What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Farmington - Frost, Past Frost, Light, Flowering, Questions

Viral505

I've noticed that the last 3 years here the frost is slowly moving its way further into November.

I'm gonna try to do the Amherst Sour Diesel outdoors this year, with one Mendocino Purple Kush. ASD has a flowering time of 9-10 weeks, hopefully I'm not pushing the limit here, I was told by a couple people here to keep it at 9 weeks maximum.. I figure screw it, lets try it anyway. The MPK has a 8-9 week flower, so hopefully I can push it till it just ambers a little bit, and it'll be turning purple by then.. hopefully by the end of October??

I don't really know when the plants will be technically full flower, and this has been driving me crazy. I assume there is less sun in areas than what this website says. I've just been going off of it.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/farmington

But it says that we barely hit around a 12/12 cycle by the end of September. I guess I don't truly understand that.. because we would technically only have six weeks to flower if that was completely true. So I'm assuming, that it is only a certain amount of light that will trigger the plants. So here I'll assume that twilight and nautical
twilight, will not trigger a plant, but that maybe civil twilight will? (so then they aren't full flower until the middle of October, and I know that is not true, because we obviously harvested four 8 week flowering plants) So then, if a plant is placed on the East side of a wall that blocks the rising sun, this could potentially put her in flower slightly earlier than plants that were placed in "direct sun" all day, from rise to set. This shit has me so confused. I guess I'll just stick with harvest in "Croptober", but I want to "harvest a plant when that plant is done". I'm hoping someone will have some more insight on this.

Why not place all plants so they get either that morning shade or afternoon shade? Wouldn't this send the plants into flower a little sooner? Since our frost is earlier than most of New Mexico's, we cannot grow plants that have a 10 week or longer flowering cycle, from what I have been told. Hopefully this year the frost will stay in November.

I have a theory, that frost will keep moving further into November, with how the north arctic keeps pushing ice to the south antarctic over the recent years. Maybe I'm high, and maybe that has nothing to do with how hot or cold it gets in-land.. I'm not an astrologist or a biologist..

..but I do know that it has been staying warmer longer the last three years specifically, and increasing by the year. I wanna grow some original sativa land-race's outside here. Maybe one day my wish will come true?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not place all plants so they get either that morning shade or afternoon shade? Wouldn't this send the plants into flower a little sooner?

No, seeds are set up genetically. Do your research. Choose the earlier finishing strains or choose autoflowers with ability to have several harvests from May into late October. Unless you have a greenhouse, pushing plants into November can problematic.

You want optimum sun, so have them on S. side. Shaded by trees will only decrease possible yield.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I, too, have noticed the shift in weather patterns in our area over the last few seasons. I'm near Cortez.
I had my Sour Diesel x C99 outside in the soil until the first week of November last season.

Most cannabis plants grown outside begin floweing around 14/10, ime. I've only had a couple equatorial dominated varieties that would not start soon enough od to use.

Most cannabis plants are fairly hardt a well & can survive temps as low as 28°F. As a matter of fact, I also suffered some frost bite on a couple of plants due to them being exposed to 23°F & windy conditions. Just a couple spots. These plants can take the cold pretty well, ime.

Planting on the east/west side of a wall will indeed bring the harvest date in when compared to a full days sun exposure. You can push the harvest date in by more than a week using methods such as this. If you've got a greenhouse you can light deprive it & harvest on your schedule.

I say put those plants outside & watch 'em get frosty then let em experience the frost a time or two (if they come) previous to harvesting. Let em color up if they will. Play around & harvest just previous to (as in the night of or before) a killing frost.

Also, to protect your plants on an exceptionally cold night before your ready to harvest, water well with warm water to keeps the roots warm as well as create a warmer micro climate around your plants.

12/12 is an indoor thing related to growing commercial crops. Some folks prefer longer or shorter daylengths for their personal grows. Some folk mimic the natural day cycle by constantly adjusting the timing.

Plants go full flower on their own schedule. There's no set dates since there aren't any breeders breeding for specific outdoor harvest times. If you want to grow landrace genetics you probably wont be growing equatorial varieties but rather stuff like Pakistan Chitral Kush which grown under conditions similar to ours. Unless you have a greenhouse. Then you can pretty much grow what you want.

DenverJim

Well I have grown some late flowering strains in Denver. Neville Skunk, super Hz a Kali mist pheno, hash plant hz dna. I will say weathered in Oct plays a part. 14 was a good year. 15 Silver Mtn finished late Oct but yield was poor to cold. 16 I had 5 afg 1 ( a useless plant) Harv 1 late oct the last one late nov after a couple of snows temps 14 degrees killed the fans and made the buds rank. The temps were in the 50’s and sunny during the day. Last year we had rain snow in late sept - oct stayed cool for 3 days no sun. Some plants just dried up. Made some tasty hash. If there is snow on the ground and plants it acts as an insulater. They don’t like cold rain. I have seeds that just came up outside since late Feb. seeds were growing out late in Nov. pulled a couple they were staminate as expected but are they true male one was covered in resin. It made seeds. I tried cannabogins Nepal 2 plants huge a few flowers buy late oct then the wind came and destroyed them. Some plants seem to flower as soon as the days stop getting longer. I still have a Jaruba that looked Jamaican but it was dropping seeds ~4 weeks from pollination. This is the earliest I have ever harvested. The more I learn the more I know I don’t know.