What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CannaButter Trim to Butter Ratio

Gooey

Hey everyone i am about to make some butter....i have plenty of trim i was just curious if people have any certain amount they use to get strong butter...it will all be for patients who want a strong effect...anyways thanks for any responses...puff puff pass

K

kannubis

half gallon to a gallon of dry crumbled trim to a pound makes pretty good butter IME

darklands

A good rule of thumb

A good rule of thumb

Assuming that your trim is dried and ground into powder, try sauteing the trim on low heat using only enough butter to evenly coat all of the trim without forming any pools of excess butter. In other words, the trim should fully absorb all of the melted butter. Add butter in increments until the trim stops absorbing any more. Once you reach this stage, add water and simmer until ready. Keep track of your amounts for the next batch. Depending on the quality of the trim, this should result in high-potency cannabutter (one dose = one-fourth to one-third of a teaspoon).

maxmurder

Veteran
Or one cup of butter to an ounce of trim...
not sure if 4 cubes is a cup or not, gf is out getting butter as we speak but-she makes the butter in crockpot, same same everytime: 4 sticks organic unsalted butter in crock with 28-30 grams of really good trim on high until butter melts then low for about 8 hrs, stirring every 1/2 hr or so, then into coffee french press to squeeze out material and pour green goo into measuring cup, should be 2 cubes worth which is just right for our cookie recipe. i ALWAYS take about 1/2 the first time just to make sure tho :yummy:

Barn Owl

not sure if 4 cubes is a cup or not, gf is out getting butter as we speak but-she makes the butter in crockpot, same same everytime: 4 sticks organic unsalted butter in crock with 28-30 grams of really good trim on high until butter melts then low for about 8 hrs, stirring every 1/2 hr or so, then into coffee french press to squeeze out material and pour green goo into measuring cup, should be 2 cubes worth which is just right for our cookie recipe. i ALWAYS take about 1/2 the first time just to make sure tho :yummy:

Me niether, I just use sesamie oil, but the ratiuos are the same for me.

Gooey

Hmm alot of varying replys...8 ozs of trim to a lb of butter seems to be on the high....hmmm i guess i will try 6 an c how that goes///thx for all the replys

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I think its kinda silly to put any blanket number on that. Are we talking sweet sugar leaf? Or a garbage bag full of fan leaves? Big difference.

Ed Rosenthal says 1 stick of butter for a 1/4 ounce of high grade bud. So thats what I use to judge it. I know how high 1/4 of a gram of pot gets me. So I pile up a little bit of my culinary herb until I figure it would get me about as high. For instance if its pretty sugary, and I figure a 1 gram joint of it would get me as high as a 1/4 gram bong hit of bud then that is 4x less potent. So an ounce per stick of butter as opposed to a quarter sack. If its low grade trim and I figure I'd have to smoke 3 grams of it to do the job then I'd use three ounces per stick of butter.

See what I'm saying?

K

kannubis

I guess it will be up to you to figure out your best ratio. How did it come out?
1 stick of butter is half a cup. Half a gallon is about 4 ounces of trim unless it is powdered, which is heavier. The more sugar leaf, the better. When it comes to using bud, I like to go about 2 ounces per pound of butter, or 1 ounce a cup = half ounce a stick. My trim butter usually comes out stronger than my bud butter, and has more of a bone ache relieving effect. Bud butter has more of a mind effect with pretty good body too, but I prefer trim for cooking purposes.
Either way, the stuff does the trick. Enjoy!

Elk Woman

I''m a big fan of green cookies, and I appreciate hearing from others here how they process the butters (and coconut oil: you will LOVE it!). I use a crock pot, and make it a point to keep the temperatures to be below 300 degrees, as otherwise the green batch can be ruined: that's how you get the dark brown oils that taste so funky and give you headaches. Since I found that information, I'm enjoying the treats much more. Also, I've used water in the crock pot with the sweet leaves and it seems to be more hassle than it's worth. Sorting out the good green from the mediocre also seems to make the best quality cookies, and I should know, since I've been baking since my grandma taught me as a young girl.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I''m a big fan of green cookies, and I appreciate hearing from others here how they process the butters (and coconut oil: you will LOVE it!).

It makes the taste better no doubt. But quality is just due to quality of stuff. For instance if you have a bunch of trim leaf from good bud but it isn't that resinous, the stone of the butter will still be top notch. But if you use immature buds, etc, the high will still be off.

If you like butter recipes I use what I was told is Ed Rosenthals recipe. Ed had been a hero of mine since I was a kid, and his was the first grow book I ever had. I'm a big fan of the recipe, and I've had great success with it.

Use a glass casserole dish with a lid, or an all metal cooking pot with a top.

1 to 1&1/2 cups of water per stick of butter. Or just enough to submerge all of the leaf material in a pot. Check as it cooks to see if you may need to add water. Water is used to prevent the butter from dehydrating, and separating bud from butter.

7 grams of true AAA, or 10 of good bud per stick of butter. Curiously in the old days I was told one ounce of good shwag per stick. A 1/4 of heads, and an ounce of good brick both cost around 100 dollars so that is probably pretty close. Of course the equivalent in shwag or trim will also work but taste worse due to the amount of chlorophyll that makes it in the butter.

Put in oven at 200 degrees for 12-14 hours. Stir often if using trim leaf.

Butter doesn't instantly dissolve resin like rubbing alcohol, and it has a lot of surface area it needs to contact, so it needs a while to dissolve. Its a temperature just below boiling and doesn't degrade the thc or burn the butter. I strain the material out with cheesecloth and make sure to squeeze it good and rinse it out with hot water to get all the butter out. Put it in the fridge to harden. Pull off the top layer, and strain the rest through a fine mesh strainer.

Then its ready to use. I trust Ed because he's one of those people who take things to a tested and scientific level.

I'm curious to hear your coconut oil recipe if you don't mind. I was thinking about that the other night. Oil lasts much longer than butter correct? So it should have a longer shelf life. How much high quality bud do you use per cup of oil?

I'd guess 7g to 1/4 cup of oil.

Gooey

Thx for the reply amigo...rosenthal sure is a authority...i think i am going to go with hash..for the butter...figure that will be potent an little green taste....having to many choices lol

shmalphy

Veteran
4 to 1 is the rule = 4oz trim to 1lb butter

a pretty reliable source told me this is the industry standard, YMMV

Using ghee, and crumbled decarbed starting material is key. No water. then you just heat 4 hours freezing 2 hours in the middle (that's 2 hours heat 2 hours in the freezer then 2 hours heat) then strain and enjoy

You can use any leaf, or buds. The more potent the starting product is, the more potent the finished product will be.

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
Nice thread!

Just made some butter myself. Love it strong!

380g of semi-dried(was going to bubble hash) sugar trim to 1/2 lb (2-sticks) butter. Should make ~ 45-50 brownies/cookies/snack bars/etc.

Since the trim was about half dried I assume the 380g would dry out more, to say roughly 190g......divided into 45-50 edibles.....roughly 3.8-4.2g trim per edible. :dance013:

geeker

my rule of thumb for butter is 1/2 oz of trim/shake/popcorn/whatever to 1 stick of butter. comes to 2 oz herb for every 1lb butter. never once a complaint have i heard.

Edit: finally got a complaint that it wasn't strong enough. time to whip out the coma cookies...

Last edited: