What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CannaButter Trim to Butter Ratio

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much to put in.... how much do I have??...

The more the merrier! Some edibles can be an intense experience...hehehe!

dank.Frank

MrQwerty

Obviously the crystal potent bud leaves will be more potent than other leaves but if the crystals are not visible is the leaf useless for cooking or hash? I know a fan leaf wont be as potent but is there any thc worth extracting? By useless I mean all together, ice hash, butane, cooking ect... Thanks

shmalphy

Veteran
Yes MrQwerty, actually those are still good. I wouldn't bother with hash or oil, just make butter out of 4oz trim to 1Lb butter ratio. It's just enough to wet it. You will be amazed at how potent it is. If you have a 30x you can see the trichomes on the fan leaves. They are really small and spaced out.

shmalphy

Veteran
my current favorite is a simple recipe

CannaBombs

Ratio is approximate, suit to taste and desired strength.

* 1/3 cannabutter
* 2/3 peanut butter
* powdered sugar til it is thick enough to form balls
* roll balls and freeze
* dip in chocolate (I use 2 forks hold and to dip them)
* cool and enjoy

This is from the thread I posted above. I use fan leaf for these at 4 oz to 1Lb ratio and they are STRONG. That can be adjusted with the ratio of canna to peanut butter

Scrappy4

Veteran
We have been trying to standardize our doses. I am decarbing the weed, then weighing it when it's bone dry powder. Then use a ratio of ground bud or whatever your using to fluid oz of oil. In our case that's coconut oil, with a little lecithin in it. We're getting fairly consistent batches. I use the ratio of 4 grams decarbed bud to 1 fluid oz of coconut oil for canna caps. Each size 00 gel cap has the equivalent of .2 grams of bud. This makes for slightly less intense effects as smoking a small amount of the same bud, but the effects last me for 4-6 hours. You can get early lift off if you take it with coffee or hot tea.

For medibles I use 2-3 grams of dry decarbed bud to fluid oz of oil.

For tha actual extraction we se a garage sale small crock pot. We put the meds in a jar, the jar goes in the crock pot and we fill the crock pot with water. I usually go 12 hours on the lowest setting, and fill the crock pot up with water a few times.

The meds will still hold a lot of oil. So we rinse the strained off buds in hot water from the crock pot. Then the oil in the hot water goes in the freezer until the oil hardens, and we recover it.

Anyway by using a high quality oil like coconut oil and enhancing the extraction with lecithin, and keeping the ratio of dry buds to oil gives us at least a little consitstancy. We can always alter the amounts for the effects as needed, but we have a starting point.....scrappy

Blue Socks

So basically I would be wasting my time trying to use 1/8th of popcorn buds integrated into 1 stick of butter? That is not enough to get a good effect correct?

shmalphy

Veteran
that is not true.

if it takes 1/4 gram of the material to get an effect from smoking, then you should get 14 servings or one batch of brownies.

when using fan leaf mixed trim, you need way more

Blue Socks

Ok thanks for that reply I was thinking it would be enough but I keep seeing people saying use 1-8 oz of plant matter per lb so it got me confused if it's enough. It's an 1/8th of those teeny tiny little buds that grow on the very bottoms of the plant they're not fully matured but they have tons of trichs so I figured it would do something.

vapedg13

Veteran
add 1 -1.5 g weed.... not sugar leaf trimmings... per tablespon butter...so 2 sticks butter gets 16-22 grams

I use volcano leftover duff for my cannna-butter (decarbed material) ...1 cup of duff to 2 sticks butter

Make your butter how you want to...but dont forget to wash/rinse your butter

Look at glass of cannabutter on the left...see how nasty the water is after one cleaning of the cannabutter

002-50.jpg

Cmobile9

Looks good V13 how do you wash the butter?
And does anybody use salted regular butter or do one absolutly need unsalted butter.

geeker

Cmobile9, i doubt it matters too terribly much whether you use salted or unsalted, aside from the added salt being an extra impurity to try and remove. though as far as cost goes, you can use what ever's cheapest in your area. heck, i read a post on here somewhere where smart butter was used.

Looks good V13 how do you wash the butter?
And does anybody use salted regular butter or do one absolutly need unsalted butter.

Great question about salted v. unsalted butter.The reason I do not use salted butter is taste.Think about how cooks use salt,often times salt is used to bring out the taste of what is being cooked.My grandpa used to put salt on his watermelon and I thought he was crazy,but it did bring out the sweetness of the melon.If I get too much of the 'taste' of infused butter it makes me retch and gag (I know I am a puss,haha).The last thing I want to bring out the flavor of the infused product.So other than health reasons or impurities taste is the main reason I do not use salted butter.Hope this helps my friends,be safe.

Skip

Veteran
I don't see it mentioned here, but one stick of butter = 4 oz.
So two sticks equals a cup.
Four sticks equals a pound or two cups.

That should help your recipes.