What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Glue Factor - Advanced Plant Nutrition!

glue

When cannabis is grown to its full genetic potential bagseed can become something with the texture of adhesive without the slightest resemblance to the buds the seeds came from. The trichomes become large and glisten/sparkle like diamonds when you twirl the buds between your fingers and it becomes almost impossible to chop up. Scissor hash makes the blades unable to cut after a couple seconds and you need to scrape the finger hash off too before rolling it all into a little ball. Even after scraping as much of the caked up resin off your fingers as possible they become stained and are penetrated by that (usually) pine smelling glue and stick together then make a very loud noise as you pull them appart. If you have done this before, how did you do it? In my case it was done mostly with organic nutes. I have grown bud like this many times but I'm still not sure exactly what gave me that glue like resin but I think my source of K had a lot to do with it. I haven't been able to grow for many years and I must learn how to do it all over again.

During flowering I like to decrease the P and increase K as things progress, it is my source of K on which I am stuck. Muriate of Potash smells like swimming pool additive and it seems not all sulphate of Potash is created equal. I have read that potassium sulphate is odourless but the stuff I used to use had a slight sulpur Smell I think when combined with water and worked almost immediately, worked well. The sulphate of Potash I have bought recently doesn't seem to work at all, I'd probably salt out before I got the results I'm looking for. I'm guessing the stuff I was using a while back must have been very high quality soluble fines.. I'm looking for that same stuff again or better. Bass liquid potash says it's got potassium sulphate in it which they claim is the most available form but along with Searles and other companies they pack it with loads of other shit I don't want, they are basically NPK ferts, slightly sticky buds can be achieved with "superior" Potash but that name is deceptive, it's packed with loads of other shit too so what I am looking for is a product that is superior to "superior" Potash. What is the best source of K? I have thought about experimenting with potassium carbonate and citrate too after reading some very positive results on mango trees, (better than sulphate, lower salt index but high PH). So what is the absolute best source of K please and where do I get it, I want sticky buds again, Thanks.

wumpyc

Kool Aid
srs dunno lol
subbed :tiphat: cheers
P.S. I would asume anything from potatoes carrots lavender & herbakush woud mix and make good soil, adding nutrients with teas?

Last edited:

glue

Has anyone tried products like folimax, K-rich, Yates potassium citrate, etc? I wonder what would happen if I washed the potassium salts out of wood ash, converted some carbonate into citrate and buffered the shit? Would it work? be better than sulphate?? If someone could save me the hastle I'd appreciate it.. I'm pretty sure good source of K used correctly is largely responsible for the resinous buds I used to be able to grow so I have become obsessive about it now, Sorry.

glue

I know about kelp/seaweed as a source of potassium but in my experience it helps to give it a little more than can be obtained via these sources alone at certain stages of the plants development. Has anyone else hit that sweet spot with cannabis where it turns to glue? How?? Is K sulphate the best source? If so, Does anyone know where to source the world's best soluble fines? Pure liquid source would be nice, how Does the stuff from the salt lake in the states rate? Some mined sources are better than others it seems, I want the best in the world, thanks again.

Dkgrower

Veteran
the chemical version, standart is potassium chloride, strong poison or potassium sulfate =)

You can evaporate the chloride off a potassium chloride solution and end up with a highly reactive K-solution with strong alkaline properties

Hence using K-citrate, very reactive, you will add some thing that will drive the pH up, hence u cant use 100% nitrate based N u need to introduce some ammonical based N to counter that.
Nitrates are better form of N since it give the plant better option to use Calcium, Fosfor and other elements.

There is alot of chaos laws when mixing fertilisers, you really dont know with out lab tests whats really going on in the soup of ions.

So my advise is to stick with potassium sulfate or test it out on a coupel of plants to see the effect =).