Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Decarboxylation - Data & Graphs

Thread Title Search
Decarboxylation - Data & Graphs Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2018, 03:08 PM #21
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
I have a quick and easy way to prepare and decarb cannabutter (or cannacoconut oil) which I consider foolproof. I just use fresh leaf/trim straight from the plant but it will work with dried as well.

1. Put your trim in a pot with a just enough water and sufficient butter for the amount of raw material. I you are using wet material you can pack it in because it will shrink considerably as it heats.

2. Bring it up to a good simmer just below the boil and hold this for about half an hour, regularly turning the material from the bottom up to the top. This exposes all the plant matter to the oil which will be predominantly at the top of the liquid.

3. Drain the contents through a fine metal strainer into another pot. boil the jug and pour this through the cooked material collected in the strainer while teasing it apart to remove any remaining oil. You can then wrap this material in a thin cloth and squeeze it out further.

4. Put the pot with the oil and water in the fridge until the butter is solid. Cut the butter off the surface, rinse the pieces in clean cold water to get the scum off the underside and then put them on paper towel and pat them dry.

5. Return the butter to a small pot or saucepan and heat gently until melted. Up the heat and monitor with a meat thermometer. keep stirring the oil because any remaining water will want to splatter, but it will dissipate quickly if you keep it moving.

6. Whilst constantly stirring, heat the oil to about 115-120 deg C (240-250 F) then let it cool to 105 C (220 F). What you will notice is that lots of fine CO2 bubbles will be released from the oil initially but these will slow down and stop within about 10 to 15 minutes. when the bubbles have stopped, take it off the heat and let it cool until you can return it to the fridge. When solid your butter is ready to use as you see fit. If storing, wrap it in plastic wrap to prevent oxidation.

Cheers .
Natural high is offline Quote

Old 06-17-2018, 01:53 PM #22
Siever

Siever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to allSiever is a name known to all
bump
Siever is offline Quote

Old 08-27-2018, 03:54 AM #23
White Beard

White Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud of
The thing that really sticks out for me is that first table: 87% decarb accomplished in the first 30 minutes.

Sounds to me like you’d only want to go 20 min. to leave enough THCA for medicinal effect. From that point, it seems you could create a blend that ran the gamut of possible ratios.

Cooking it another 3.5 hours for that last 13% seems...a iot?
White Beard is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:41 AM #24
MintyMick

Location: On an organic spaceship hurtling through the ether. Or somewhere in the Rocky Mountains...
MintyMick has a spectacular aura aboutMintyMick has a spectacular aura aboutMintyMick has a spectacular aura aboutMintyMick has a spectacular aura about
I decarb dry herb at 245° for fifty - sixty minutes. I the. Use it for butter, tinctures, etc.
MintyMick is online now Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM #25
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Here is an interesting read ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549281/

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM #26
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
the results match my experiences...i currently do a short decarb at higher temps and find i get much better results regarding the strengths of capsules i make. a low temp/long time decarb reduces the effectiveness of the caps by taking longer to work once digested, not getting as strong effect and shorter duration of effect...

thanks for posting RD...

"Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy."
Paracelsus
ozzieAI is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 AM #27
Sertaiz

Sertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the roughSertaiz is a jewel in the rough
coco oil

natural high, thats how i do it, with water. sometimes turn the stove off after half hour, and then after a couple hours or whenever its not hot to the touch turn it on for another ten minutes or so and then pau.

strain the material and i always have some extra oil on hand to pass through the herbs so i get more of the stuck oils. or just pass hot water through it or make brownies with the leftovers.
i try not to waste, someone would always gladly choke down a chewy leafy cookie with their creamy drink of choice.
can take the oily strained material and make a helluva pot of hot chocolate or anything creamy liquid that can be a little oily and hot. chefs treat.

now i am going to try cooking it down a little after to decarb it, never took it that far, sometimes i double batch it though, run the same coco oil through two batches of material.

my friends have a method they call "magic shell" like the trademark pour over ice cream toppings. they get the oil warm and pour it over the icecream and it hardens..... mmmmmmm........... ÷^)
Sertaiz is offline Quote

Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 AM #28
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
That is interesting, thanks. I haven't seen numbers for decarbing CBDA stated in a referee'd publication before. They did CBGA too.
PDX Dopesmoker is online now Quote