What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Industrial Hemp in Oregon

PDX Dopesmoker

Hey man, put on your pedagogical hat here. You are profoundly far ahead of the rest of us. You talk, me listen.

Yeah, when socioecologists posts and nobody replies the picture I get in my mind isn't tumbleweeds, its slack-jawed potheads who just saw something new for the first time and are so amazed that they don't know what to say. I don't think I understand his magic tricks well enough most of the time to ask a valid question, but I love reading about the results of the willy wonka act he is pulling off.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
ijust found thread , starting at page 1 . im in .3 or less state east coast and can use all the help i can get, have a thread i just started in the outdoor forum

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
any links to help me learn what cbg is and is good for? id like to get in early in the hihg cbg low thc game here,im really just a closet breeder lol i hang in the micro forum, but im in the outdoor forum now growing high cbd help flowers, im so excited to find this thread

VTphishphan

This is my favorite thread I have ever found! Thank you so much for the important work you are doing, I fully support your pioneering efforts! I sent you an email and I hope to hear back. Much love and keep killing it!

R

Robrites

A Flourishing Hemp Industry Is Growing in Colorado

A Flourishing Hemp Industry Is Growing in Colorado

There is one thing that sets this state apart from most of the others: an almost total disregard of federal law.

Colorado's industrial hemp industry continues to grow despite ongoing federal prohibition. The early successes in creating a viable hemp marketplace hinged on the state's willingness to ignore federal law, along with the actions of farmers and entrepreneurs who have taken advantage of the relaxed state legal structure.
The Centennial State legalized industrial hemp production for commercial purposes in 2012. This was before the federal government loosened laws to allow hemp cultivation within pilot programs for research purposes. At the time, the federal government maintained almost complete prohibition of the plant. People could legally grow hemp, but they had to get a permit from the FDA, a nearly impossible feat.

The Colorado law simply ignored the federal ban and set up a legal framework under which farmers could grow hemp anyway. By legalizing hemp, the state removed a layer of laws prohibiting hemp production. But it went even further by legitimizing the crop and creating a legal structure to facilitate the development of a viable market.

Legitimizing the Hemp Market

Colorado farmers walked right through the door opened by hemp legalization. And despite the threat of federal prosecution, they started growing hemp. Since then, the fledgling industry has grown at a steady pace, despite ongoing federal prohibition.
Farmers in southeastern Colorado began harvesting hemp in the fall of 2013 and the acreage devoted to the crop's cultivation has grown steadily since. By 2015, farmers were growing 3,600 acres outdoors along with 571,000 square feet of indoor production. The amount of acreage used to grow industrial hemp in the state increased in 2016 to nearly 5,000 acres and then nearly doubled in 2017.
According to the Telluride Daily Planet, to date 386 licensed growers produce industrial hemp in Colorado. There are 12,042 outdoor acres of hemp, along with 2.35 million square feet licensed for indoor cultivation.

Lots More

Hemp IS legal throughout the US, with the only caveat being it must be produced under a state program compliant with Sec. 7606 of the 2014 Farm Bill. The hoopla over the latest proposal is mostly due to ignorance by the media; McConnell and Wyden have to put forward this bill because the DEA, FDA, DOJ, etc. have all drug their feet despite all of the legal protections we currently enjoy.

VTphishphan

I know you mentioned the drying process being crazy. What is the best and most economical way you have found to create a space to dry?

I know you mentioned the drying process being crazy. What is the best and most economical way you have found to create a space to dry?

The answer is dependent on your final market and local ecology. If you sell trimmed flowers, you have to pay attention to quality and a slow, hang dry is the only way to go. If your market is full spectrum oil, you can be a little more aggressive in the moisture removal (hop dryer or something similar). If your buyer is turning it into isolate, flash drying is fine. Many farmers will build / rent infrastructure for all three. You can fit 1 acre of whole plants in 5k sq. ft.; a couple acres if stems are removed and only tops are hung, but you'll also need an army of people working around the clock to make that happen.

Your local conditions in Vermont play a critical role in how quickly you can dry as well. Clients of ours in central Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado are setting up massive (but simple) outdoor systems that take advantage of the low relative humidity and high winds to dry outside in the sun. With the right conditions, they can be ready for whole plant grinding in a couple days.

Our main farms are all in the Willamette valley and we are humid in September--very similar climate and weather pattern as yours. The one caveat is that the month of August is bone dry and hot--predictably so. The road signs proclaiming that we are the "grass seed capital of the world" dotted throughout the valley are accurate and made possible because of our special August. Farmers are able to field dry their seed and forego expensive infrastructure, which makes their seed much more economically competitive and fully automated in terms of labor / equipment.

We bred day neutral varieties (auto) to take advantage of this local feature. With a June planting, you can cut down an entire field in mid-August, field dry for a couple days, then pick up the whole lot with a combine and be done for the season. The only thing stopping us and other farmers from growing thousands of acres has been a reliable method of direct seeding. We are testing several experimental planters this season to finally find an answer to that problem.

VTphishphan

Incredible answer, thank you so much! I don't know if you received my email, but do you have anymore seed available for this year? I am blown away at what you guys are doing, keep killing it brotha!

When you say 5,000 square feet per acre, is that 6’ tall or however tall your plants are? So if you had 36’ tall ceilings in 5,000 sq.ft you could fit 6 acres?

R

Robrites

OLCC Temporarily Suspends Hemp Certificate Program

New Hemp Legislation Requires Additional Rulemaking
News Release PDF

News Highlights

• The OLCC will stop issuing hemp certificates to ODA hemp growers and handlers until after completing rulemaking to increase the entry and tracking of hemp products into the OLCC regulated marijuana system
  • Existing hemp certificate holders can continue to transfer specific hemp items to OLCC processors that have a hemp endorsement

• OLCC licensed marijuana processors can continue to apply for a hemp endorsement to add to their processor license
Portland, OR -- Today the Oregon Liquor Control Commission temporarily stopped issuing hemp processing certificates to Oregon Department of Agriculture registered hemp growers and hemp handlers. Oregon House Bill 4089, which took effect today, changes the way hemp items will enter the OLCC regulated marijuana system.

The temporary suspension is because HB 4089 requires the OLCC to create and implement new rules for regulating hemp. All applications received prior to today have been processed; if the application met the criteria, the OLCC issued a hemp certificate. Any future application received by the OLCC will be returned to the sender until the new rules are in place.​
ODA registered hemp growers and handlers that have already received an OLCC hemp certificate may still transfer raw hemp, hemp concentrates or hemp extracts to OLCC licensed processors that have a hemp endorsement. OLCC licensed marijuana processors can continue to apply for a hemp endorsement to add to their processor license.

Some of the changes as a result of HB 4089 that will be discussed in rulemaking include:​

• The rules and process for ODA registered hemp growers and handlers, with an OLCC hemp certificate, to transfer hemp, hemp commodities and/or hemp products to OLCC licensed processors, wholesalers and retailers.

• All ODA registrants with an OLCC hemp certificate, including current certificate holders, will receive information on their requirement to register for a Cannabis Tracking System (CTS) account.
  • The rules and process for an OLCC hemp certificate holder, prior to the transfer of a hemp item, entering the hemp item into CTS and ensuring that appropriate tests are performed. Only hemp items being transferred into the OLCC system will be entered into CTS.
The Commission will begin rulemaking to implement HB 4089 in the near future. Once rulemaking is completed the OLCC will begin approving hemp certificates according to the new law and new rules.

R

Robrites

Senator Wyden Introduces Bipartisan Bill to Legalize Industrial Hemp

Senator Wyden Introduces Bipartisan Bill to Legalize Industrial Hemp

Senator Ron Wyden Introduces Bipartisan Bill to Legalize Industrial Hemp - YouTube

[youtubeif]pdj8Djk0fmw[/youtubeif]

The McConnell-Wyden bill is an excellent restatement of existing law, made so clear that even the DEA may need to follow it. It was immediately fast-tracked via rule suspension, which means that McConnell is flexing his influence to push this through. The full text was introduced on Monday and I would encourage folks who are interested to read it.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2667/text/pcs?overview=closed&format=xml

The major question many of us had was how this would roll out if passed. Language in the current bill provides 1 year of transition time using the existing provisions of Sec. 7606 of the 2014 Farm Bill, but requires that individual states / Tribal land submit their "hemp management plans" to the USDA for approval during the transition. This should lead to more uniform rules from state to state.

Definitely an exciting time in the history of cannabis. I'm sitting down with OSU's College of Ag Dean and hemp research program director on Thursday to offer research funding for some specific projects that we are working on to push hemp breeding firmly into the 21st century. I don't expect it to be too fruitful, but what do I know in a constantly changing world?

Planting season is getting near and let me tell you....there will be more cannabis grown in the US this year than ever before, and most of it will be non-psychoactive and destined for nutritional supplements. Very cool time to be alive!

Betterhaff

Veteran
Definitely an exciting time in the history of cannabis. I'm sitting down with OSU's College of Ag Dean and hemp research program director on Thursday to offer research funding for some specific projects that we are working on to push hemp breeding firmly into the 21st century. I don't expect it to be too fruitful, but what do I know in a constantly changing world?
The good point being you are able to sit down with them and talk. Wouldn’t have happened 10 years ago.

oldchuck

Veteran
You all ought to read the Vermont hemp statute. Basically, no regulations. I love it but... it seems inevitable the great bureaucratic gods of the modern world will force us into conformity with regulatory complexity such as it is in places like Oregon and Washington. Right now hemp is booming in our little state and everybody is invited.

You all ought to read the Vermont hemp statute. Basically, no regulations. I love it but... it seems inevitable the great bureaucratic gods of the modern world will force us into conformity with regulatory complexity such as it is in places like Oregon and Washington. Right now hemp is booming in our little state and everybody is invited.

Vermont is good, especially if you don't want your product tested by the state. Tennessee only measures Delta-9 THC (THCa doesn't count against you...). West Virginia allows up to 1% THC. South Carolina allows 1% in the field as well, so long as the finished products are brought back below 0.3%. Oregon and Colorado give farmers a 28 day window between testing and the start of harvest. New York, Maine, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are new enough that their state department's of ag are asking farmers how the crop should be tested. Nevada MAY inspect a farmer's field to assess compliance, but we haven't heard of many being inspected. Kentucky imposes a 14 day testing-to-harvest deadline, but the sampling protocol is overseen by a network of old tobacco farmers turned state extension agents who are friendly with the large producers.

Basically, hemp in the US is a patchwork of ever changing state laws, supported by the Farm Bill's original language and updated each year with new protections via the omnibus federal budget bill. There are only a handful of states that I specifically warn farmers to stay away from (PA, CA, WA) if cannabinoid production is the goal.

New states come online each week (Alaska, Missouri, Rhode Island, etc.). That's nothing to say of the international scene (which is where most of the established companies in this sector are focusing their energy). The growth is literally insane and I'd say seems unsustainable, but the demand for the final products (CBD, CBG, CBC, CBN, etc.) just keeps increasing regardless of how much material farmers can produce.

In our neck of the woods, the springtime planting rush has me floored with the acreage that our clients alone will be farming this year. We're hitting our busiest season for seed sales and have already shipped 3000 acres worth of cannabis seed. How's that for living the dream? Not too often a person has the opportunity to work with others to transform an entire agricultural sector within 5 years.

ion

i posted this in the legalization thread thats up and running, what y'all think?

new drug war example;

ive been offered a gig as a consultant on a hemp/cdb grow, i know nothing about the current state of hemp so i start my research. this is basically growing female plants like you would for buds, large with high quality right? i figure i can do that with the right genetic.

during my research i come across an article about GW pharma and their new epilepsy drug based on cbd thats nearing fda approval. if/when that approval goes through, and there's no opposition to it, cbd will de classified as a drug and yer gonna need to shell out a five-digit buy-in$$ to get your cbd project pushed thru the anals of the fda. in other words, you cant market your cbd product, even if cbd is legal federally, as a supplement or homeopathic or anything because it has been classified as a drug by the fda.

i may be off on my assessment, but i think it's on. all available online.

hot and cold wars are the extreme wings of the always existent economical war that is full-on right under the surface.

i posted this in the legalization thread thats up and running, what y'all think?

new drug war example;

ive been offered a gig as a consultant on a hemp/cdb grow, i know nothing about the current state of hemp so i start my research. this is basically growing female plants like you would for buds, large with high quality right? i figure i can do that with the right genetic.

during my research i come across an article about GW pharma and their new epilepsy drug based on cbd thats nearing fda approval. if/when that approval goes through, and there's no opposition to it, cbd will de classified as a drug and yer gonna need to shell out a five-digit buy-in$$ to get your cbd project pushed thru the anals of the fda. in other words, you cant market your cbd product, even if cbd is legal federally, as a supplement or homeopathic or anything because it has been classified as a drug by the fda.

i may be off on my assessment, but i think it's on. all available online.

hot and cold wars are the extreme wings of the always existent economical war that is full-on right under the surface.

Cannabidiol (CBD) is NOT listed in the Controlled Substances Act. The only cannabis-derived compound that is controlled in the US is THC and cannabis plants containing more than 0.3% THC (i.e. "marijuana"). When GW's "Epidiolex" receives approval in June, it will be added to the CSA as, most likely, a Schedule IV compound. NOTE: this does NOT mean CBD will be scheduled, but "Epidiolex" will be. This is similar to how "Marinol" is Schedule III while THC remains Schedule I.

Don't think for a second that CBD or CBG or CBC or CBN etc etc. will become scheduled substances. Now that the big hemp companies have some semblance of legitimacy and a couple years of profitable operations under their belts, there are too many legislators receiving campaign contributions and active lobbying efforts to schedule these non-psychoactive compounds--doing so would destroy the entire hemp industry in the US.

McConnell and Wyden are touting their hemp bill as a way forward for wayward tobacco farmers suffering from reduced demand for their commodity. Note that nicotine is also NOT a scheduled substance in the CSA. See how that works?

Latest posts

Latest posts