What's new

compost tea brewing question

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I can't seem to get any foam/froth floating, even after 24 hours of brewing. I have 3 bubblers in the reservoir, should be more then enough? My dry ingredients are in a thin material silk screen type bag, It keeps floating to the top of my reservoir, should i throw a rock in the bag to weigh it down, will that help? I just want frothy/bubbly floaty good stuff, but its not happening. Thanks

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Noob question also about Brix. I always thought it was a sugar/sweetner, so i figured to use it halfway through flowering. I was told every time i water with tea to add brix to it? From start to finish?

What bubblers are you using and how rapid are they creating bubbles. From what I've read it has to be a pretty badass pump, the simple Walmart pumps just won't cut it

theJointedOne

Veteran
Your tea doesn't have to have foam to be awesome.

Its just growlore

Check out some of the tea stickies here on icmag, one of the threads points out that foam is not a must see for good tea.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Just add some thing with rich in amioacids its protein like substances that produce that foam

I am on with TJO its growlore that u need foam

Regarding BRIX its a number when u do leaf sap analysis - then more minerals - sugars ect there is in that sap the higher the BRIX number

S

Smoke Buddy

Hi~Brix product is molasses as far as I know. I use it in every batch of tea.it's to feed the microbes. I will continue to use it as I start adding guano to the tea in flower. I always have foam in my simple tea of ewc and molasses. Good luck bro.
*rasta*

My teas don't foam until the 3rd day but they consistently start to foam on the third day every time. I'm sure it all depends on the mix of bacteria and fungus strains naturally present in your teas. In any case your are definitely good to use after 48 hours if not sooner.

Hi~Brix product is molasses as far as I know. I use it in every batch of tea.it's to feed the microbes. I will continue to use it as I start adding guano to the tea in flower. I always have foam in my simple tea of ewc and molasses. Good luck bro.
*rasta*

This is correct, all those "Brix" products are just molasses. I use a tablespoon per gallon in my teas. I wouldn't water with molasses every time. It is just to feed the microbes, the plant cannot take up sugar threw the roots according to everything I have read. Also the main benefit of teas is the nutrients not the microbes. Your soil is an ecosystem and can only support so many microbes. The only way increase this microbial activity for extended period of time is to add substrate for them to colonize (such as molasses, compost, cow manure, mulch, organic fertilizers, etc). Most of the microbes in the teas will die shortly after being introduced to the soil. I suggest mulching a 2 inch thick layer of cow manure around your plants. That will add a great substrate for your little critters to colonize.