What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HONEY SLIDES...quick and easy!

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
right fuckin on! Neil Young!

i read his bio Shakey, and came across this myself. which i wanted to know more about so googled it and found this. i assume its the same article your talking about. still havent tried it but i think i might have to now that you reminded me. still in the favourites...

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/rns/honeyslides.htm

In the Neil Young biography 'Shakey', there is a reference to a mysterious concoction known as a 'honey slide' that was heavily consumed during the 'On The Beach' sessions:

"The high was debilitating. 'People passed out,' said Elliot Roberts. 'This stuff was, like, way worse than heroin. Much heavier. Rusty [Kershaw] would pour it down your throat and within ten minutes you were catatonic."
Here's Neil's notorious recipe for "Honey Slides" as he described it at a concert at the Bottom Line Club in New York City, NY, May 16, 1974 while introducing the song "Motion Pictures".

Neil: "Anyway, we're in this hotel room (harmonica), we're trying some honey-slides, you know....You know what a honey-slide is? (voice from audience: Yes!) Honey-slide, mmmmmmn!

You know, poor grade marijuana (he's playing soft guitar all through this... Motion Pictures intro), worse than you get on the street, and you take it and you get your old lady, you know, if you got one, to cook it up on the stove, you know, put that stuff in the grinder, get it real fine, in a frying pan, put it on the stove, turn the heat up a little, wait till the grass just starts to smoke, just a little bit, take it off the heat, don't want to burn it too much (laughter and a few guitar bars), then you take the honey, you know, get a half a glass of honey about this big - I hope you ladies are listening to the recipies tonight - (audience laughter and a few words missing) just heat that honey up until it's slippery, you know, and mix that grass with it, you know the fine grass that you've cooked up just until it started to smoke and you took it off, mix those together and you get a spoon you know (voices from the audience and laughter).

I think you should eat it after that. Just eat a little of it, you know, maybe a spoonful or two, you'll be surprised, it just makes you feel fine... (laughter) That cheap grass is great. You know, in these times, you have to think about prices and things like that (laughter).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it, straight from the Neiler's mouth. Although, before I ever heard the tape, we would just take some honey, heat it in a small frying pan, lay buds in it (turning them over to get them well soaked with the honey while it heated) Heat it pretty hot (but not "popping") for 5 - 10 minutes. Put it in the freezer to cool it off, and voila, that's what we called honey-slides. You can use the stem of the bud as a handle... Eat them just like candy. (not too much now!) OK, school is out. Have a blast boys and girls.

It's all in your mind,

-julio

Last edited:
R

Reinhold

haha i made some earlier but my stove is really hot even on low, so it basicaly melted the shit out of it real quick like within seconds so i had to take it off because it was sizziling so bad and i drank it and nothing happened but of course probably just cause i did it wrong im going to try and make it again later.

I had a question though, say could I make a fairly large batch and then just eat it peaces whenever? How should I store it? In the fridge?

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
i just made a batch with about a gram of white rhino and a tblspoon of butter simmered for a few min on low then let it cool then simmered again for another 2 min strained the plant material out, then i added some honey and let it cool a bit. then toasted myself a bagel and pour the honey butter mix on the bagel. let it soak into the bagel a bit then covered it in cream cheese... honestly one of the best bagels ive ever had.... ill let you guys know how it turns out.

endo

Endo

Veteran
still awake, doing ok so far, light buzz... but i smoked a morning bowl too... ill know in about an hour or so how well it works.

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
Ah....using the happy honey on a bagel. :D :yes: Sounds good.
May it get you more toasted than the bagel!
cc

Endo

Veteran
well its about 6 oclock now and im just coming down.. it wasnt overwelming but i suspect thats because i strained the mixture b4 i ate it and also it probably could have cooked a little longer but it was a nice uplifting high to my day... definitly something to keep in the recipe books.

Endo

G

awesome thread!!!

I was just stressing earlier about getting my wisdom teeth pulled, as your not allowed to smoke anything for at least 4 days. This seems like the perfect recipe for myself! I will def report back with my experience in a few weeks

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Hey CC, can you describe the point of infusion with any more detail? I have made this 5 times now, I love how easy and quick it is, and I can mix several strains to get new stones. But it is never quite full buzz so far, relative to my cookies.

I do as your directions indicate, in a small slow cooker. I melt the butter, when it starts to bubble at the edge, I add the finely ground herbs and stir and cover and then check every couple minutes. But I am a failure at recognizing the smell. I smell the herb, but nothing different than making butter at first. Am I over cooking, or undercooking? I don't let it burn, I know that smell, hehe. Thanks for this recipe it is a keeper, just needs tuning up here.
H

PassionForMaryJ

Very nice recipe cooked cook!!!
I may try some soon, couldn't I just use the canna butter that I took 5 hours to make, mix it with some honey & maybe a tad bit of cinnamon & sugar, let that almost caramelize, place on confectioners paper I think it is, and let it cool...

I am thinking the more potent the butter is the more potent the honey slide will be, I have made some butter where if you ate one brownie made from it you would be gone for a few hours...

I hear butter made in a slow cooker is best, since I heat kills THC, that is why most use low heat for so long to make the butter...

Thanks again for the nice recipe!!!

cooked cook

PassionForMaryJ said:
Very nice recipe cooked cook!!!
I may try some soon, couldn't I just use the canna butter that I took 5 hours to make, mix it with some honey & maybe a tad bit of cinnamon & sugar, let that almost caramelize, place on confectioners paper I think it is, and let it cool...

I am thinking the more potent the butter is the more potent the honey slide will be, I have made some butter where if you ate one brownie made from it you would be gone for a few hours...

I hear butter made in a slow cooker is best, since I heat kills THC, that is why most use low heat for so long to make the butter...

Thanks again for the nice recipe!!!

PFMJ! :wave: Good to see you :yes: I'm always happy to see an old OGer from back in the day!
I like your thinking there, using some good, strong cannabutter.
I know when I make it(at least using my old way...might have to try yours), it comes out fairly liquid. Just keep that in mind for turning it out on paper, although the additional sugar may help. Spray the paper with some no-stick spray (or rub with butter) just to be safe :wink:

Happy cooking!

cc

BrainBoy

Just made a honey slide tonight and I'd thought I'd bump this to say thanks for a great recipe! Took about 35 minutes to kick in, I'm goin real good now. :) :)

J-Roc

hi cook :wave:
im a cook by profession aswell..
pays the bills more than anything
i also enjoy some cooking shows like top chef
thanks dude for the thread
:smoweed:
(andeatit)

cooked cook

right on, J-Roc. I hope you, T. Knuckles, and Detroit Velvet Smoothe get nicely toasted off this one. This is a quick, easy way to eat some MJ that works real well for me.
Ahhh, fall is coming, and there's nothing I like better than chillin in the forest, with a full-on body buzz. Maybe I'll have to post up an MJ hot cocoa recipe for the fall. hmmmm :chin:
Keep smiling a weedy grin, yall :D :yes:
cc

Last edited:

D0nC0smic

I love this recipe, i also wanna add if the taste bothrs you try water curing the weed first, as this gets rid of alot of the plant taste, i hate water curing for smoking since it makes the weed lose most of its taste and smell, but its great for edibles.