What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange Slime buildup on roots

G

Richyrich: You post describes my scenario to a tee. I had to scrap the last grow it got so bad. I tried massive amounts of h202, & sm90, but nothing did it. I couldn't get physan 20 round here so i cant comment on that. Bleach works well and lots of scrubbing.

I'm on the second time around with the chiller and a res like "river rapids". Advanced GMB /w fulvic acid. Water is crystal clear so far but i spent some money on a nice external filter. HOpefully everything continues well.

G

go buy yourself some silicon product like dyna-gro protekt. it will take care of the slime no problem. one the rot has set in, its hard to save em, but if you start your grow using protekt, no problems.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
its420eh said:
Richyrich: You post describes my scenario to a tee. I had to scrap the last grow it got so bad. I tried massive amounts of h202, & sm90, but nothing did it. I couldn't get physan 20 round here so i cant comment on that. Bleach works well and lots of scrubbing.

I'm on the second time around with the chiller and a res like "river rapids". Advanced GMB /w fulvic acid. Water is crystal clear so far but i spent some money on a nice external filter. HOpefully everything continues well.

BROWN ALGAE!!!!!!!! It's our problem. I dont think folks here know that it is not root rot. There is not much info here. I just read your whole thread on your issues. Nothing gets rid of it. Right now I my pH is slowly rising every day. No sign of the slime, but I know its around because of the pH. I have always used RO water and my pH always stays rock solid until I changed to flood buckets and to a different resevoir.

Research the brown algae on the net. You will find that it likes organics and dont even need much light if any. Most advice for root rot is not going to cut it. Most info on brown algae is gonna be found along with aquarium talk. I am gonna find the physan 20 and try that. Also, the aquarium talk says to use antibiotics. Its algae, not root rot. Disregard all info for root rot because it is gonna drive you crazy. I have had a chiller always this whole time set at 64-65. Rot dont live in that. It is algae. BROWN ALGAE. Its a mother f**cker.

richyrich

Veteran

Nute resevoir light proofed. RO water container light proofed. Chiller and nutes as seen.

Had adjusted pH 4 hours prior, went from 5.7 to 6.0 in that time. This is happening with RO water. That is not suppose to be happening. Everything else is perfect. Notice one airline from air pump. That is going into the venuri of the 400gph pump sitting at the bottom of my resevoir recirculating. Pump on chiller also recirculating.

Controller light proofed and converted to 5 gallon bucket.

Sour D making a come back.

No rot is gonna live in this environment. F**kin brown algae.

I think I have been growing with this algae the whole time. How is the H2O2 working? I thought algae needed light to live though.? Its the primordial ooze. following this thread now, thanks guys!

payn

richyrich

Veteran
payn4school said:
I think I have been growing with this algae the whole time. How is the H2O2 working? I thought algae needed light to live though.? Its the primordial ooze. following this thread now, thanks guys!

payn

Does not kill the algae. Physan 20 or Triple Action.
5ml per 52 gallons.

There should be a whole thread dedicated to this crap, brown algae. It mimics root rot and hundreds of us probably think it is. Its an algae that almost seems impossible to get rid of. I know root rot is an umbrella meaning for any root disease which is always mostly bacterial.

There needs to be a clear distinctions between this brown algae and general bacterial or fungal caused root rot. This algae can thrive in lots of oxygen and poor or minimal light and likes to eat on organics.
Do a google on it.

H2O2 35%
sm90
root excelurator
hydorguard
sensizyme
hygrozyme
pirahna
sub culture
voodoo juice
zone
water chiller
massive bubbles

did it all and didnt work. For the last year I have been battling what I thought was root rot. Now, when I think about it, it was from not light proofing my 55 gallon blue drum that holds my new filtered RO water. Tainted water every res change. What a bitch.

richyrich

Veteran

This is what grows in less than 24 hours. This was after a bath of 2ml per gallon of 35% H2O2. It looks like a brown loogie. Its thick and slimy. Does not pull apart easily. I would say this fits the meaning of brown slime algae. Notice it looks like jelly or the loog. Its not no settling of nutes. I use advanced nutes, no organics. For some reason it likes to first grow on my probe. The probe dangles about half way in the drum. It does not touch the bottom. I cant wait to order physan. I am gonna go to Petco and buy some algaecide and see what happens.

Just think brown loogie as you look at these.

I just checked out the Physan 20. Read all the instructions, seems that one TEAspoon per gallon is a good dose unless under heavy attack, than 1-2 TABLEspoons per gallon.

I didnt see any info regaurding reducing feeding amount or anything, so I can assume it wont have much affect on that, just dont want to burn or some shit.

Where are you getting yours from AR? Im about to order a gallon off gaybay for 46 bucks shipped. seems reasonable.

this is great info to know!!!@#!@#@!@@!@
payn

richyrich

Veteran
10 hours ago, adjusted ph to 5.7, now its already up to 6.3. This is RO water, TDS is not moving. Chiller at 67. Advanced Nutes and House and Garden Root Excelurator only. If you haven't heard of Root Excelurator, its kinda new to the market and is easily the best new product of the last few years. It is the best for root rot and roots grow unbelievably with this stuff.
It's not working on this algae crap.

richyrich

Veteran
I posted what happened when I added Hygrozyme. This stuff grew 10 fold when it was added. I am wondering what the hell now when i just read this.

HYGROZYME prevents the formation of pythium and algae, speeds up degradation of dead organic matters and facilitates chemical nutrient assimilation. It will create healthy white root growth in your plants. It will not harm beneficial microbes.

chinese-mecican

i think i have the same problem you have but mine is really bad. How should i get rid of it? I run advanced sensi pro 2 plus, voodoo juice, b-52, carbo load, sensizye, sweet leaf, big bud , overdrive, final phase. I just got some hydroguard. Will hydroguard prevent this from happening on my next harvest? I use RO water from the store.

G

look familiar?

Roots from the last round.

End result.

Funny how you both used hydrozyme. That was my first time using the stuff and brown alge is what happened. I'll stick to basics for a while. GMB only. Break down, bleach and scrub everything. If your not running a large system it shouldn't be that bad. Take the plants out and clean them. If you can put then in an alternative container for a few days while everything else gets sterilized. Rubbermaid tubs can hold a lot of plants in a pinch.

LIGHTPROOF EVERYTHING!!!

1 week and counting since i bleached and scrubbed. So far, no signs of the alge.

chinese-mecican

i didnt use hydrozyme. I dont know how i got it. Could it be from my airstones? They are kind of in a dirty area where the air pumps are sitting.

GDB

chinese-mecican said:
i think i have the same problem you have but mine is really bad. How should i get rid of it? I run advanced sensi pro 2 plus, voodoo juice, b-52, carbo load, sensizye, sweet leaf, big bud , overdrive, final phase. I just got some hydroguard. Will hydroguard prevent this from happening on my next harvest? I use RO water from the store.

Where do you buy RO water at the store?
:chin:

richyrich

Veteran
Just got the Physan right now. If you have an Armstrong Garden Center around, $10.

The aquarium stuff didnt seem to do anything. PH still drifting up to quickly with RO water and no drop in TDS. Means, algae still alive.

This should be the last front. Hopefully my black thumb turns back to green.

This Physan 20 is an algaecide, bactericide, virudice and fungidice. All the hydro nasties. I expect nothing to be alive after this dose and treatment except the plants. If this dont work, start believing in curses.

Last edited:
S

stonedeconomist

could it be that you have a yeast infection? with the amount of sugar used as a chelating compound in many of the liquid fertilizers and supplements you may enough sugar in your solution for a fast breeding yeast colony to take over.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
stonedeconomist said:
could it be that you have a yeast infection. with the amount of sugar used as a chelating compuond in many of the liquid fertilizers you may wnough sugar in your solution for a fast breeding yeast colony to take over.

In my case, I do not. I tried carbo load one time and that was a mistake. If you have any nasties unkown in your system, you will set off a bomb when you add that stuff. System better be dialed in before using.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts