What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When there is a nutrient deficency, does Cannabis use all of its stored resources?

L

larry badiner

I've been flushing my plants for the past 2 weeks with plain, ph10 water, plants are healthy and the leaves are turning bright yellow, but I'm suspecting a nutrient lock out (which is what I was aiming for)

When Cannabis locks out nutrients, does it consume all stored resources?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
IMO, based on research and personal experimentation, cannabis is an accumulator. I believe the plant is capable of binding excess and unwanted elements directly to new growth tissue.

Unconverted and solidly fixed. I don't believe mobile/immobile element descriptions apply to these fixed elements.

L

larry badiner

IMO, based on research and personal experimentation, cannabis is an accumulator. I believe the plant is capable of binding excess and unwanted elements directly to new growth tissue.

Unconverted and solidly fixed. I don't believe mobile/immobile element descriptions apply to these fixed elements.

I don't know too much botany lol, but you're saying new tissue is the only part that consumes available chemicals?

Spaventa

Veteran
I've been flushing my plants for the past 2 weeks with plain, ph10 water, plants are healthy and the leaves are turning bright yellow, but I'm suspecting a nutrient lock out (which is what I was aiming for)

When Cannabis locks out nutrients, does it consume all stored resources?

Why do you suspect lock out? You been flushing for 2 weeks - thats why they yellowed.

G

Gr33nSanta

regardless, I shoot for as faded as possible, whether lock out and whatnot at harvest I want my plants to be starving. I do not always succeed and the weed is often very good with lush green plants but nothing comes close to a fully faded plant.

Spaventa

Veteran
You could try flushing with distilled water - it has a much better capacity to leach or wash out salts. Even water with 200 ppm has none of that positive charge to bind to negatively charged molecules like salts. It’s like trying to pick up more stuff when your hands are already full so when you try you even drop some of what you already have. Water does the same if it 200 ppm - it actually leaves stuff, it doesn't collect or clear anything.

A week after starting to use 000 ppm water. All the limescale in my kettle is gone. I guess it went through me but that was a while ago so by now my insides must be as shiny as the inside of my kettle :)

Douglas.Curtis

IMO, after 2 weeks of nothing all reserves have been depleted and only the mobile elements are available. I use 0-4ppm r/o. Tap water can have nitrogen, calcium and other elements which can prolong a fade.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i don't flush, i fade. it works for me.
i rarely put anything other than water on them either, all nutrients are already in the medium. occasionally foliar feed if/when problems arise.

Douglas.Curtis

i don't flush, i fade. it works for me.
i rarely put anything other than water on them either, all nutrients are already in the medium. occasionally foliar feed if/when problems arise.
I fade, then r/o flush for 5-7 days. Strictly hydro though. ;)

L

larry badiner

regardless, I shoot for as faded as possible, whether lock out and whatnot at harvest I want my plants to be starving. I do not always succeed and the weed is often very good with lush green plants but nothing comes close to a fully faded plant.

what does faded mean?

You could try flushing with distilled water - it has a much better capacity to leach or wash out salts. Even water with 200 ppm has none of that positive charge to bind to negatively charged molecules like salts. It’s like trying to pick up more stuff when your hands are already full so when you try you even drop some of what you already have. Water does the same if it 200 ppm - it actually leaves stuff, it doesn't collect or clear anything.

A week after starting to use 000 ppm water. All the limescale in my kettle is gone. I guess it went through me but that was a while ago so by now my insides must be as shiny as the inside of my kettle :)

i cant use r/o water, i have a 55 gallon rez for my main tent, 20 gallon on my 2x4 ebb table, and i have a tent for mother plants. its just too much work carrying that much water around

PRetty easy to get ro filter to fill your Rez directly with a float switch, or pump water to your Rez from wherever your ro filter is.

Douglas.Curtis

Plastic 55gal food grade drum, $10 aquarium pump, hose, float valve. Run the r/o to the drum with the float valve for a shutoff. Run the pump and use the hose to move it places.

Quality is worth the expense and effort to work with r/o ;)

My def of "the fade" is to maintain nearly the same transpiration rate during oil production as during flower production. I accomplish this by keeping the nutrient strength at a very slightly lower strength than the plant wants. They end up using any stored reserves of minerals and are yellow/tan/gold at harvest time instead of green.