What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Syrian landrace

Breadwizard

picture.php

Here's the clones just before topping. You can really see the variety in the genetics from this photo. Top left/right is A and B. Bottom left / right is D and E. All of these except E have shown sex, A, D are male. B, F, and C are female. C was discarded.

Breadwizard

Thought I'd stop in to show some studs. The first one is 'A' (this is the seed plant)
picture.php

The next one is 'D'
picture.php

Both of these will be used for open pollination for the next generation of seeds, however for outcrossing, I'm going to use D, as I prefer it's structure and color. D is more vigerous, appears the to be more sativa in leaf expression, has tighter nodes, shows more purples and, has a thicker cluster of male parts.

Once the girls get further into flower I will document them as well.

AbuKeif

Am majorly digging these updates and your beautiful photos! Looking forward to doing a similar repro-run of the Syrian, after my Malana Cream and Lebanese projects are finished. I would be particularly curious to learn more about any perceived differences between RSC's Syrian and Lebanese lines--it seems to me they can't be too terribly different at their not-so-far geographic remove, but I'm looking forward to testing that hypothesis :watchplant:

Breadwizard

I originally grabbed these Syrians because the Lebanese was out at the seed shop I ordered from. I can't imagine they are terribly different, being a very similar location. All of these semi auto flowering hash plants are quite interesting to me, and I hope to collect a few more to attempt climatizing them to similar latitudes in California. Lebanese, Moroccan, Greek, etc, bring on the Mediterranean hash plants!

Definitely post up pics of your Lebanese grow as they come along.

Breadwizard

Update on the female seed plants, here they both are at 5 weeks from showing sex in flower. First is B, which is the more narrow leaf leaning. She is the taller, stretchier of the two that made the cut.
picture.php

Second one is 'E' which has always been the most wide leaf of the selection, flowers and habit look very much "indica"
picture.php

Aromas of each are similar, sweet citric pine, with a light hashy back note. Probably another update will be forthcoming before the chop.

CodyPomeray

Incredible. Was saying 3 nights ago to a friend about finding a high THCV and it has to be out there in some landrace just waiting to be found.

Breadwizard

Just cut down the seed plants. A few notes:

'E' - most "indica" looking pheno. Aroma is sweet piney citrus, with a lingering "hashy" funk. Buds themselves were denser than the other pheno, but had less overall weight/size

'B' - "sativa" presenting pheno. Was very much surprised by the aroma: overripe peaches! Very much like the smell of a bunch of windfall peaches on the ground after a good storm. Yeld was higher than the indica pheno, and had frostier trim.

Really looking forward to seeing if the peach smell sticks around.

AbuKeif

Breadwizard, I look forward to the smoking report :)

Seconded! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of somebody coming across a peach pheno before... especially in the Middle Eastern and North African hashplants, which I think of as having a more ‘savory’ scent profile. Just shows how much diversity there is lurking in the gene pools out there... Can’t wait to hear how they smoke!

Breadwizard

It seems that 'B' is certainly more wild than 'E'

Clone 'B' is pushing pistols in my veg chamber, possibly due to being a bit rootbound. 'E' on the other hand is resisting switching over to flower. I put my 'E' clone into flower for a sinse run over a week ago, and still no sign of hairs. The structural is bushy, and seems to lend itself to indoors better than the more NLD plant.
Here's 'E' after a folar feed.
picture.php

Breadwizard

Mini smoke report:

Conditions: rolled into two similar sized medium sized joints. Both times were the only smoke of the day, smoked a day apart. These were seeded buds from the open pollinated seed plants.

'B' breaks apart with a sweet aroma. The peaches have subsided, but the clean sweet aroma remains, (not berry). Light "sour" or "fermented fruit" funk has peaked through after a bit of a time in glass. Smokes smooth, not very dense smoke, little to no expansion. The fruit does not carry through the joint, more sweet light pine or cedar. A bit of head lift begins half way through joint, colors brighten somewhat. Very clear effect, a bit of muscle relaxation, mostly just a general zen-like chill to let go off worries and enjoy the now. No foggy head effects, or couchlock. Head effects were pretty short lived, 30-45 mins, leveled off to an almost imperceptible chill. Not potant, but wasn't expecting it to be.

'E' breaks apart with almost no smell. Light piney "green" smell. Calexs are larger, denser flowers. This pheno holds onto seeds tighter, the other they couldn't wait to evacuate the buds. Smokes similar to 'B' however 'E' has a denser smoke, and is a bit more coarse. Almost no taste other than a slight piney hashy taste. This pheno is a touch sleepier, with less head lift. Still was able to work around the house unhindered. A bit more of a medical feel, less "fun" than 'B' seems to be. Guessing this is the higher CBD of the two, but I could be wrong. Longer lasting, but more boring in effect.

I have a sinse run of 'E' going right now with a larger plant, 'B' didn't want to stay in veg for me, so I got two small nugs off it. Both of these plants have almost no stretch, so once 'B' began to flower in my veg cabinet, it was resigned to be small. I do have both of these phenos (and a chosen male) backed up on my grafted mother plant, in case I want to make more seed, or try to grow a larger 'B' plant later outdoors, as it is not so happy about indoor growing in my space.

Dogtown

Hi guys,

wanted to share some photos and information about the 'Syrian' strain grow in the last three years.
The first two pictures are from 2017 and 2018 on the same spot. They we're about 1m tall and coloured purple during the flowering phase as temperature was getting cooler. The spot was located on a southern slope. In 2017 and 2018 we had a extremely drought period, but the Syrian's did stand the heat and drought with no problem. I guess if they had more water they would have grown taller. They we're harvested by middle of October. I recognized an intense smell of bubblegum on these cultivars. The high is relaxed, more a body high, with no couchlock effect, however good medical properties. Comparable to Breadwizard's experience on phenotype 'E'.

Syrian.png

Syrian.jpg

P1130610.jpg

P1040539.jpg

P1050681.jpg

Last year's Syrian was outstanding. Used another spot which was more moist then the other one and she was planted earlier than the other ones at beginning of May. She showed also good resistance against heat and drought. This phenotype started around end of August with flowering but developed extremely fast! Harvest was around 20th of October. Last years fall was worst since years, a lot of rain during harvest time but she was chopped at a height of 2,20m with no mold. I crossed her with 'Turkish' (TRSC), 'Lebanese' (TRSC) and a Durban Poison Amazing Special (thanks @Arnold). Flowers we're more airy then the other phenotypes and has less trichomes. This phenotype has a uplift with clear head high and a slightly body high, doing paper work or physical work is going well. Good smoke for the day while being relaxed and fully functional. Comparable to Breadwizard's experience on phenotype 'B'.

Great strain where you can explore different phenotypes and cannabinoid profiles. Very suitable for growing on the 50° latitude.

all best
Dogtown

Breadwizard

Love the look of that NLD pheno. How did she hold up to humidity that late in the year? This makes me resolute that my choice of the 'B' branch to continue the line is the correct one, especially for outdoor purposes.

I have since harvested the seedless run of 'E' after it catching quite the PM infection (appears more prone than anything else in my flower room). The boring effect, and slow change to flowering is pushing me to abandon the 'E' branch.

Latest posts

Latest posts