What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kevin Jodrey's skunk project

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
There is a significant difference between the smell of a ripe road-kill skunk and fresh skunk spray. Anyone who has had a dog sprayed by a living skunk knows what I mean. In the 1980's I had already marveled at the skunky smell of certain particular strains, and the similarity with ripe road-kill skunk was undeniable. Then my buddy's dog got sprayed by a skunk and we all noted that fresh skunk spray was NOT the smell of that awesome bud we enjoyed. Fresh skunk spray is far more acrid and chemically foul smelling. I would love to smoke some old school skunk bud, but if it smelled like fresh skunk spray I would know that wasn't it.

Same here, Siskiyou. I've said this before in other RKS threads but the roadkill smell we associate with bud is from a dead skunk, not skunk spray. It's a night and day difference. Fresh spray is just a terrible smell. Burnt rubber and sulfur dominate. Roadkill doesn't have nearly as much sulfur in the smell, it almost seems sweeter by comparison. Interesting thing I noticed when my dog got sprayed was that the day or two after it happened the area smelled more like roadkill than the initial spray. Not sure what that means but it was something I noticed.

As for actual RKS bud... I've still never encountered dry flower that actually smells like roadkill skunk. The few times I've actually experienced that smell from bud has only been after smoking it. The smell that lingered in the air was very similar to roadkill. One time the smell was so skunky the chick living on the floor above me came downstairs in a bit of a panic asking me if I could check the basement for a skunk because the hallway reeked. After the initial "wtf?" reaction we figured out she was actually talking about the smell coming from our apartment. :laughing:

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
My exodus cheese cut... uk cut... clone only...

90s skunk#1

BixTgiu.jpg

CGtXSfg.jpg

My favourite... bluez/liverz cut 90s skunk#1

kbaMrIr.jpg

ljdmWdX.jpg

Dog Star

Veteran
And am sprouted some of personal crosses and get plant that is very close to
old Skunk if we talk smells.. its very intensive but i am not sure how this will
show later after cure..

Orange Diesel V3 cut x Oroblanco

picture.php

Was think they will be fruity as both strains goes toward this sides... ODV3 have orange and diesel intermixed..
while Oroblanco have grapefruit smells.. and from these comes hard Skunk odour in progeny..

need to check those cross again.. its weird..

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Those old skunks have the terp profile Sam worked so hard to remove. Luckily he never got to fuck these ones up and these never went to Holland.
Skunk spray, acrid chemical ammonia, burnt rubber in some
Skunk spray plus garlic pickle onion in others
ZERO SWEETNESS

you will physically recoil from these buds for the first few weeks til u get used to it

Are you OhSo?

JimmyToucan

There is a significant difference between the smell of a ripe road-kill skunk and fresh skunk spray. Anyone who has had a dog sprayed by a living skunk knows what I mean. In the 1980's I had already marveled at the skunky smell of certain particular strains, and the similarity with ripe road-kill skunk was undeniable. Then my buddy's dog got sprayed by a skunk and we all noted that fresh skunk spray was NOT the smell of that awesome bud we enjoyed. Fresh skunk spray is far more acrid and chemically foul smelling. I would love to smoke some old school skunk bud, but if it smelled like fresh skunk spray I would know that wasn't it.

FWIW DJ Short also claimed the dead animal skunk profile came from the Afghani side. While possibly related in composition there's definitely a big difference between the skunk spray and the roadkill. The spray being milder with sweet notes to it, similar to well rotted manure compost and the roadkill more pungent and forward along with the rotting flesh notes. I ran a catpiss type similar to the former only it had a ting of ammonia that would make your eyes water. If not pure, the strongest I've had were BLD dominant at the least. It may be more appropriate to say that the SSSC Sk#1 had skunk in it, and sweet vs skunk depended on how it was worked.

Another thing to consider is that all of us in this thread could run the same exact cut and get different expressions. The Appalachia area Skunk has been grown in there for a long ass time; the cut alone won't reproduce those same results regardless of where or how it's grown.

Wendull C.

Veteran
As for actual RKS bud... I've still never encountered dry flower that actually smells like roadkill skunk. [z/QUOTE]

We used to get packs from right near the Benbow inn. Just south of Garbageville. It was called super skunk. Not like a rascal super skunk or any other Holland sweet strain. But real skunk dead on the road. It always came with black widow. All indoor.

It was stressed to me that this was an heirloom strain found by his father or uncle and they would not trade it. This was when og clones brought lots of cash. They wouldn't trade it for og even though they wanted the sfv bad.

Since the guy moved to Hawaii, I have never had it again.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I also have never encountered actual rks bud. The closest was matanusks tundra. From the other room it smelled just like a dead skunk. But not so much in the bag or bud. Same thing with a few of my og crosses. But not as strong. And I recently got in my car with that had a bag of headbanger. Smelled like dead skunk when I opened the door.

Did actual rks bud smell like skunk or just stink up the area it was in like one?

ctg

Veteran
It smelled like a skunk for sure, tasted awesome and the smallest of hits would blow your lungs up. Cough your ass off and completely wreck you.

Ktaadn

I had some Iranian S.S. that had fresh skunk spray terps. It wasn't very pleasant and like you said, far different from the actual RKS that everyone's searching for. I do remember the real deal. It was around at least until the late 90's in the northeast.

Best of luck in the hunt Kev! I've enjoyed watching some of your videos and you offer a unique perspective on things.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had a little ford Ranger pick up truck in the early 90's while I was living in North Georgia. I remember working down off peachtree in Norcross and bought a 1/4 from a local redneck at work and left it in the little Ranger all day. It was sunny but not hot all day and after work went to ride home and the trucked reeked so bad I couldn't stand sitting in it even with the windows down. I drove home so paranoid.
But I really enjoy watching Kevins videos and wish him well in his skunk quest.
However well I remember the RKS in GA. 85 - 2000 that I experienced, it was the smell that stood out and not the effect. It didn't seem to be a "strain" as I got it in several types and colors (all seemed to be indica to me). But the effect to me in most cases was strong, potent like the smell but it was a bland downer that lasted too long and left me feeling like a pile of shit. Even if it's found I'll never grow or consume it, I don't miss it at all.

red rider

Raho

Veteran
However well I remember the RKS in GA. 85 - 2000 that I experienced, it was the smell that stood out and not the effect. It didn't seem to be a "strain" as I got it in several types and colors (all seemed to be indica to me). But the effect to me in most cases was strong, potent like the smell but it was a bland downer that lasted too long and left me feeling like a pile of shit. Even if it's found I'll never grow or consume it, I don't miss it at all.

red rider

Hah Hah :) Right on!

No substitute for being there, right Red?

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
RKS

RKS

Hah Hah :) Right on!

No substitute for being there, right Red?

Yeah I guess like everybody else that had it remembers cause it was so loud, so strong, nothing else was like it before or since. Like I say though I don't remember the high being that great at all in fact some would straight out put me to sleep when mixed jagermeister. I liked it myself but some folks didn't and it was impossible to hide even after it was gone. I remember once getting a half of it in the late 80s that was seeded with huge BB sized seeds and it was sticky. Now I have smelled the "skunk" smell in many cannabis but it's never as strong (overwhelming) as the RKS was. I can remember cars driving by and smelling the skunk as they passed.

attachment.php

Here's a PDC x PCK that a Colombian grower did earlier this year. It's incredible that this young guy can grow bud this dense here without a speck of mould or anything else for that matter. And this is grown outdoor a few hours outside Bogota. Anyway it has the "skunk" smell to me and it's strong but again not even on the same level of the RKS. Oh and this flower is super good, no sleepy downer.

red rider

Attachments

• DSC06192 (2).JPG
    DSC06192 (2).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 19

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have a lot of bud to choose from. I would love to try what's in that pic. Reminds me of pre 2000. Just has that old school knock u on your ass look to it...

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
While I wish him luck, every single one of these rks searches/hunting ends up in a bust. IT all goes like this person says I’m going to bring back the rks, I’ve got old beans, everyone watches and all that comes of it is person searching gets attention. For me it’s gotten to the point when ever I see a rks thread, I don’t click(oxymoronic that I’m saying that in a rks thread lol) because it all ends the same.

I’m probably going way out on a limb here but did rks ever truly exist? Or is it a marketing scheme to keep people interested. When Sam talks about breeding the skunk out of the skunk I have a short circuit in my brain. It makes zero sense....too stinky, pre filter era yadda yadda. It takes the very thing for which it was named and removed it. It’s like removing the shell from a taco and still calling it a taco

G `day TH

Dunno if I watched a different vid , but the one I watched he was working mid / late 80s Skunks not RKS .

I think Sam was looking for a more up high . The sweet skunk terps delivered it .He said RKS was stoney . Probably improved structure and calyx to leaf ratio in the sweet skunk era as well.
10s of 1000 s of plants to select from .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Im not searching for roadkill because i am very satisfied with the consistency of my skunk to express roadkill. I am working towards preserving the stable true breeding form i have in the most outstanding representation of the strain possible. By the time he has a seed that expresses a pheno of roadkill skunk, my roadkill skunk will be available in true breeding IBL form along with pollen from a tested proven roadkill male that skunks anything he touches and brings a hardy outdoor stable aspect to any strain. Sit back and enjoy the horse and pony show. If you want to test my statement pm me and see for yourself. Im only pursuing this for passion and willl gladly donate my passion to the world.

BLAH , BLAH , BLAH ...

Wendull C.

Veteran
The super skunk I mentioned a page or so back wasn't too powerful, just mellow not couchlock but not too mellow either. Good weekend morning weed.

First time I got it we woke up in the redwoods camping and smoked till noon, happy as shit. I miss the beauty of southern Humboldt.