What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SFE of Sassafras?

WishDoctor

xtc wannabe maker for sure.

why not just go to your local occult bookshop and buy the 98% pure safrole oil, do a sulphuric acid clean up?
then start there, whole step eliminated. hell, back in the day on the hive when certain things were lets say easy, just listen to Eleusis!!!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Only kinda related. I read something by Paul Stamets saying you could take fresh picked mushrooms and chop them up, put in a cup and cover with ice cubes. Leave overnight. In the morning the blue water contains the psilocybin.
I have done psilocybin extract dry mushrooms with alcohol. So my first thought was I wonder if I can make bmo (butane mushroom oil) from fresh mushrooms?

Maybe someday?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone tried growing just the mycelium mat, drying it, and then extracting the psilocybin with solvent?

I'm attaching the relevant pages describing the process from "The Psychedelic Guide to the Preparation of the Eucharist in a few of it's many guises" as edited by Robert E. Brown & Associates of the Neo American Church League for Spiritual Development & The Ultimate Authority of the Clear Light.

The entire book can be found here,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7646205#post7646205

Attachments

• guide1.jpg
    guide1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 19
  • guide34.jpg
    guide34.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 15
  • guide35.jpg
    guide35.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
  • guide36.jpg
    guide36.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 14

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Butane will not extract psilocybin - maybe very high pressure CO2 and polar cosolvent will. Butane and sassafras sounds like a low yielding venture. Acetone would make it more interesting.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
That Indra might like to talk if he's still selling gear. Maybe butane would improve the flavor of mushrooms by removing wax or something? Methanol is preferred for extraction.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
If I remember correctly I ate 4 grams to start with. It sends you up super quick but then does not last as long. The rest went in chocolate and handed out at party.

I intended to try to smoke some but the guy who grew them said he had heard it could be bad for the lungs.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I forget where I read it but I have heard it could be vaporized with a longer lasting dmt like effect.

Wonder if it would stink my house up less?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Another good one - http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/extraction.htm

Dear Dr. Shulgin:

A friend of mine performed a Soxhlet extraction of 12 grams of powdered Psilocybe cubensis, using 95% ethanol. When the 60 mL of extract cooled to room temperature, many small transparent, colorless crystals had formed on the bottom of the container and did not redissolve on agitation. Do you know what these crystals are? -- Journeyman

Dear Journeyman:

There is a fascinating report in the literature that gives a quantitative measurement of the efficiency of extraction of both psilocybin and psilocin from the mushroom Psilocybe bohemica. The citation to the article is Kysilka, R. and Wurst, M., Planta Med. Vol. 56 pp. 327-328 (1990). These Czechoslovakian scientists studied the efficiency of both methanol and ethanol as solvents, each containing varying amounts of water. The results were, to me, both unexpected and most provocative.

The isolation of psilocybin seemed to be quite reasonable. This alkaloid is reasonably soluble in boiling water from which it can be nicely crystallized. It is less soluble in boiling methanol, and almost insoluble in boiling ethanol. And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better. The compound is, after all, a perfect example of a zwitterion, the internal salt of a phosphoric acid and an amine base.

But the numbers with psilocin are strange. With aqueous ethanol, the optimum extraction was with a 70% ethanol concentration, and the extraction efficiency dropped almost to zero when there was no water present. But methanol was extremely inefficient regardless of the amount of water present in it. These researchers were apparently surprised by these findings, as they explored further and uncovered other clues. Time is a factor. Psilocin is extracted at a much slower rate than is psilocybin because it is contained intracellularly in the plant, and thus slower to be gotten out. They conclude that many of the low psilocin assays of mushrooms are due to this difficulty of getting the alkaloid out of the plant and into the extracting solvent. Using this information they determined that the levels of psilocybin and psilocin are substantially the same in Psilocybe bohemica, in conflict with the published literature values where very small amounts of psilocin were observed.

Efficient extraction apparently requires patience.

As to the identity of the crystals that were drifting around in the cooled Soxhlet receiver, from their being insoluble in ethanol, and white, and transparent, I would guess that you are seeing pure psilocybin.

-- Dr. Shulgin

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
To each is their own. Not saying I have not had a few rough trips. But for me LSD has helped anxiety. Probably my favorite substance if I had to pick one. (Aya, mesc, dmt, fungi all close)

Latest posts

Latest posts