What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Educational Podcast

J-Icky

I was listening to the Coots one earlier today. If I understood correctly he used barley for sst's mostly because he was getting int brewing beer and it was readily available. He also made it sound like all grains have similar enzymes.
So does this mean the wheat seeds I have will work similar to the barley used by everyone. If so I'm thrilled as I can get those seeds for very cheap and the only barley I can get "locally" would be a 2 1/2 hr round trip.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of these podcasts, especially the one including our own Microbeman.

And Microbeman, thanks to the links, I listen to podcasts all day at work and these will make my next couple of days fun to work. Just wish there were more growing, anything not just cannabis, podcasts as there seem to be a ton of cannabis podcasts but only a couple about growing. The rest are just politics and talking about whats happening in legal states. You wouldn't happen to know of any podcasts that are about organic gardening, not just cannabis but regular gardening in general.

ganjaguy66

This is so awesome!! Thank you so much Microbeman for this. I love this subject and can't get enough info on it. I have been growing strictly organic for the past 2 years and am never going back to the bottled nutes; so to speak.

Badfishy1

I was listening to the Coots one earlier today. If I understood correctly he used barley for sst's mostly because he was getting int brewing beer and it was readily available. He also made it sound like all grains have similar enzymes.
So does this mean the wheat seeds I have will work similar to the barley used by everyone. If so I'm thrilled as I can get those seeds for very cheap and the only barley I can get "locally" would be a 2 1/2 hr round trip.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of these podcasts, especially the one including our own Microbeman.

And Microbeman, thanks to the links, I listen to podcasts all day at work and these will make my next couple of days fun to work. Just wish there were more growing, anything not just cannabis, podcasts as there seem to be a ton of cannabis podcasts but only a couple about growing. The rest are just politics and talking about whats happening in legal states. You wouldn't happen to know of any podcasts that are about organic gardening, not just cannabis but regular gardening in general.

Pretty sure he stated MALTED barley, but yes he said malted rye would work also leading me to believe wheat also would. So yeah take and sprout wheat and you should be golden! Have to listen to that again, soooo much stuff coming so fast hard to digest it all! His EWC sounds amazing

J-Icky

At the end of the first episode he says to use whatever grain they have, and rye was an exception because of its high levels of phosphorous.

Thanks again for this link, and its awesome that the episode pages have a transcript of the episode. Makes it easy to go back and read everything to make sure you got the info right. Cant wait for more episodes of this.

h.h.

Veteran
spent grain

spent grain

Nice job Tad!

I'd like to know more about using spent grain. Currently I'm getting around 100 gallons a week.
I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd give this one a bump.

KIS

Nice job Tad!

I'd like to know more about using spent grain. Currently I'm getting around 100 gallons a week.
I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd give this one a bump.

spent grains don't have the same enzymatic activity as malted but I believe they would be a good food source in a worm bin or compost pile.

P-NUT

Veteran
My worms didnt seem to like spent beer grains as much as flies and other bugs so bury it in the bin or be prepared. Also dont put too much or it can heat up the bin. I think composting is a better idea. Too much in your soil can cause weird growth too. My kids planted okra where I used to feed spent grains to my pigs and they look strange and distorted but are still thriving.

KIS

My worms didnt seem to like spent beer grains as much as flies and other bugs so bury it in the bin or be prepared. Also dont put too much or it can heat up the bin. I think composting is a better idea. Too much in your soil can cause weird growth too. My kids planted okra where I used to feed spent grains to my pigs and they look strange and distorted but are still thriving.

Those are really good points regarding burying the material and limiting amounts. Thanks for bringing that up.

Side note, part 2 of my interview with Clackamas Coot is now live and available for download.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Just listened to it yesterday. Love how he just went off on this rant bitching about industry products one after another while your just going along listening, not sure how to give input. got some good stuff out of it though. Thanks for doing these!

h.h.

Veteran
Good advice.

My pigs and birds barely touch it. It seems a bit hot for the worms. The flies love it.
I'm getting truckloads of horse manure, I think I'll start mixing it in. Thanks.

KIS

Just listened to it yesterday. Love how he just went off on this rant bitching about industry products one after another while your just going along listening, not sure how to give input. got some good stuff out of it though. Thanks for doing these!

Fair point. It's hard to stay on topic sometimes, but I hope there was some worthwhile information. I know some of the future ones will be more focused on certain topics. Thanks for checking it out.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
spent grains don't have the same enzymatic activity as malted but I believe they would be a good food source in a worm bin or compost pile.

Just be sure they are 'beyond' germinating or you could have a big mess in worm compost.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One little note I should make after listening to Coot's interview I noticed him talking about farmers' not being able to afford to plant alfalfa year after year. (if I heard correctly) Coot likely has not been involved in that end of things.

Alfalfa is generally planted only once every 10 to 30 years depending on the farmer, soil, etc. It is a vibrant perennial sending roots deep. We over-seeded our field a little but basically maintained and cut it from 1985 to 2010 after it was originally seeded around 1978.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
One little note I should make after listening to Coot's interview I noticed him talking about farmers' not being able to afford to plant alfalfa year after year. (if I heard correctly) Coot likely has not been involved in that end of things.

Alfalfa is generally planted only once every 10 to 30 years depending on the farmer, soil, etc. It is a vibrant perennial sending roots deep. We over-seeded our field a little but basically maintained and cut it from 1985 to 2010 after it was originally seeded around 1978.
my take on that was: "didn't need to plant every year" as in 'it comes back as hard as the bock14 comfrey'

just what i understood him saying.:tiphat: i'm often wrong tho'

oh, also, thanks for the thread...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my take on that was: "didn't need to plant every year" as in 'it comes back as hard as the bock14 comfrey'

just what i understood him saying.:tiphat: i'm often wrong tho'

oh, also, thanks for the thread...

It is a little hard to decipher. You may be right. This is what I was unsure of. I'm often wrong as well.

"But those soils are some of the richest volcanic soils in the world literally and alfalfa, because you don't plant it every year, you’d go broke, you're ever priced alfalfa seeds?"