What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag Appeal Ruing Weed and What Do You Think of Matt Riot...

green404

HOWEVER, there are things that are worth it to people if they really, really want them.

Needful Things Stephen King- that metal chamber pipe ? 2ft plastic bong ? Jimi Hendrix poster ? lol

Most people i have dealt with that are always marketing hype at the very top of the price range are just low grade scammers full of lies. Takes lots of lies and hype to keep things inflated to the top.

As far as bag appeal I feel like it really set in in the 90s weed prices were high and people wanted "nugs" that would not turn into shake after on trip in your pocket.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
The problem is these kids have never smoked killer weed. How can they know if they haven't smoked a stupid trippy sativa? I think sativa is alive and well and will be highly sought after in the future when all you can get are cookies/OG beasters.

707OGBUSH970

As far as IG ruining weed with bag appeal - dude it's IG, a place for sharing photos, it's not gonna be some deep discussion, it's gonna be superficial pageantry.

Yeah I get that, but for everyone its not superficial pageantry. Go look at posts on Phylos bioscience and you will see real, impassioned discussion about the future of cannabis by some of the top breeders. For mainstream appeal which means survival in this market, you almost always--not always-- need an IG account. Im just saying that I only see people growing the typical hyped crosses. I think we would all benefit if people saw the variety that is in the cannabis gene pool. Unfortunately Instagram showcases what is commercially viable, and its like 1 percent of the cannabis gene pool. Im sorry but I see this as a problem. And by kids I mean younger people who grow and have some weed knowledge, not necessarily completely uninformed consumers. It sad. I think that, once the generation who had the real sativas is gone, there is not going to be much demand to keep those strains alive. Anyway, this has all been said before. Im almost wasting my breath here, but i would hope that in 20 years, If I needed to buy seeds again, its not all cookies hybrids and whatever else.

707OGBUSH970

Needful Things Stephen King- that metal chamber pipe ? 2ft plastic bong ? Jimi Hendrix poster ? lol

This is actually funny. However, if you think that people aren't paying astronomical amounts for cuts and seeds, and turning around and making them commercially viable, you are crazy. I recall a single cut of Starfighter going for 10 gs and even when I was in Humboldt in the
Early 2000s, people would come up and routinely pay thousands of dollars for OG cuts that I paid 2 bucks a piece for if I needed them. These people would be like ecstatic they could get the cut. They would turn around, go back down south and make bank.
500 bucks is a drop in the bucket, IF ACTUALLY WORTH IT. Im just trying to determine if it might be worth it, and the answer this time actually seems to be no, but not because 500 bucks is always too much.

PDX Dopesmoker

Veblen goods are types of luxury goods for which the quantity demanded increases as the price increases, an apparent contradiction of the law of demand. Consumers actually prefer more of the good as its price rises, and the result is an upward sloping demand curve. For example, in the 1990s when "fashion" jeans became popular, one retailer found that he could sell more when he raised the price. Also functioning as positional goods, they include expensive wines, jewelry, fashion-designer handbags, and luxury cars which are in demand because of, rather than in spite of, the high prices asked for them. This makes them desirable as status symbols in the practices of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure.

Veblen goods are named after American economist Thorstein Veblen, who first identified conspicuous consumption as a mode of status-seeking in The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899). A corollary of the Veblen effect (where goods are desired for being over-priced) is that a decrease of their price decreases their demand

Rationale
Consumers prefer to buy more expensive items because they think that goods with a higher price tag are more exclusive and thus indicate status.

My homegrown pollenchucker seeds are priceless, nobody has ever even tried to offer me money for them. Is that because in their presence even the most sophisticated and experienced marijuana enthusiasts are so awed and intimidated that they realize their own unworthiness? Thats my current operating theory. The chumps growing those $500 cheapo seeds are pretty much just glorified lawn care workers compared to me.

burningfire

Veteran
I don't know about Riot seeds but that's a really steep asking price.. I can't even justify buying a Sensi or DP pack at this point and they are usually half that price.. although if I knew their blues were good I'd probably get it.. if there's demand and you can re-coup the cost, it really doesn't matter how much they cost.

About the bag appeal.. I had to see it for myself

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN-6B8JDtHA/?taken-by=oldworldgenetics

I think this is the post.. it pisses me off, I hate the weed culture, there's so many people like that. It's as if they are still 14 years old talking about weed like it's status symbol or something. I try to stay away from that side of the industry but when something like that pops up It pisses me off.. I'd love to smoke that ganja, no doubt that those commenting negatively on it would probably have to be sedated after a few drags.

what do you expect anyway, people have been smoking hash plants as ganja for more than 25 years.. there's no joint weed out there anymore.

707OGBUSH970

what do you expect anyway, people have been smoking hash plants as ganja for more than 25 years.. there's no joint weed out there anymore.

This is my point exactly, when it comes down to it. There are many of us who have a more nuanced understanding of what actually makes weed worth consuming, and I wish Instagram more reflected that. Imagine if Jungle Boys did a spindly 14 weeker and all the little fanboys talked shit, which they would do...until they actually took a hit. Not one big commercial garden that I can see doing anything over 9-10 weeks max it seems. There is something wrong with that.

707OGBUSH970

My homegrown pollenchucker seeds are priceless, nobody has ever even tried to offer me money for them. Is that because in their presence even the most sophisticated and experienced marijuana enthusiasts are so awed and intimidated that they realize their own unworthiness? Thats my current operating theory. The chumps growing those $500 cheapo seeds are pretty much just glorified lawn care workers compared to me.

Im aware of this concept, but thats more applies to companies like Aficionado, who market at that boutique price. The seeds I speak of arent even advertised anywhere but the small classifieds on Strainly. The point was to see if they might actually be what they say they are, so that I could incorporate them into my own pollen chucking program.

I have some fester skunk and some other potential RKS pheno varieties. If this is what he says it is it could be invaluable in creating a larger pool form which to select. Im guessing they are not though. My goal is only good weed.

Somatek

I see what you mean Somatek, but I still don’t see why legalisation should create more informed customers? The dispensaries are gonna sell the same old OG x’s but with new fancy names. Shure maybe a few more people will be introduced to some delicious foxtaily bud, but it’s still gonna be a small group of people who’s gonna know about, and appreciate the old school “sativas” IMO.

The majority of places will have nothing but OG variations, but eventually there will be more diversity as more companies like paradise seeds or greenhouse partner up with LP's. I think the real change will come when the craft market takes off as having unique offerings makes or breaks them, just like craft breweries. At this point most people don't have access to a wide selection, it's changing with MoM's and dispensaries but a lot still just buy whatever their dealer has that week. When people can start choosing and comparing different buds I expect peoples taste and expectations will mature as they realise how limited the OG stone is. I doubt it'll ever be a large market, I personally expect most production to move over seas and outdoors to feed the concentrate market. I could easily be wrong though, at this point there's too many variables to say where the industry will eventually land.

Somatek

Dude, Riot has been around for years. He’s one of the more infamous names in the cannabis breeding world.

Riot as a person, has more enemies than just about anyone. That enough should say something about who he is and how he does business. At some point, you gotta realize the common denominator is Riot. There’s a ton of drama in the cannabis game, it’s almost impossible to be in it for any length of time without getting caught up in it. But Riot is the shirt stirring king of that drama.

As for his beans, I’ve literally never seen a positive review of his stuff from someone that has grown it. I’ve seen plenty of bad reviews and a few “meh” reviews. I’ve also seen a few people claim to have found a bunch of males in his fem seeds. I wouldn’t grow his stuff if I got the seeds for free.

Thanks for the info, when did he start his company? I can't remember hearing about them back in '10, anything since then I consider to be a new company and tend to be leary of them. You're comments about him ripping off other growers/breeders reinforces my assumption that he's probably not worth looking at. I'm too old to care about drama, especially when there's lot of drama free companies that don't charge $500 for a pack of seeds.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Bag appeal:

picture.php

Sam's Thunk.

lol

zif

Veteran
I personally love bag appeal on my screen, while in the bag I see with my nose. It’s confusing. :tiphat:

burningfire

Veteran
I was just reminded of a story I heard watching a pizza show, I don't think it was on munchies but it was a piece on a rather famous traditional pizza chef in america who's been in the munchies pizza show.

He's been making that traditional Napolitan style pizza for years and is producing some great looking pies. He told a story about how someone brought back one of his pizzas because it didn't look good.. the chef said that this was how they did it in Napoli, the customer said it wasn't.. turns out there was a pizza place called napoli at some mall and that's what the customer was expecting.. not to bash the american fast food pizzas too much but they lack what makes pizzas good in my opinion and make up for it by piling on more cheese and grease.

personally I've experienced something similar while on vacation with a friend, there was a store front with pictures of gorgeous looking wood fired pizzas and commented to my friend that they looked great.. he dismissed my statement.. but then again, he's the type of guy to eat pizza hut and never eats the crust.... he has a very juvenile relationship with food. He's been to many different countries, many exotic locations and he always eats at places like Subway or Mcdonalds.

green404

This is actually funny. However, if you think that people aren't paying astronomical amounts for cuts and seeds, and turning around and making them commercially viable, you are crazy. I recall a single cut of Starfighter going for 10 gs and even when I was in Humboldt in the
Early 2000s, people would come up and routinely pay thousands of dollars for OG cuts that I paid 2 bucks a piece for if I needed them. These people would be like ecstatic they could get the cut. They would turn around, go back down south and make bank.
500 bucks is a drop in the bucket, IF ACTUALLY WORTH IT. Im just trying to determine if it might be worth it, and the answer this time actually seems to be no, but not because 500 bucks is always too much.

In the illegal market of cannabis clones were horded and rare = high prices. The dark days of hording genetics is coming to an end.

Here in Denver I can get all the lasted greatest clones for $5-$20. hundreds of verities. Once strains become popular growers start selling clones and other growers sell their extra clones. So many strains to choose from.. It's hard to horde and charge high prices when your product is surrounded by comparable stuff for a fraction of the price.

Value by controlled rarity in general doesn't work in a legal market. You would need a monopoly share of the market(like De Beers and diamonds)
Many of these sleazy genetic marketers are trying to cash in on black market tactics in a changing grey market. Is it actually worth it ? No you get screwed.

If you want to chase long gone strains that have been played out I am sure some sleazeball will mislabel a current one and charge you 10xs the amount.

pinkus

Veteran
Matt Riot

He might not be popular, but he is talked about a lot.

The "bag appeal" is a tough nut to crack. We are mostly visual creatures, and as of yet we can't transmit smell, texture, or high through the interwebs.

Here is part of the problem. I just finished growing some Acapulco gold, and have another still going. The first plant yielded about 4 ounces of bud. It was almost all bud, but they were very fluffy and old pre Afghan invasion resin glands were very tiny. I am finishing up converting to oil now. I am NOT a great oil maker, but the yield after cleaning it up was FOUR GRAMS. Great effect, pathetic yield.

X

xavier7995

I think that is a pretty steep price, i would be reluctant to pay that much without a plethora of positive reviews of the seeds. That said i kinda like matt riot and while he sure gets in a bunch of drama, there is a whole lotta bs out there to call people out on if that is your bag. Seems a reasonable enough guy and i like that diy ethos, but i dont think i would be willing to run his gear above 150-200 a pack. If the market will pay that though, more power to him.

ahortator

Veteran
Matt Riot

He might not be popular, but he is talked about a lot.

The "bag appeal" is a tough nut to crack. We are mostly visual creatures, and as of yet we can't transmit smell, texture, or high through the interwebs.

Here is part of the problem. I just finished growing some Acapulco gold, and have another still going. The first plant yielded about 4 ounces of bud. It was almost all bud, but they were very fluffy and old pre Afghan invasion resin glands were very tiny. I am finishing up converting to oil now. I am NOT a great oil maker, but the yield after cleaning it up was FOUR GRAMS. Great effect, pathetic yield.

I have seen many Mexican youngsters showing pics of those new Kush Afghan hybrid strains they have now there. They seem very excited about the thick buds. Sometimes someone shows some shwag buds which looks more legit.

I have smoked thick sugar like covered stinky buds, and the psychoactivity is far inferior compared to those ugly sparse sativa buds.

I cannot understand why smokers don't realize about that fact. Perhaps because there are not many real pure untamed sativa strains left nowadays.

ganja.jpg

Indonesian landrace

KlQSTTf.png

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Just my .02 on my friend Matthew Riot is his work is phenomenal I have a Blue Cookieberry Crunch S-1 I will keep forever because it has all you could want in a strain as I perceive the flavor, yield, resin production and smoke effects to be absolutely incredible to each their own when it comes to perception of Riot. But imo if you don't get a pack I will get a few and run it on my riot seeds pack because after hearing how offensively skunk it is I personally want it. The stuff my friend had to go through to create that line definitely deserves recognition regardless of the myths that dude does work line very well and does NOT pollen chuck.. best of luck man