What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ball valve operating temperature

FieldsOil

I see lots of pictures on instagram of people who will place their stainless solvent tank on dry ice and complete and extraction. Dry ice( or a mixture) can reach temperature ranges lower then what ball valves are limited to.

Is there some special ball valve that everyone is using? Would running this way cause problems over time?

OregrownGreen

Typically the bottom of a collection vessel is put in dryice, or a single column pre-run. Very rarely would a ball valve make direct contact with dryice, and thus I doubt the ball valves would ever reach below -60(or whatever most ball valves are rated at).

Zipsort

Sometimes it can be an issue . And yes they do make cryogenic ball valves if it does become an issue for you.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the BV that came w my system from BVV & it does not reach crypto temps despite my collection pot reaching temps of -50 or lower than I can detect w my laser thermometer.

Latest posts

Latest posts