What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Questions about running 5-12-26 and Cal. Nitrate

yweride

First time post here and first time grower, though i do have extensive knowledge of growing other plants.

I am growing in 50/50 mix of perlite and coco, plus tons of microiza, using 100 gallon Smarts pots.

I have been using Jacks Hydro 5-12-26 at 150-200 ppm in a 5 gallon stock tank solution and also the Calcium Nitrate at 100-150 ppm. Flushing every two weeks or so with just water. The stock tank solutions are based off the manufacture recommendations found on the side of the bag. For example, 18 oz of 5-12-26 / 1 gal of water.

I draw from the stock tanks with a Dosatron injector set at 1/100, which runs through 3 spray emitters per plant.

So far everything looks really good, plants are about 5' tall, full and have really good color. I don't see any issues so far, but i wanted to check out to see what people thought about the rate of fert. i am using? Anything i am missing or need to change? I plan on backing off of the Calcium Nitrate once we start flowering.

Other things i need to do is get a ec/ppm meter to check my fert. program.

Thanks for any reccomendations/input!

reg24

Welcome...I can do a little math on your stock solution

I'm canadian eh so metric...18oz x 28 = 504 g /3.75 = 134 grams per litre makes your q00 to 1 stock solution ...so 134 divided by 100 = 1.34g /lok

So n is easy 50 x 1.34 =67 ppm N
P goes 120 x .44 = 52.8 ok so call it 53 x 1.34 = 71 ppm P
K goes 260 x .83 = 215.8 ... 216 x 1.34 = 290 ppm K

so your mix is 1.34 grams per litre ...I think the more used formula is between .88 and 1 gram per litre
I allways thought 1 gram per o f jacks and .67 grams per litre of CaNO3 worked when I used it

Reg

Dkgrower

Veteran
I dont know the Sulfor levels in Jacks but u might be smart to add some bitter salts when trichomes start to form

You water is that hard or soft, because if it is soft u might have to supplement with Ca in flower when u remove the calcnite

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i use jacks. i dont use a doser but. you can work the math backwards.
i use it as a hydro nute in coco. sometimes with aggregate like you but usually not. i tend to use hydroton instead of perlite but i have. lately i only use coco.

anyway my point is that in coco you get better results using smaller pots that need water more frequently.so small that they need water several times per lights on. one to 2 gallon pots at about 4-12 plants per light.

i use a low feed and they eat all that i give them and dont need more at about 1.2-1.4 e.c.

jacks i use with tap water that is so close to r.o. it might as well be. 60 ppm out the tap.
i add
this ratio diluted down to 72% by watering it down til my e.c. meter says the desired number.

i fill tank to about 3/4 full
ad 3 grams of jacks
1.8 grams of calnit.
1 gram epsom (great source of magnesium and sulfur)

for simplicity sake we can refer to this as the 3-2-1 recipe even though
its actually a 3-1.8-1 ratio

another way people use it is to omit the epsom and spoon in equal by volume of jacks powder and calnit at that bead size. they are meant to be used that way.
people have great results that way too.

i then turn water on tank til it gets to 1.2-1.4 e.c. or 600-700 ppms at 500 scale(most american meters).

i ph to 5.8-6.4 but i aim for 6.0-6.2 if it strays i dont correct unless it leaves the broader range. i dont ph too much because id rather run slight ph variance than change the nute profile by adding the ph stuff unless it strays too far.

this works great. i dont alter feed late in flower i simply taper the whole recipe down by just diluting.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
another way to do it is to make stock of each

using jacks and calnit at a 1:67 ratio respectively by ppm

you can calculate the ppms you lack in the rez.

my tank is 100 gallons and tap is 60 ppms

so i need 540 ppms total

so i subtract 60 for 540 net need.

i divide 540 by 1.67 to get the ppms of jacks to add.so i then get 320. i slowly add jacks stock til i hit 60 +320 stopping at 380.

for my calnit i then calculate.
multiply 0.67 to the amount of jacks ppms (320) and you get the number ppms of calnit to add
217 (220) ppms
pour in cal nit til i see it rise by that to get to a grand total of 60+320+220=

i personally then add .72 grams per gallon made of epsom to the end mix.
not everyone does.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
the conversion to 72% recipe by weight per gallon. swiped this exact method and exact strength from a member whos name i forget on that site i dont go to anymore about this very topic.
its a very lively thread on jacks and i think its great.i just dont visit that site anymore. changed computers lost email and password and never attempted to retrieve.
2.16 grams jacks
1.29 grams calnit
0.72 grams epsom
i use a 100 gallon tank so the decimals make a difference.
ph of course to 5.9-6.2 aiming at 6.0

that makes me a tank at about 1.2 ish e.c.

hope this helps.:tiphat:

lately ive been using a mix of gh grow and bloom at one spot. its easier to get in my area. ends up similar price when you add shipping. i have jacks around too and use them similarly. i like the jacks better because it doesnt lock out as bad if the powder gets cakey.

dissolute

my 72% recipe by weight per gallon
2.16 grams jacks
1.29 grams calnit
0.72 grams epsom
i use a 100 gallon tank so the decimals make a difference.
ph of course to 5.9-6.2 aiming at 6.0

that makes me a tank at about 1.2 ish e.c.

hope this helps.:tiphat:
do you add the epsom right away or wait till mid flower, and do you lower the calnit to something else?

dissolute

Thank you for your input, I'm thinking it's finally time I stop wasting money on boutique nutrients and convert to jacks.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd save the cash on the myco products as well. There is little evidence it works at all with well fed plants, though the Trichoderma most are overloaded with is beneficial. Trichoderma alone is much cheaper than the kitchen sink products most sell.

Latest posts

Latest posts