What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quarantine home made cups for rooting cuts

Beuhologue

Hi ;)

I thought about a solution to quarantine more effectively not yet rooted cuts received, either by mail or hand to hand, to prevent secondary infections, and confine the insects/diseases/pests carried by each cut, especially for those who receiving cuts of several sources that ultimately end up in the same space.

Advantages:

_Possibilities to observe cuts, to move the clones from quarantine to a distant place of treatment without contaminating healthy plants and those in quarantine;

_The certified healthy clones can move faster towards to the mother plants place;

_Less pesticide;

_Treatements are faster and more efficient;

_Once a clone of a variety are rooted are bug or problem free, the others may be placed in the freezer and thrown away or kept until eradication/until the death of cuts of by reducing to a minimum the risk of collective contamination;

_Cheap.

Equipment:

_Plastic clear glasses/cups ;

_1cm thick Dacron (white felted material, material socks surrounding carbon filters);

_Hot glue pistol;

_Transparent tape;

_Sharp cissors/and/or scalpel.

How to do?

_Cut regularly the bottom of a plastic cup;

_Cut Dacron strips one centimeter and a half wide;

_Stick a Dacron band on the upper edge of the lower part of the cup, not need more of 5 or 6 glue lines perpendicular to the top edge to stick it;

_Once the glue cooled, passing the bottom of the cup in the upper part of the cup, and lower the bottom to adjust the 2 parts keeping the Dacron strip horizontal well and regular, adjustment overwrites Dacron which 1cm passes to 3mm;

_Put 4 large glue dots overlapping the two inner sides of the cup to fix these two parts together;

_Opportunities to multiply the vents/barriers to insects

++!

Envoyé de mon iPad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40

I wood

While I do think your method would work well, a cup a sandwich bag and a rubber band perform the same task with much less work.
Being able to toss the occasional bad cut is very useful.

growingcrazy

While I do think your method would work well, a cup a sandwich bag and a rubber band perform the same task with much less work.
Being able to toss the occasional bad cut is very useful.

You can even go a step further and just set them in a 1 gallon bag, breathe into the bag a little and seal it.

I will set cuts in solo cups in the bag with about 1/4" of water or so. Simple and the bag is still useable for whatever else! :)

growingcrazy

Yeah buddy! Looks like a subway cookie display..lol

You just peel the cans away or do the plants slide right out?

Beuhologue

Hi folks!

Hi folks!

Yo!

It really effective, as rooting environement and for observation, (some rootings in 5 days)
I receive 23 cuts from a friend, this friend had thrips few weeks ago, and send me some cuts at a moment where he trust that the problem is solve,
On the 23 cuts, one still have 2 eggs, after few days in my quarantine environnement, the thrips break their eggs and start to walking on leaves.
When I see it, no stress at all, the problem is allready kept inside my quarantine cups, I'm not afraid for infection spreading, after inspection, there is just one cut.

I open the cup, kill the 2 thrips by pinching the leaf, treat it by spraying, cups are stick again together, plant back in quarantine, operation: 3 minutes :)

=>No stress
=>gain of time
=>gain of money (less pesticide to spill)
=>limitation of the pollution (divide the amount of spraying by 23 this time, but I got 27 other cuts from an other friend by side, so you could divide it by 50)

In response to ####, plastic cup is a better choice than plastic bag, plastic sheet folding of the bag + humidity inside the bag = hard to see inside
Plastic cup ==>humidity inside==> you knock the bottom of the cup and majority of water fall down and left you with a better vision inside,

++!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 35
B

biologic

That's a pretty cool idea for a quarantine but how do you ensure sufficient air flow inside those cups?

Last edited:

Beuhologue

That's a pretty cool idea for a quarantine but how do you ensure sufficient air flow inside those cups? Are there small holes for the air intake on those cups? And what happens with excess water? Are there holes on the bottom for the drainage?

Hi Biologic!

no holes in the bottom
For rooting cuts you need high level of humidity (90%) and the quarantine capsules provide it, the humidity decrease with time because the white material is a kind of synthetic coton called Dacron that let excess humidity go out with heat (but not thrips or spider) after 3 weeks I need to water clones with a syringe because it start to dry, sometimes I knock the bottom of cup on the table and all condensation fall down and the root cube absorb it, and the cycle start back :)

The version with the 2 holes in the cover with Dacron in the holes work the same that the layer of Dacron glued version, a lot faster and same excellents results, just the concept of individual capsule work very well for rooting, and for quarantine

++

Beuhologue

There is a lot of humidity in it (more than the little propagators for clones and seeds) and sometimes a piece of yellowing leaf start to mold (botrytis),
but I cut it and the problem is solve in 2 seconds,

++

Latest posts

Latest posts