What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lucas Formula : Does it need anthing else?

mrOJ

Hey all,
I am currently using the Lucas forumla with maxi grow and maxi bloom. Was wondering if anyone has any input on whether this regimen can use some doctoring or is it just good to go the way it is? Appreciate any help, Thanks guys!

Z

z-ro

it can get you by, but i prefer to have at least some epsom salt and a silicon product on hand. from there you can add whatever other supplements you may desire.

gardener60

I use the Lucas Formula and it says not to use anything else. It is suppose to take care of the Cal/Mag too. I have used Rapid Start with it. I thought i had a Cal/Mag problem once but i think it more of a lock out issue because I never did a flush the whole growing time at all, so i flushed for several days and got back on track and put her back on the formula.

Silica really helps... Wish I started using that stuff right off the bat. Plants stems grow twice as a fast. But the stems are soft. Before my plants grow really slow using just maxibloom with stems hard like tree twigs. I suppose though thats not a completly bad thing, the plants then dont need trellis or supports.

Last edited:

Dkgrower

Veteran
i made alot of buds using the lucas formular and it works just fine like it did ages ago, you can improve it on calcium part.

The target Ca level is 150PPM and thats pretty hard to reach

So if you want to to add some thing extra to your feed, then a calcium rich fertiliser product foliar feed 2-3 times pr week, you would see better results.
How much depends on your water natural calium level.

Tynehead Tom

I don't use maxibloom but I do use lucas formula with general hydro flora series.
I'm in soiless mix (sunshine 4) and run ph at 6.8 , 6.3 late flower and flush.
The only addative I use in conjunction with the nutes is Koolbloom at 1/4 tspn per gallon after I've mixed the nutes, in stages during mid to late flower.
I don't add any calmag but I use 3/4 gallon RO water, mix my nutes in that (1 gallon strength) and then top up the gallon with my well water. haven't had a deficiency yet that hasn't been caused by PH being off vs a actual deficiency in cal or mag.

bigbadbiddy

PSA:

Monsanto holds a controlling stake in the company that purchased General Hydroponics a few years back.

The Lucas Formula is a fine thing but anyone using it is using GH products.

And if, as a cannabis grower, you purchase products that directly profit Monsanto, knowingly, then I don't know what's wrong with you.

stim

I have used 6/9 micro/bloom lucas in coco and DWC for years. buy jungle juice if you don't want to "support Monsanto" although advanced probably buys it from GH and are Just as bad IMO. I would definitely add silica diversifying your sources of it is always desirable I always use diotematious earth top dress in coco and rhino skin if I have it. Cal can be added I would use something like demeters destiny. I add osa28 and deep6 via root drench thru early-mid bloom and foliar nitrozyme and fossil fuel till early bloom. I sometimes add RAW potassium (potassium sulfate) late bloom but straight 6/9 lucas is fine bloom booster wise. Basically the 6/9 lucas works as standalone nutrients or as a great base to add calculated additives to. The key for me is it's lower heavy metals than all they expensive nutrients.

stim

BTW osa28 is also a silica source I use and I amend my coco with growstones as well. Thanks hope it helps

Dollar

I use the Lucas formula 8/16 (flora micro & flora bloom). Only thing I add is Protekt (silica). Bomb ass finished product every time. Shit works!

rootfingers

After lots of playing with lucas - I add 1 ml per gln of floralicious, and a light top-dress of calcium nitrate. For late boost purposes I do about a week of MOAB. This gets it done right for me and on the cheap. Also, if your tap water is less than 200 ppm use it.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

picture.php

picture.php

10 day veg from rooted clone transplanted to a 1 gallon, 2 feedings @ 4ml micro /8ml bloom ph 6.8 (sunshine mix 4 soilless mix).
letting pot dry up after 2nd feeding
transplant to 3 gallon and into the flower room on day 11
Then 8ml micro/16bloom on a feed, feed, flush (to 20% runoff) . average feedings of 1/2 gallon every 3 days, flush with 2 gallons.
flush is 2mL micro/4mL bloom ph to 6.8 (350 ppm)
at the mid point of flower I start using the Koolbloom
always allowing for a 10 to 14 day flush.
works for me and I have at least 4 varieties going right now, 2 of those from seed.
I want to switch to organics down the road but for now, the method I'm using is cheap and easy and really hard to fugger up if you watch your measurements and be a Nazi about your PH.

Hash2k

View Image
View Image

10 day veg from rooted clone transplanted to a 1 gallon, 2 feedings @ 4ml micro /8ml bloom ph 6.8 (sunshine mix 4 soilless mix).
letting pot dry up after 2nd feeding
transplant to 3 gallon and into the flower room on day 11
Then 8ml micro/16bloom on a feed, feed, flush (to 20% runoff) . average feedings of 1/2 gallon every 3 days, flush with 2 gallons.
flush is 2mL micro/4mL bloom ph to 6.8 (350 ppm)
at the mid point of flower I start using the Koolbloom
always allowing for a 10 to 14 day flush.
works for me and I have at least 4 varieties going right now, 2 of those from seed.
I want to switch to organics down the road but for now, the method I'm using is cheap and easy and really hard to fugger up if you watch your measurements and be a Nazi about your PH.
Dry or liquid koolbloom?

Tynehead Tom

powder Koolbloom. dead on 1/4 teaspoon added to each 4 liters/1 gallon of mixed nutes.
they generally get 4 to 5 feedings of the koolbloom starting mid flower, then back to regular nutes before the flush.
I'm no pro at using koolbloom but I'm happy with the results I'm getting.
haven't used it in a full hydro set up, just in soiless mix. The ratios for lucas formular are a bit different for hydro I think(?) and for certain PH settings will be different.

Hash2k

powder Koolbloom. dead on 1/4 teaspoon added to each 4 liters/1 gallon of mixed nutes.
they generally get 4 to 5 feedings of the koolbloom starting mid flower, then back to regular nutes before the flush.
I'm no pro at using koolbloom but I'm happy with the results I'm getting.
haven't used it in a full hydro set up, just in soiless mix. The ratios for lucas formular are a bit different for hydro I think(?) and for certain PH settings will be different.
This helps me seems alot of places on line was hating on koolbloom dry with the lucas,have you tried the liquid version?

I've had success with this starting out. So much hype wih bottles nutes these days. I'm glad I'm making the switch to organics

bigbadbiddy

This helps me seems alot of places on line was hating on koolbloom dry with the lucas,have you tried the liquid version?

Really?
Every thread or info I read on the Lucas Formula suggested that if you can get Maxibloom, then get Maxibloom as it is by far the most cost effective way to use the Lucas Formula and has the same results as the other alternatives (with the liquid versions).

Honestly, we need someone to update the Lucas Formula with a non Monsanto/Bayer alternative.
Even if it is dead cheap compared to so many other alternatives, just don't do it guys. Don't give them your money. They are exactly the people that forced the prohibition on us ...

I advocate organic/living soil. I bet it is cheaper than even the Lucas Formula after maybe 2 years. Results should also be better.

Latest posts

Latest posts