What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plant Variegation

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I thought I would start a thread to discus these types of issues. I have 2 Cultivars that exhibit this recessive trait.. The Sour Dubble and wifi#43.. There is some differences between these 2. The sdubb only has the pigment color type and the wifi#43 has that plus some leaf crinkle with a curl to the tip. I have been able to fix the Sdubb with higher levels of N+MG in a foliar feeding. I have found no problems with the quality. It only effects the looks. I have not been able to fix the wifi#43. If we can get a good discussion going maybe some remedies can be found. Here are some pics of both

Sour Dubble
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After the higher dosages of N/MG. This 1 is fixed
picture.php

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the wifi#43.. I have tried the same fix I used on the sdubb with no effect. This is my 1st run of her. I'm still figuring out what she likes best. I'm not so sure this type can be fixed. As you can see its a different type of variegation. Half a leaf blade is effected.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Terpz

Very interesting indeed.
I had to kill a couple phenos of the 'Area 43' due to the same issue.
Below is an 'A43' pheno with the same traits you described. New growth became very spindly and eventually stopped chlorophyll production.

A few OGR beans showed similar traits too.

I've heard everything from broad mites to tmv and some saying it is just the way it grows and nothing to worry about. I'm very curious myself and would love to know what is going on?
Have you noticed it spreading to other strains?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
So I thought I would start a thread to discus these types of issues. I have 2 Cultivars that exhibit this recessive trait.. The Sour Dubble and wifi#43.. There is some differences between these 2. The sdubb only has the pigment color type and the wifi#43 has that plus some leaf crinkle with a curl to the tip. I have been able to fix the Sdubb with higher levels of N+MG in a foliar feeding. I have found no problems with the quality. It only effects the looks. I have not been able to fix the wifi#43. If we can get a good discussion going maybe some remedies can be found. Here are some pics of both

Sour Dubble
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

After the higher dosages of N/MG. This 1 is fixed
View Image

IMHE if they shine with the right environmental, it is not defective genes (unless it was bred for the specific environment you give it now, soil and otherwise)

I am finding that some of the more particular strains don't like the one size fits all soil profile, but that is not genetic defect in my eyes, just genetic diversity (phenotype variation ultimately exists for species survival)

Terpz

Here is a clone of Green Crack showing similar variegation as well.

This is the only mature plant displaying these traits. The others surrounding her look normal and healthy.

As I mentioned in my post above, I had to kill 3 seedlings, out of ~40popped, also displaying these traits. Those seedlings also had the Wifi43 in the genetic makeup.
I've been treating the mature plants with azotrol root drench and organicide foliars as preventatives. If this was broad mites, wouldn't they spread to other plants? As Frostbyte mentioned above, the only has two cultivars displaying these traits.. I'm sure those two strains aren't the only plants in his garden? Do broad mites act the same as spider/russet in the sense they will continue to spread throughout an entire crop?
I appreciate any info based on past experience.

Terpz

Have you scoped the plants? Looks like possible broad mite damage. Get a 100x scope to check. Look into it.

Hey 50Yard, I checked the underside of leaves with a 40-100x scope and saw no sign of broad mites, damage or movement. I've been treating veg with preventatives and like I mentioned above, the variegation is only visible on Green Crack and few new seedlings popped. Everything else in the grow looks green and healthy.
Does the original Green Crack clone show signs of leaf variegation? Is this normal or something to be concerned about? :chin: Lets get this thread going!

frostqueen

I was wondering why this is in the infirmary section. Variegation is natural in some strains, especially WiFi. It isn't something to 'fix'. Although some of those pics with deformations do hint at a different issue. I've made quite a few 'The White' hybrids and many show this trait while being very vigorous and healthy.

Latest posts

Latest posts