What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Over watering question

G

If you can grow in a DWC type set up with the root system completely submerged in water or nutreint solution, how is it ever possible to overwater in other grow styles ie. NFT, e&f, or soil?

Does the plant just acclimate to whatever grow style you choose or are all the people questioning if the are overwatering looking at the wrong issue/problem all together?

Mine go crazy if I flood 3 to 5 times a day for 15 to 45 minutes a time or 24/7 flood they do not seem to care. Either way they grow insanly fast with no ill effects.

I grow all hydro ebb & flow so do not know, just wondering

Hmmmm... can you over water or not?

Texas Kid

chemicalburn

Well overwatering is basically oxygen deprivation. If the roots are wet but have no oxygen, root rot starts.

In a good DWC system, there is more than enough oxygen for the plants to use, so the roots remain healthy and white.

In soil, if there is too much soil to the point where oxygen pockets are scarce, the plant will be deprived.

In NFT it can happen if the roots impead the flow of water and/or become submerged..

In ebb & flo it will happen if the roots are submerged for a long period of time..

on 24/7 though I would imagine the water picking up oxygen again as it falls into the res?
or if you use air pumps in the res?

G

Thanks Chem Burn,

I was just wondering the differences.

I do have airstones in my res. also so that's probably why I never have any problems

Texas Kid

G

SYK

I think it's just dumb luck.

Fortunately I've only let it run a couple of times 24/7 and it was because I vegged out and cycled the pump manually and then forgot to change it back to the auto-cycle mode. Fog on the brain helps you discover all kinds of silly shit.

God watches out for drunks, fools, and growers

Texas Kid