What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow box

Athos

I'm used to grow outdoors, but since I moved to a different location this year, I won't be able to anymore, the weather just won't allow it.

So I decided to put together a grow box out of plywood (H 3.2 x W 1.9 x D 1.2) I was going to make the box shorter, but I decided to go for a decent filter instead of a DIY and rised the height 6 inches to make room for the filter.

Throughout the year the average temperature is rather cold around 50°F most of the year except for 2 months of summer when it rises to 68°F and in winter it gets as low as 32°F.

As for Lights I'm going to use 60 watts of screw leds (6 * 10 watts).

First and foremost I need it to be inconspicuous, I have people coming to the house every other day, so a tent is out of the question.

Here are some pictures of the new grow box.
Here is the grow box and looking just like any other piece of furniture.
picture.php

The fan, filter and lights
picture.php

I hanged the filter (I'm using the Can filter 705) using zip ties
picture.php

I tried light proofing with weatherstrips, but it wasn't enough, I could still see quite a bit of light, so I used regular black garbage bags (Don't remember where I read about using these, but they worked like a charm)
picture.php

As for the exhaust fan, since the temps are so low I don't need that much CFM power to maintain temperatures, actually the challenge is to keep them high enough, I decided to go with a Noctua A6 FLX, which undervolts like a champ coupled with a variable voltage wall adapter; that way I can use it with as low voltage as 4.5V which kept the temperature last night at 77°F with an ambient temperature of 34°F.

I'm in the process of germinating a couple of seeds, will update when they sprout.

Athos

I got some feminized Colombian Gold seeds from World of Seeds; I germinated 2 of them and kept them 3 to 4 inches from the lights.

Here you can see everything working.

And here's a picture at day 7 since they broke soil.

Athos

Today it'1 day 10 of seedling stage and it seems it's time to pot upfrom their initial 2 oz pot to 16 oz cup.

This is how the roots looked like

Maybe I could have waited a couple of extra days, but I noticed a very slight yellowing in the first set of leaves

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
very nice set up,mate
throw a lamp on top and no one would ever give the box a second look
is there any noise when the fan is running?
everything looks very nice and well done
i hope you are happy with your results so far and you grow some of the best weed you have ever had!

Athos

Only at night when the light is on there is a slight noise from the fan when it's functioning at 12V, but I think it's because I know it's there. I've has guests sleeping in that room and they we're completely oblivious to it.

At any other setting: 9, 7, 6 or 4.5 volts, depending on the ambient temperatures the fan is completely silent.

Hen

Nice box. I recommend you get some of that mylar reflective sheeting (diamond pressed, for example) from the grow shop for the walls. It's easy to put on with a craft staple gun for example. If it's hard to find, you can use the deflectors people use for their cars. You can find them in a lot of places and it's what I currently use.

Athos

Thanks for your suggestion, for simplicity's sake I used flat white paint, which is almost as good, but way easier to keep clean and cheaper.

Mr Pyr0

Looks great, subbing along, I've just built my first micro grow cab, it's around the same size as yours, but only 28" tall, so very interested to see how this one goes.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
I could see putting a small aquarium on that.
:lurk:

thats so funny you mentioned that reiko!
one of the first indoor grows i ever did was a small cabinet with a four hundred watt bulb in it
i also put an aquarium on top
the pump noise covered the sound of fan and the hydro set up i was running
once someone even pointed out a "funny smell" in the house
i told them it was the fish tank and how i probably just needed to change the water

plus fish are cool to look at while you are high

Athos

It's been two days since the transplant. The seedlings look kinda droopy still but I can see new growth at the very least.

Here are the before / after pictures of both of them. What do you guys think?

Athos

Well today is day 14 and the seedlings have now completed their 2nd week of life, they recovered real quick (2 or 3 days).

I'm amazed at how quick this things grow indoors compared to outdoors, both plants are working in their 4th pair of true leaves.

Both plants are just over 1 inch tall, and have all the leaves right on top of each other.

Here is how they look

Athos

Day 19 today and for a couple of days one of the seedlings have been showing signs of stress (leaves canoeing up), so I decided to transplant again from their current 16 oz cup to half gallon pots.

Here you can see the roots of the stressed plants

And the other one

Athos

It's update day. Today the plants are 21 weeks old and quite a few thing happened this week.

For the whole week the plants have showed a noticeable smell and this is the first time this has happened to me in the seedling stage, so the strain promises to be quite pungent.

Also, both plants have very developed sideshots growing at every node, I read somewhere that this is a side effect of rootbound plants. Although it's an unintended consequence, I'm glad of it because it'll help with keeping the plant short and an even canopy.

I topped both plants, removing the 5th set of leaves, I believe I might have fimmed one of them by accident.

Here are both of them

This one has a 4th set of leaves that came not as a pair, but as a trio.

And here is the other one.

Athos

Another exciting week, it is day 28 since breaking soil. The plants finally dropped the cotyledons 4 days ago, so we are officially out of seedling stage and entering full vegetative stage.
Both plants have bushed out a lot, while keeping a very low height (8 cm, so just a little over 3 inches), maybe it was the early topping
I did 2 weeks ago or the relative close temperature between the lights on / off periods. Just yesterday I did some minor LST to expose some of the lower shots. I think both plants might be showing preflowers but it is so dense that I’m not really sure.

I think I will veg for another 2 weeks to fill the canopy and then switch to 12/12. Both plants have been 10 days in the 2 liter pots; I plan to transplant again in 5 or 7 more days, making it the end of week 5 and put them in their final pot of 6 liters for its final week of veg.

Last but not least, picture time; I’ll include the 21 day and 28 day pictures so you can compare how much both plants have filled out.

This plant had some leaves curling up in a taco effect today when the lights came on, I believe it might need some water.

And here is the other one

Athos

Last time the curling up happened was due the plant been kinda rootbound and it went away as soon as I transplanted. The question is, Should I transplant from the current 2 liter into 6 liter pots now and switch to flower or wait 1 week before switching?