What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 lb of moldy bud HELP!

hamstring

Veteran
Hello All
I did a search on mold on this site. Read 85% of the posts. There seems to be no definitive answer.

Can you make Hash from moldy weed?

It has been a very wet outdoor season and I have around a 1 LB of moldy bud not including trim. Some of the bud is quite moldy and I do not want to get myself or others sick.

Please chime in with your experiences. I hate to waste all that bud!! Help a brother out with some answers and experiences.

T

THCV

yes you can. bubble hash. with enough filters, you'll get the trichs separated from everything else, including the mold (which i believe is water soluble and will just end up in the water). 1 LB? You'll get 10-15 grams, i would guess, or even more if they are mature buds. I have done this before and the hash was fine.

hamstring

Veteran
THCV
You just made my day. Thanks for the info. I just need to purchase the bubble bags. Any suggestions? :woohoo: :woohoo:

T

THCV

get a bubbleator from greenharvest.ca. get the extra bag too (3 bag set). easy, breezy, beautiful. upgrade to more bags if you want to in the future (160u or 190u would be the first beyond the 3-pack that i would recommend.) dead easy. and greenharvest was super discreet in the shipping.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I "think" you can make BHO from moldy bud as well. Well, I have made BHO from moldy bud, and it turned out fine, from what I can tell.

Someone with more experience than I will probably chime in shortly...

acidfire

Im not sure if you would want to use one of those washing machines for the moldy bud since its automated.

What I would do is use a cake mixer, wait a few minutes.
Since the mold is lighter than water, you will be able to scoop it off the top.
Remove as much as possible, then mix again.
Again, scoop off as much as possible, etc.

I would do this atleast 5 times until your sure there is no mold left.

Once you have removed the mold, continue the run as usual, and enjoy your salvaged hash! :joint:

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Yes its fine

TF... Great advice... hows things up high in the cheese hut?

Peace

hamstring

Veteran
Thanks guys
I will invest in bubblebags shortly but have to take care of some other problems first. It is just great to be able to ask these questions and get some real good advice.

Peace and I wish everyone a good grow.

C

Chamba

keep the plant material frozen until processing

separate the good buds from the moldy ones...and then throw away the very badly molded (mushy) bud.

and for the first time at making ice hash most growers use ghetto methods, they enjoy it ...but they soon realize how much better, cleaner quality, more precise and easier it would be with some proper Bubblebags ....so then buy a set.....

Here's a I]ghetto style[/I] method for ice hashing....you can ice hash with just a few simple household items.........

get yourself a large piece of insect wire mesh (used for windows) or similar mesh (big enough to be able to cover the inside of the bucket and have 12 inches overhang),

a kitchen metal mesh sifter or seive and an old fine cotton bed sheet or pillow case.....

place the insect mesh in a 5 gal bucket, (depending on the type of mesh you use, you may need to weigh down the mesh on the bottom of the bucket and also rope the overhanging mesh to the outside of the rim of the bucket)

half ~ 3/4 fill the bucket with ice and freezing water, put the frozen loosely crumbled up herb in the water and stir with a stick for 15 minutes (gently or vigorously, for 5 ~ 25 minutes or use a heavy duty drill with a paint mixing attachment on slow speed or use a kitchen mixer for a smaller bucket).

...make sure to be real careful with wet floors while using electric power! ....I'm a stoner and I use a the stick method for ice hashing! safety first!

add more ice when needed while stirring and then let the bucket sit for 45 mins so the trics fall and the plant matter is suspended or floating...you can also tap the rim of the bucket with the stick a few times to help the trics drop

and then after 45 mins or so lift up the insect mesh, let it drain then place this ice and plant material in another bucket (add more cold water, ice and re-process the material)...

then pour this resin water through 100 ~ 145 Lines Per Inch mesh (or approx. 160 ~ 130 micron mesh) ...if you don't have that size mesh available use a kitchen sieve.....if you just have a loose piece of 100 mesh then place this ontop of a kitchen sieve and then pour the water through the mesh this way

some Asian stores sell low wide metal strainers used for frying that have a fine mesh (with holes large enough so all the trichomes to pass through, but fine enough so most of the plant matter is caught) these are ideal..but any strainer with a fairly fine mesh will do.....

if you can still just barely see the holes of the mesh then the strainer is suitable..if the mesh holes cannot be seen with the naked eye then this mesh might be too fine (or it might be ideal?....use a photographer's loupe and count the holes along a 1/4 inch then multiply x 4 to get the mesh's lines per inch count)

now strain the water through the kitchen seive twice

then pour the water, a gallon or two at a time, through the fine cotton sheet draped over and into a bucket or sink ..let the solution drain and then lift up the sheet, place the bottom of the sheet on a dry towel so the moisture is sucked out of the wet hash and then scrape off the resin with a blade.

of course make sure to test a small amount first to make sure your 3 levels of filtration are correct enough to use .....make sure the catching sheet is fine enough to trap 95% of the resin heads...you'll need a 20X or 30X magnifying glass for this job..or let the water settle overnight and then inspect the sediment for any trichomes (resin heads)

the ice hash from this method will have lots more contaminants and will yield less than the Bubble Bags but will still be a great smoke!....if you use the above method with reasonable quality fresh frozen material, lots of ice, a gentle stir with a stick, then the first run will produce sticky hash that will be 4 times better, stronger and cleaner than 95% of commercial hash out there.....the second run will yield another 15% ~ 30% more but will not be as sticky ( if this second run stuff crumbles easily when dried then that's nature's way of telling you to stir less, use more ice and or use better quality starting material

use a magnifying glass to inspect your trichomes close up ...before, several times during and after processing to help improve your technique and fine tune your timing ( iow what's the point to keep in stirring if almost all of the trics have been snapped off the plant and are floating in solution?..quality comes with correct timing and experience)....often the difference between producing excellent sticky putty ..or green, crumbly crap is a just a few minor adjustments to your technique and timing...each time you will improve, read up on BM's instructions and other Bubble hash posts here!

check out Bubblemans web page for a detailed pictorial instructions on how to Bubble Bag it

http://www.bubblebag.com/instructions/

it's nice with ice!

Happy Hashing

Last edited:

tainted

cook it..post hash extraction..see above^^^

much safer...its prob namely botrytis rot...

water filt will intuitively not remove it all...but will reduce the load

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
when the bud is moldy, the best thing to do is throw it away. you don't want to make yourself or your friends sick. anyone with a allergy against mold could be in trouble smoking mold spores. if there are any clean buds save them by all means but you should be safe and ruthlessly cut out the moldy bits and throw them away.

thats my opinion anyway, making bubble will not get rid of the mold spores 100% and thats what you want really, hash without any mold spores. maybe ethanol or alcohol would kill the mild spores. so maybe make bubble and turn the bubble into oil, but thats just a guess, don't know if that kind of solvent would kill all the mold spores. interesting subject in a way, but i still say better safe then sorry, throw them away. keep only the mold free parts of the buds.

peace out

PrinceOfPersia

Good readings. But i got over 15 kg's of buds that is molding. Im planning to run all of it in bubblebags. Wouldnt u think its a waste throwing it away?

zamalito

Veteran
I'm not saying my method is better than what other people would do but here's what I'd do. Also as someone said before there will still be mold spores no matter what you do. But this is true with most outdoor grown herb. Suprise, bud isn't sterile. Though I would not give this to anyone who has imune system problems all should be fine if the hash is rinsed thoroughly. Another concern is mold damages the gland heads causing a higher level of degradation of the thc into cbn making the high more sedative and less potent. If well made it should still be good and may actually have a high more closely resembling the fine imported hashish of yesteryear.

First off you can save money by buying bulk silkscreen instead of bubblebags. The screens aren't as durable as bubblebags but cost 1/20th as much. You can get it online from silk printing suppliers or at a local art supplies store especially if you live near a college campus with an art school. Buy a range of screens with the coursest being 200-225 micron and the finest between 25 and 45 micron. The finer screens cost more but fortunately the only one that risks damage from stems and you need a larger piece of is the course screen.

Thoroughly dry the herb and put it in the freezer. On a day when your house is cool and dry take the course screen cut a piece about 2 feet square and place 1-2 oz with large stems removed in the center of the cloth. Put all of the edges of the cloth in your hand so it makes a bag hanging from your fist and shake gently over a clean dust free surface large enough for all of the resin powder to fall. As the resin leaves the bag the quality will lessen so scrape up the resin powder frequently. If the material is good the very first resin powder (with an oz it may only be an eighth to quarter gram so don't shake for too long without scraping it up) will be dry sieve full melt clear dome. Remember the more gentle you shake the slower it goes but the more potent the hash will be. Every now and then open up the bag and gently break apart the flowers a little more each time.

The next thing is you want to get some 3" pvc couplings with male on one side and female on the other. Stack the fittings with a different screen in between each one. The coursest being on top. Use the same size screen you did the original sieving with as your coursest screen this will romove irregular shaped pieces from your largest resin glands like dried pistils which may pass thru the screen when they fall one way but not another.

Before continuing you can wet the resin powder thoroughly a put it in a glass of cold water to remove any material that floats (save the floating material for oil) but you don't have to.

Place the resin powder on your new sieve stack made from the pvc fittings and run a smal stream of cold tap water into the hash wtting it thoroughly and carrying the resin glands to their apropriately sized screen. Rinse the hash thoroughly.

Another advantage of dry sieving is that since even the most thorough sieving can only really remove about 50% of the thc an since dry sieving doesn't destroy the material that doesn't pass through the screen you can make oil out of the remaining material. However oil making can be dangerous and be extra extra careful following any methods you read.

Good luck.

G

yea that would be very wasteful to throw it away, imo

I ran moldy buds through bubble bags and everything was great.....I would hate to mislead you and find out you get sick from it but common sense tells me it would be great
I wold recommend you order the 5 Gallon kit or larger as I ordered the 1 Gallon kit and now wish I had shelled out the extra cash for the big bags....just more work with the little ones.