What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE ULTIMATE PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL HASH PRESS FOR UNDER 20 BUCKS !!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Bulénath said:
HempKat,

"Being that it's fairly fresh too, some of that resin is probably still in a rather oily state (the contents of the gland heads on the trichomes). Pressing that would likely release that and be soaked up by the plant material possibly helping everything to burn a little better?"

I believe that may be one of the main reasons behind the better burning.
It is true that Hand-rubbed hash is immediately smokeable becasue the oily glands have been thoroughly mulled like play-doh, exposing the insides to oxygen which causes an immediate reaction, some kind of process like Carboxylation or Oxidization?
This is opposed to letting weed cure, with the glands in a undistured, perfect state, to slowly metabolize the moisture within, while the outside is slowly being exposed to air over relatively long periods of time.

As far as flushing, well I am not the biggest fan of it. I have tried it a couple times, and I find no real difference in the way my buds end up smoking. Maybe it's because of the potting medium and fertz that I use. I grow 100% orgainc with a semi-soiless mixture and use strictly Pure Blend Pro.
I also hang dry my weed, in 50% ambient RH, in a dark closet, hung over my grow box's exhaust, with my bedroom's air conditioner set to 60F, for roughly seven days, by which time the buds are so crispy dry, they can be crumbled between my pointer finger and thumb. Then I cure in Glass on Glass Apothecary jars for two weeks+.

Either way, the fact that it is smoking down to white ash, more so than the same ganja left unpressed, I think has much to do with exact same reason why my bongs have never been cleaner. Seriously, 5 grams of pressed ganja make my bong as dirty and half a gram of regular ganja!

Maybe it is because, like you suggested Hempkat, that the trichomes are still in a "oily" state, because they have not been properly drying for long enough and remain slightly moist. This, combined with heat and pressure, cause the oily glands to burst and evenly soak up amongst the ganja being pressed.

So now, not only does the Ganja burn more evenly, but because it is pressed together, there is less black ash particles that create an invisible mist traveling down the inside of my Roor's diffuser, which, coupled with the smoke-oil, usually casues my diffuser to blacken up quickly.
But because the pressed ganja is burning evenly and more optimally, without requiring an external flame for each hit, what would be black ashes is burnt down to white ashes, which no longer dirty my diffuser and bong water.

Anyway, it is just a theory. Feel free to add your own explanations!
It all sounds reasonable to me. :yes:

Bulénath

Well I finnaly made my own hash!

It came out very soft like plah-doh, just like India's best Charas known as "cream". It was so good! Thank you Pipedream. Not only did you inspire me to grow my own all those years back, but you also inspired me to make hash! Pipedream, you are truley one of ICM most valuable assest, and I thank you for everything you have given us.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

Thanks and I'm humbled by your words. I'm usually just passing on what others here have shown me. I can't begin to count the things I've learned from this valuable sharing community.

"Waz" One Love and warm regards! pd

tintala

Just called Michaels, had em, went there , sold em out!! WTF?

Just called Michaels, had em, went there , sold em out!! WTF?

I decided to go to call Michaels here to see if they had one, so yeah they had 2 in stock , so i go 3 hrs later, AND WTF?????? WTF??? they sold them!?!?!?!?!?! :rant: :laughing: :badday: . THEN this Michaels calls the one in another town close to me, and WTF???? WTF??? they were out!!!!! :nono: :rant: , so i go home, look up HOBY LOBBY< , so i call them, and WTF? They had 1 left!!!!!! So i asked her to put it on hold and she reluctanlty did! WTF? but it is cheaper than Michaels. 24$ rather than 30$. So jeeeesus, these things are hard to keep in stock apparantly, I guess it would be a good buisness to start inventing a damn hash press. Since they are all sold out in my area!!!!!! #@$%&#^@^

E

eidanyosoy

Damn Hard to find

Damn Hard to find

yeah so Michael's near me said they no longer stock the item and it was discontinued. What a load of crap, finally got one from PCM for 50 bucks in stainless steel. This thing is quality, thanks!

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
Bulénath said:
Anyone else notice that pressed ganja burns smoother and doesn't dirty the bong & downstem/diffuser as fast?

do you normally press your nugs into disks? i was wondering about doing this to make it a lil easier to travel with. do you just press it like you would a normal hash disk?

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran

I for one do. Well not "always", but I do keep a supply on hand for both traveling and using in bongs.

It works best if you use top quality closly trimmed buds and grind them finely first.

Bulénath

I have yet to grind within a coffe grinder as PipeDream does.'

However I have a Medium Space Case Titanuim version with screen.

I just grind my nugs up really good and then press about a gram.

Never have I tried whole nugs!

C

Chamba

Originally Posted by stretchpup
Thanks Pipedream. Picked one up and it's fun to play with.

I've a question for ya'll.

I use the Gypsy Nirvana stash box with two screens.

you are not the only one!

they on special right on Seedbay.com for just 37 quid which is excellent value!

I'm pressing 1gram blocks from both screens, and have tried using a little heat (top of the cable box) and some without, and even mixing the two grades of kif.

one gram is probably too slim, try pressing 3 ~ 5 grams at a time containing less contaminants with more heat and more pressure ..if resin won't easily form into a solid, then that's nature's way of telling you there's too much broken leaf in there

No matter what I do all my discs crumble from either screen size.

Am I applying too much pressure?

Sounds like there's too much non resinous material in there so it could be from pressing too hard, then again it could also be what you're using to clean with.

that's definitely it...keep in mind that there is only 5% ~ 10% of resin on mature well cared for plant material..if it's been handled wrong, cut early or packed in plastic bags often 25% ~50% of the potential resin is not there.

Those stash boxes with screeners are nice for helping to seperate seeds and stems from the stuff you want to smoke, but their screens are usually too big for good hash making.

most kif or stash boxes on the market produce excellent hash........mesh size is only part of the equation, good starting material and a good dry sifting technique are just as important!

You should be using a 110 mesh silk screen which, to give you an idea, that mesh is so fine that when looking thru the screen you can't see thru it. Stash boxes with screens, grinders with screens, they're really not meant to use for hash.

meshes that range from 90 ~ 145 LPI can produce good hash..depending on the strain and technique

and btw the dual screen Gypsy Nirvan stash boxes meshes are 120 and 145 lines per inch and will definitely produce very clean, blond resin that will press together with light thumb pressure in your palm in seconds..but you are right, those grinders with screens are really a good introduction to the world of producing your dry sifted essences, but are not designed with purity in mind, but will produce a stronger smoke than the bud it came from.

for accurate mesh measurement, use a photographer's loupe (used for checking out slides) aka a "thread counter". most loupes have half CM and 1/8th inch markings on them...hold the loupe tight against the mesh, count a 1/4 or 1/2 an inch worth of lines or threads then multiply by 4 or 2 times to get the exact lines or threads per linear inch size of the mesh..the average human eye can count up to 200 lines per inch with a standard loupe

Now it may be that you are working it thru the screen too agressively and if so then easing up should reduce the amount of plant matter getting in there and that should help to make it stick together better.

that's it....it's more about technique than mesh size when it comes to quality....if improving the quality of hash you produce is important to you, do a search through this hash section as there is lots of good info from lots of posters, just as there is in this thread......spend a few hours, read and learn!

also a magnifying glass is the dry sifter's friend..it will tell you when to stop....a gentle technique will help too and of course it's all about what you start with too..the better quality starting material, the better end result.

You can also try to re-sift the resin several times through the two screens, stopping when about 80% has passed through the meshes..the (80%) fall through will contain a higher % of resin heads and the (20%) stuff that stays above the mesh will be mostly contaminants

Also setting the press with the hash in it on top of a cable box is not really heating it much. You should try something like a hairdryer as suggested/recommended by the thread starter

I reckon loose, unpressed resin smokes smoother, burns more evenly, goes further and tastes better.....every time you press resin, you loose a little, plus you bust open the protective layer around each resin head exposing and degrading the THC..but hey, that's just me lol, but if pressing it turns you on, go for it!

..if cannabis was legal, we would all smoke only very pure, loose, dry sifted resin which is the unadulterated essence of the plant and is cleaner for your lungs...pressing resin into blocks is really only good for smuggling and convenient for selling..but it is fun sometimes to play with your resin and form shapes and discs!

Happy Hashing!

Decades ago, I used to buy Thai bud that was trimmed very tight down to just about bud/calyxes only, every bit of leaf, stick, stem and seed was removed and then it was pressed under lots of pressure (no heat) into pellets for swallowing/smuggling..they used to add a mist of alcohol before pressing to make sure the pellets (or "bullets" as they were known as) stayed together then wrapped tight or they would swell later...these were a good smoke and crumbled into ground bud easily with your fingers, each bullet would weigh about 6 or 7 grams and an ounce would be as thick and as long as your index finger but old "bullets" that had dried out definitely were not as strong..so i would be hesitant to grind up bud or resin with lots of plant material in it, press it then store it for months, I'd be worried it might dry out and degrade if not stored perfectly.

Last edited:

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Bulénath said:
Anyone else notice that pressed ganja burns smoother and doesn't dirty the bong & downstem/diffuser as fast?

Over the years, I've noticed that it can turn it into almost a totally different weed. Its an across the board change, usually bringing out the hashy side.

It seems almost a prerequisite to mimic the older goldish/brownish baled strains too. Currently playing a bit with smash & cure methods for that reason.

:2cents:

love?

I noticed some of you have had trouble buying these. Just got one myself so at least here in Europe shops seem well stocked again.

Now all i need is some kief. ;)

Thanks a lot for sharing your find with us Pipedream!

rasputen

Thanks Pipedream !! This ones for YOU.

Jonathan LivingSTONE HASH DIME

picture.php

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
excellent alternative... I recently saw that "head shops" are selling standard automotive bottle jacks (usually around 20 bucks) for up to 200 bucks (theirs comes with a small cage that can withstand the 6 tonnes of pressure so I guess that bit is worth the 180...lol yah right)..anyways it occured to me that a woodworking vice would work equally as well... 15-25 bucks at your local hardware store...

record-52ed-woodwork-vice-7in-q-rel--dog.jpg

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
Thanks for the idea pipedream, and to all who shared their experiences =)

Latest posts

Latest posts