What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water temps too hot in aeroponic cloner

mtbazz

Took some fresh cuttings yesterday, turned my cloner on that has a heater in it and walked away.

Checked it this morning and the water was literally steaming and scalding. I forgot to put the thermostat in the water at the bottom of cloner so the heating element was cranked all the up.

Clones still look healthy, stems are a little on the soft side though..

Will these end up rooting ya think ?

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I've seen em root after getting pretty hot, but steaming? I dunno, doubt it.

My pump actually creates enough heat that I never needed a heater, but I do have to drop a 2 Liter pop jug of ice in on hot summer days to help keep temps down.

I hate to say it but if it was that hot then I seriously doubt they will root. Usually if they get much over about 90*F they won't take. 80* is about perfect in my areo's.

SB.J

once you see any root "bumps" do you hit it with some type of root excell + hygrozyme? or one of the 2? or keep just ph water at 5.8 until transplant?

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Nope. I pop the cuts in and 5 days later I change the water and all the cuts that have an inch or more are plucked and put in 24 oz cups. Everything else stays until the next water change.

I kept wanting to add nutes or some kind of root accelerator, but what I found was that it was always too soon for some of the cuttings. So the only way I could do it was to transfer the plants that show root nubs to another tub. Well now we're talking about growing full fledged Aeroponics, not cloning.
So why mess around with the cloner to start with? Why not just set up an aeroponics grow and root the clones in it?

Well I make hundreds of clones and trade 99% of the clones I start so I stick with what works 99% of the time.

And to be 100% honest: I use Chrystal Geyser natural spring water in my cloners and it Ph's at 7............ That's what my clones get with a splash of H2O2 for 5 days, then a water change. I filled a mini 19 hole cloner the day before yesterday and 5 show "obvious" roots (not just nubs) and 2 have 1/2" or better tonight.

Fuck all that crap about Ph'ing, misting, domes, accelerators and shit with cloning, it's unnecessary. Cloning is the easiest and shortest part of the entire growing process. Keep It Simple Stoners, right? So why complicate something so simple that works 99% of the time?

Low, indirect light and air temps @ about 70* F and water around 80* F is the key to aero-cloners.

People just make cloning more complicated than it needs to be.

mtbazz

Fuck all that crap about Ph'ing, misting, domes, accelerators and shit with cloning, it's unnecessary. Cloning is the easiest and shortest part of the entire growing process. Keep It Simple Stoners, right? So why complicate something so simple that works 99% of the time?

Low, indirect light and air temps @ about 70* F and water around 80* F is the key to aero-cloners.

People just make cloning more complicated than it needs to be.

Thats not what I found. I had lousy at pH values above 6.5. Once I dropped the pH down to 5.3 everything was rooting in 7 days.

aligee

Veteran
Aerocloner + R/O water ,pump 24/7
6cf26339.jpg

roots in 10 days!!!
2fbf3e4c.jpg

Everything I learned about cloning was from PermaClone and they say the goal is WARM water but the point of diminishing returns in 87 F. I shoot for 85 and get amazing results with their sterile technique.

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/the-3-reasons-clones-fail

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/sterilizable-collars-permaclone-has-your-answers

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/hydoponics-water-quality-and-water-treatment-a-must-read

This last article is best towards the end when they talk about water treatment.

Granger2

Veteran
If something has root bumps, I go ahead and plant in medium. Works every time. Good luck. -granger

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Everything I learned about cloning was from PermaClone and they say the goal is WARM water but the point of diminishing returns in 87 F. I shoot for 85 and get amazing results with their sterile technique.

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/the-3-reasons-clones-fail

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/sterilizable-collars-permaclone-has-your-answers

https://www.permaclone.com/blogs/news/hydoponics-water-quality-and-water-treatment-a-must-read

This last article is best towards the end when they talk about water treatment.

Good links, going to get the old turbo cloner off the shelf and see if I can get it pushing out cuts again. Rockwool is giving me great results, but is a bit more work.

Unk_OG

My first attempt

My first attempt

My first attempt at cloning with a borrowed clone king 36. I bought the clonex cloning kit with the chemicals/the dip/the tray etc. The cloner sits in my veg tent on the floor under a 400 W light. The temp of the water in the cloner is always right around 79 to 80°. Followed the directions on the bottle and 10 days later I got this. I didn't pull the top off of the cloner because I just wanted to leave it be and not disturb it. Should've checked a little sooner, LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_7713.jpg
    IMG_7713.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 34

belivitez

How to transplant from aeroponic to soil? I have big problems here.... I have nice big white root system, but when i transplant them into soil i have problems :( plants die, turn yellow, brown... Only one strain survive :)

How to transplant from aeroponic to soil? I have big problems here.... I have nice big white root system, but when i transplant them into soil i have problems :( plants die, turn yellow, brown... Only one strain survive :)
I never had any problems like that...You may want to go from the cloner to cups with a sterile low nutrient medium before you put them in a soil with lots of nutrients.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It sounds like his suggestion is an intermediate transplant. Instead of going from rooting clone to high nutrient soil, put them in a low nutrient starter mix type of soil, then once they are rooting in that, move them to the hot soil mix.

belivitez

It sounds like his suggestion is an intermediate transplant. Instead of going from rooting clone to high nutrient soil, put them in a low nutrient starter mix type of soil, then once they are rooting in that, move them to the hot soil mix.

I start them in soil for seedlings.... I must to try add some extra perlite...?

Mirage34

So RO water is fine ? It has a more balanced PH but less mineral content then our tap ? The reason I don't want to use our tap is because it was 7.7 and we used PH down but still had limited success ... I think another issue was not leaving the pump on ? It was on a multi timer and was off more than it was on ? I have read ez closers are able to run 24-7 ? EIther way looking for an answer on RO ? Yea or may. Thx

RB56

Veteran
Don't let the roots get too long in the cloner, or prune them prior to transplanting. 1/2"-1" is more than enough. Long roots are easy to damage. Don't pack the medium too tightly around the roots.

Latest posts

Latest posts