What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long can you store cannabutter?

Hello everyone... I have some cannabutter i made from last grow in tthe fridge wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a glad type container. Does anyone know how long you can effectively store this butter before it loses potency or something else?

Thanks! :rasta:

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
not sure on how long it takes butter to expire...but potency will last as long as you have it.. I'd say the next time you're at the grocery store look at the expiration date on the pack of butter...then try and remember when you made your batch of butter..

I'm sure you can figure it out from there

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Freeze it or use it. It will mold within 2 weeks in the fridge.

Mine has been at 38 degrees F for about 9 months and seems to be ok. So it must last a good long time, i just want to make sure its still potent!

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
ive had butter sitting wrapped up in the fridge for like 9 mos now.. i was wondering if it was still good. im going to make a fresh batch anyways and probably just melt them both together. im pretty sure its still good.. no mold or nothing. just havent eaten any cause ive been busy.. guess its time for some brownies.

You will be good as long as you have maintained a safe cooling level! I found that almost after a year that mine was still as good as day 1. Potent as well.

Get cookin'!

Gist

I've had it mold in the regular fridge. Cookies or baked goods last longer without problems in the fridge. I would freeze for long term storage.

Last edited:
C

cannavore

This thread has been helpful and was a reminder to check on some butter in the fridge. It looked good just going on near 3 weeks, but upon closer inspection there were tiny spots starting to mold black color. Overall proportion of these spots is less than 1%, and it smells as it should.

What do you think? Safe to wash or cut off these tiny spots and still make some edibles? I am thinking it should be fine. A little butter goes such a long way, and I sure don't want it to have been a waste. Still trying to put a dent in the first batch of edibles and forgot the stick was in the fridge. fwiw the butter looks to be able to last even longer in the fridge and the tiny mold spots are only near my crummy wrapping with plastic wrap. Tiny patches of moisture could actually be seen at these openings.

What do icmag think? safe or no

Big Foot

freezer it is your best best, when the butter melts it will degrade quicker when its exposed to excess head and oxygen. The butter will quickly become rancid, making it un pleasant to consume.

C

cannavore

I think you are right about the freezer big foot. Next time unless it is to be used within a few days it will go straight into the freezer. In this scenario the butter does not smell rancid, but there are a few tiny black spots of mold. Is my thinking off base I am comparing it to cheese when it gets moldy. Just cut the bad spot off the cheese and the majority is still good.

Just looking for a little re-assurance. Has anyone encountered a little mold on their butter and still used their butter after removing the spoiled spots? Any experience on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Big Foot

It won't mold if you seal it right. A plastic container works fine, and it will last at least 3 months in the crisper of a fridge, I promise you.

Or play it save and freeze it, it doesn't take long to un- thaw, and is guaranteed not to mold. Once the butter is mixed with a weed/water, all the salt is brought going to end up in the water, reducing the shelf life vastly.

C

cannavore

The shelf life of the butter I was thinking would not be as accurate once the simmering has been done, good point big foot and credible.

Are there no opinions about using the butter after removing the toxic bits of mold? I did all this digging bringing back a topic from the grave and all. :laughing:

Once the brownies cool I am going to give them a go anyway. I will return with the results.