in the dispensary? could an eighth sold for 50 bucks be reported as being sold for 40?

I'm not saying anything about backdoor sales.......

As I understand it, that is where the track and trace computers come in. Once scanned, it's in the system. From new inventory to sales, it's all recorded and priced.

I guess if paying cash you could overcharge your customer and pocket the difference. Both is wrong, but if I had to choose, I would skim from Uncle Sam instead of patients.

MrBungle

Of course I hope no one does that.... I'm kinda just playing devil's advocate here..... it is an interesting topic for sure...
While I'm sure in Cali a lot of the crooked dispensaries have been dealt with since dispensaries have been around for a while....
Other places where the concept is still new.. I'm sure there are plenty of loopholes to take advantage of sadly..

I noticed this is in a Cali forum... So I should probably see myself out the door

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Of course I hope no one does that.... I'm kinda just playing devil's advocate here..... it is an interesting topic for sure...
While I'm sure in Cali a lot of the crooked dispensaries have been dealt with since dispensaries have been around for a while....
Other places where the concept is still new.. I'm sure there are plenty of loopholes to take advantage of sadly..

I noticed this is in a Cali forum... So I should probably see myself out the door

Well it is International Cannagraphic Bungle....so I'm sure California don't mind a few foreigners dropping by here from time to time....lol

soil margin

Veteran
Some time after the post prohibition novelty wears off, there has to be a point where there is less stress about small local growers entering the market.

I sure hope so. The idea that no one can grow cannabis for profit without some insane $100k license issued by the city council or whatever is ridiculous. It's so blatantly obvious that the system is designed from the ground up to keep small independent players out of the business.

EasyGoing

No it's not Soil Margin.

I could talk about how much money I have, vs how much I am asking for, but I don't want to get into personal details. Investors right now are throwing money at the right people, with the right licences. So really, just pay for the licence and the money will follow, IMO.

Field of dreams. If you build it, they will come. https://youtu.be/7SB16il97yw

However, I am looking at about 75k just in permits. Trying for 4 licences.

Gry

I live in the middle the middle of the valley. There have been 5 shops with in a two block area. 3 closed, one is hanging on.The fourth one looks like it will make it.
They each started out with the same things.
In thinking about them, I would have to say that the winning formula, involved great prices for top shelf, and very friendly environment.
The numbers offered up earlier for prices are not being met here.
It was my experience the people who ran them loved speaking numbers, it was the central topic as they tried to figure out how make things work.

green404

I have had been going to dispensaries in Colorado since 2008 and watched more then 90% of them go under and move on.

The few that are still around ether have great product, service, prices or they have lots of money to hold out. The hold outs are usually trying to sell or sell franchises.

We had two booms where dispensary owners made money hand over fist. 2008 When medical was legal the first dispensaries had multiple cash registers running full time. Then,, they market was flooded with a dispensary on every corner(that was legally permitted).
When Rec was legal same pattern, the first dispensaries in the rec market had lines out the door until the market was flooded.

The reality of the industry is it has attracted a lot of get rich quick/fly by night people. I would say the average dispensary owner is losing money.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Here in Massachusetts, I know of a dispensary that just opened a couple months ago. It's got big fences, a guard shack, serious security, all new building, parking lot etc. Retail is scheduled to begin at the end of the month, but will be late. The town where the dispensary is voted to not allow retail, so they only have medical. Neighboring towns have banned retail as well. At $375, I have to wonder if the dispensary owners will loose their investment if the can only sell to cardholders and the price is so high.

Gry

Here in Massachusetts, I know of a dispensary that just opened a couple months ago. It's got big fences, a guard shack, serious security, all new building, parking lot etc. Retail is scheduled to begin at the end of the month, but will be late. The town where the dispensary is voted to not allow retail, so they only have medical. Neighboring towns have banned retail as well. At $375, I have to wonder if the dispensary owners will loose their investment if the can only sell to cardholders and the price is so high.
375 an ounce would be enough to make anyone with an ongoing need start up a grow.

A ppk worked for me. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336515

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Legalization and retail shops opening soon will change up the game.

Latest posts

Latest posts