What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

21 days from seed... what's going on?

Hey guys, I have 11 bodhi goji OGs 3 weeks from seed, and something seems a bit off.

Plants are in 3.5" square pots containing pro mix, perlite, worm castings, and dolomite lime (3-1-1 ratio with 1 cup of dolomite lime per cubic foot. They are under 4 6500k cfls and 4 5000k leds. Temp/humidity have been around 79/35 with less than 5 degree drop during lights off (18/6 at the moment, 24 hours on for first two weeks. For circulation I have a big window box fan as shown in pic. Like a dummy, I had it blowing directly on my plants. Come to find out this may have caused some issues. Believe the fan was causing the media to dry to quickly, while stressing the plants. I flipped the fan around so it's pulling air off of the plants now, causing minimal movement of the leaves. They were also watered with an EWC/molasses tea (2 days ago for the fan and watering). The media has remained moist, and now it almost looks like they're overwatered.

Having a hard time figuring out what the heck I'm doing wrong. Should have mentioned there are 8 th seeds bubblegums around the perimeter, and they seem to be doing fine, although they were germinated 5 days after the Goji OG.

First time growing in organic soil, bit of a learning curve. Also been on a 6 year hiatus due to other obligations so certainly some rust to shake.

Speed of green

Agreed, i like to let the promix dry out until the top of the soil pulls away from the pot. with plants that size it could take around a week, maybe more. Looking good otherwise!

MTNMEN

I am just a dirt farmer who learned by trial and error so i just wanted to say, ive neevr had any ill effects from fans blowing on my plants unless the blades were pushing air too strongly and my leaves would get wind burnt, Was i wrong in assuming everything was fine? Btw would gently squeezing each damp container be helpful in getting that moisture wicked outa that soil?

Ratzilla

Veteran
I also think watering to often when looking at your plants.
I would not think of squeezing water out to be a safe thing.
You could put some wicks into the bottom holes of your pots.
Setting the pots up on something to allow for these wicks to hang some will help them dry down.
Use a material that's made to soak up moisture (sham wow) .
Ratz :tiphat:

I believe the plants are rootbound and as a result are making the plants go from over watered to underwatered... at least I think. Will be up potting this week.

picture.php

picture.php

stonedfly

roots look really healthy!

Im sure with a little rest after the transplant, they will perk right up.

I have 12 Goji OG seedlings going right now in solo cups, and I only water them 1 times a week if that.

looking good man!

Probably should have watered before work rather than after. Very dehydrated. Sprayed them and watered with EWC/molasses tea. Lights off soon, hopefully things will start looking up in the morning

heatherlonglee

More air movement (root zone especially), less water, CFL or T-5/t-8/12 Fluorescent light. Cant tell what lights your you using looks like no real 5 finger leaves. With 40-50 watts of CFL you can get 5 finger leaves, maybe tinny; but no five fingers means not enough light to me. Fluorescents work for the babies.

Last edited:

heatherlonglee

Two other thoughts. When you spray plants they can get droopy looking for 2-16 hours. If soil is to compacted they'll act and look as you describe.

Lights are 4 1600 lumen 6500k bulbs (26w?), and 4 800 lumen 10w LED 5000K bulbs.

Soil is definitely compacted, is there a way to loosen it up without harming the plants, or do I just need to transplant?

There are 5 finger leaves coming off, still small growth though.

heatherlonglee

Transplant just dump the Pro-Mix in let it settle when you water, then just top the pot off with Pro-Mix as needed. LED will make funny looking leaves in Veg in my opinion (from what I see in photo's) that doesn't mean much really, plants are alive and will be fine in flower assuming your using HPS or CMH or similar. In flower with the HPS or CMH turned up LED seem to help with the tricromes. If LED is making up more than 30%-40% of your light thats going to make funny looking leaves in my opinion. I tried LED/CFL mix in veg, plants hated it. I went back to CFL happy again. I'm very critical of how the leaves look. I see plenty of dank big buds in photo's with leaves that I wouldn't be happy with. You can still have dank buds with a few funny looking leaves so not a deal breaker the LED lights. After repotting bring the lights closer start with 1-2 inches closer and see what happens as far as leaf size and finger number. Running 100% organic you may end up chasing your tail trying to have perfect photo quality looking plants. Keep them Green and growing vigorously and that's as happy as they really have to be.

Transplant just dump the Pro-Mix in let it settle when you water, then just top the pot off with Pro-Mix as needed. LED will make funny looking leaves in Veg in my opinion (from what I see in photo's) that doesn't mean much really, plants are alive and will be fine in flower assuming your using HPS or CMH or similar. In flower with the HPS or CMH turned up LED seem to help with the tricromes. If LED is making up more than 30%-40% of your light thats going to make funny looking leaves in my opinion. I tried LED/CFL mix in veg, plants hated it. I went back to CFL happy again. I'm very critical of how the leaves look. I see plenty of dank big buds in photo's with leaves that I wouldn't be happy with. You can still have dank buds with a few funny looking leaves so not a deal breaker the LED lights. After repotting bring the lights closer start with 1-2 inches closer and see what happens as far as leaf size and finger number. Running 100% organic you may end up chasing your tail trying to have perfect photo quality looking plants. Keep them Green and growing vigorously and that's as happy as they really have to be.

Thank you for all of the information! I will have to reorganize the closet (won't be moving to tent for at least a week), and will be taking all of your suggestions into account. I am going to replace the leds with cfls, and wil repot.

I am using lc mix 2 with recipe 1, so this soil is already loaded with nutrients and micro organisms. Plants should be happy once transplanted.

Picked up some liquid seaweed today at the shop... bloom seaweed ( durvillia). Comparable to neptunes harvest /maxi crop? Would it be beneficial to add some to my ewc / molasses tea for transplant?