What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fully sealed dry room...

testing

So I'm aware on how a CEG works, and my understanding is that with zero air exchange there is no where for the smelly air to go. So my question is... Can you apply the same principles of a CEG to a dry room? It seems simple, you build the room, seal and insulate it, make sure no air is escaping and do not exhaust. Then the RH of air inside the dry room is regulated with a dehumidifier, and temperature controlled with AC. Additionally its probably a good idea to throw a carbon scrubber in there. So..... Is that it? Is controlling the Temp and RH enough? or is there something about recycled air that causes problems when drying? Or is there really no difference and as long as Temp and RH are in the desired zones.

Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't been able to find any info on the subject.

testing

Should I move this thread to grow room design? I cannot believe no one has any info on this subject.

T

TreehouseJ

Probably not the most qualified person to answer this, but it seems like most all pros just hang their stuff upside down in a spare bedroom or bathroom for 7-14 days with gentle air flow. I just built a 30"x30"x60" cab from PVC and bubble foil and set a little fan to exhaust a 4-5 seconds every hour straight into carbon filter, using a couple frozen water jugs every 12 hours after day 3 to chill and then sweating in paper bags around day 7. Shouldn't need a dehuey unless its humid or you are stacked with plants. I have dried a couple lbs in a 10x8x8 CGE, assisted by AC and dehu, but that area seems a little too big as opposed to the 800gs or whatever it was that I was drying to really have a solid answer, and I did open the door every day to manicure, so.. From my understanding, you do want 10% air exchange every hour, as well as having temp and rh in check.

T

TreehouseJ

Also, I regretted the downtime so much that I decided to never use a grow space to dry if I can help it.

Dkgrower

Veteran
So..... Is that it?

Yes.

is there something about recycled air that causes problems when drying?

No.

I used to dry my cut n trimmed buds for 3days in open cardbord box, those for fruit n such, with a news paper in the bottom of the box, flip them around in the moring n afternoon. After 3 days dump them into larger air tight collection boxes.
Lift the lids on the collection boxes every day untill the buds are dry and can be bagged for long term storage.

This system work very good if you use trimming machine or crew and want it done fast, i used to have times where the dry room was full n the trimmers could not work untill i added some heat n dehumi in the equation
Build a self system n u can stack the whole room u can dry very large amounts