What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Green New Deal

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that's been talked about, it could be done
safety concerns about failed rocket launches have kept it a non starter
the simpler solution is the fast neutron reactors, they burn it
you end with radioactive waste with a much shorter half life
of course the fear extends to anything nuclear, even if it helps the existing nuclear waste problem

you beat me to it, word for word. thanks...:tiphat:

White Beard

Thanks for the Eno, brother - lovely...

I thought is was just massive costs and pollution all the way through the supply chain, in addition to the potential catastrophic outcomes.
Traditionally we have looked to Germany for insight a good deal more so than France.
Germany built out their solar platform years after France had decided to go with nukes.
I may be more accepting of the technology, had I seen any real progress on cleaning up any many superfund sites all over the country from the initial R&D done to develop the tech.

Don't think that I could ever really be comfortable with this kind of technology in the hands of
people with the levels of integrity I have seen in our politicians.

Another Green World
[youtubeif]oDqXVZCbnY8[/youtubeif]
I only diverge from you on the question of ‘integrity in politicians’, not that I have the best respect for them.

I find that focusing on politicians and their flaws obscures the rapacity of the corporate actors. The corporations - that is, the ones that impact our lives most severely - are largely indistinguishable from the private fortunes that are the majority shareholders of these companies, and who are on the boards of directors of these same corporations - issue their marching orders, just as they do for the politicians they have paid real money for.

These private-sector actors are only limited by statute and court action, hence their profound interest in packing courts with “agreeable” jurists, and in pushing their bought congresspeople to take the limits off of these fortunes and their corporations...which has inexorably led to the shrinking of individual liberty and the stacking of regulatory decks against the bulk of the public.

This is what gets lost when the tree-frog chorus starts up about politicians and their bottomless evil: when given the choice between leaving office wealthy and comfortable for life, or being destroyed, too many choose to switch their allegiance from the voters to the shadowy syndicate that holds the REAL carrot...and the REAL fist....

Always enjoy your contributions, musical and philosophical :tiphat:

White Beard

So, Republicans had 2 years and didn't fix it?
Yeah...just like GOP screams all through every dem administration about every problem they made worse while in power...then, back in power, they forget all that and go back to overdrawing the national credit.

They did it *constantly* for 8 years under Obama, as if he controlled Congress the whole time (Dems held congressional majority for about the first 3 weeks), they did it *constantly* for 8 years under Clinton; they’ll do it again if we’re ever blind foolish enough to put them back in the seat after the current wreckage...

But an insanely deranged bad actor in the White House, a packed SCOTUS and a supine Congress - ALL GOP loyalists? THAT is a hard row to hoe, dammit, they’re working on it. Give ‘em time, they’ll bring down the entire edifice once they get all the charges placed....

Let's not live in the past.
Good deal, I’ll agree to that: that means no more Clinton derangement, no more Obama derangement, no more Hillary derangement.

Both parties have had power many Times, during our history. Both failed to do anything to stem the corruption.

So, because one party failed to reign in corruption, we should do nothing about it now. Kinda sounds stupid to me.
The only GOP ‘effort’ to “reign in corruption” is term limits, whose sole good would be to remove the longest-serve members...who just happen to be Dems; we never heard a word in support of it from GOP when Jesse Helms, Strom Thurman, and their ancient ilk still stalked Capitol Hill.

Now, they have new ranks of freshly-brainwashed true believers from gerrymanders all across the nation, so yeah, time to get rid of those old Dems one way or another

I am willing to consider the free college, as long as you spend a few years serving the public in exchange. Also, if you fail to complete your education, you get to pay for it. Why allow people to waste public resources.
Surprisingly progressive of you, Pack: you might be interested in work I’ve been doing on a National Service that would address much of the bullshit we keep talking about. I *do* disagree with you on the “payback” for this reason: an educated citizenry is the nation’s one real hope of good governance, so if for *any reason* they find that higher education is in the way of their dreams, they and their communities can *only* benefit from whatever education they have had, so it’s still a plus for the nation, as the Founders originally recognized. The lack of their contribution to keeping education going wouldn’t eliminate classes, lower the level of instruction, or disrupt the education of others.

Medicare for all is ok also as long as I have the choice to opt out of it, and the Taxes that go with it. Especially considering most doctors will no longer accept Medicare patients. Of course, with the elimination of Private insurance, and the compulsion of fascistic politicians Drs. Won't have a choice.
Sounds like you want Medicare to be like Brexit: all the advantages for membership, no obligation. Oh, and the only people talking about elimination of private insurance are the insurance companies and the yammerheads they hire to rail against Medicare.

Their you go. You got me to agree to the handouts as long as I retain my freedom of choice.
So...all the rights of a citizen without the obligations and duties that citizenship requires?
I mean, laws against murder are fine, as long as you can keep your freedom of choice in the matter?

Pleasant chatting with you, but I have to get to work.

Last edited:

Cannavore

Veteran
If said lifelong politician has stayed on top of their game their entire career and voted in the interests of those who elected him/her I don't see why you're so hell bent on term limits.

We wouldnt need to talk about term limits if we had clean elections.

packerfan79

Veteran
Nice job of not paying attention...thank the Gods you’re not the only one reading all this - not everyone forgets what they read as fast as they read it

I read what you write. Generally disagree with most of it. Obviously. I find it quite honest of you to admit that you don't want term limits because it would hurt the Democratic party.

@ Cannavore, term limits, and eliminating lobbyists is my issue. Like universal health care is your issue. I don't want rulers, I want politicians to actually serve the people. It shouldn't be a get rich quick scam. To me their is no legitimate reason why a congressman or Senator should serve for decades. We have them limits for president, why not for Congress.

Mick

Veteran
I would start with nuclear. I personally stopped growing in the summer, not worth it with the ac usage, and co2 usage. I would be advocating for dual stage evaporative coolers, instead of ac. I would allow and encourage people to live off the grid, most states require you to be connected to the electrical grid. I would encourage people to collect rain water, not penalize it. Their are many other things that can actually help, without trillions in deficit spending.

I sure wouldn't be demanding Medicare for all which has nothing to do with pollution or co2. I would leave out the federal job and housing guarantee. Definitely would pass on the 60 % income tax to pay for all the federal handouts.

How do these handout do anything to combat climate change?

These are the things that make me and most conservatives to dismiss far left environmentalists crazy ideas, ideas that have nothing to do with climate change.

Imo, we'd be beyond dumb to listen to any conservative solutions to climate change, as you obstructionists and deniers have gone out of you way to vilify and criticise the people and science trying to warn us. We better put our faith in the people who have been warning this would happen for decades, or any chance we have to turn this around is fucked. All the suffering being caused now and into the future is on you guys. Regarding warming, I reckon ole Beelzebub will have the last laugh, so better dress light my friend, 'cause I hear the summers down there can get hot and dry :biggrin:

White Beard

I read what you write. Generally disagree with most of it. Obviously. I find it quite honest of you to admit that you don't want term limits because it would hurt the Democratic party.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt: not reading them would account for your lack of comprehension.

Now that I think about it, I remember back when GOP were cutting their base off from the rest of the country. “Don’t believe those lying liberals, everything they say is a lie! In fact, don’t even LISTEN to them at all - WE know their secret code, WE will tell you what they *mean*”

You probably don’t remember, it was back in the late ‘80s, early ‘90s, but based on the results you’re getting with your seekrit decoder ring, you’ve been raised with the idea that everything “liberals” say means something other than the plain words they use.

It would explain the hash y’all keep making out of every conversation you ‘participate’ in. It would explain why people think y’all’re raving loonies. Too bad you don’t realize all that stream-of-consciousness ‘conservative-speak’ is exactly the kind of code they “warned” you about.

Propaganda as a crypto-revolutionary social engineering project. Goddam scary.

Lester Moore

Veteran
Imo, we'd be beyond dumb to listen to any conservative solutions to climate change, as you obstructionists and deniers have gone out of you way to vilify and criticise the people and science trying to warn us. We better put our faith in the people who have been warning this would happen for decades, or any chance we have to turn this around is fucked. All the suffering being caused now and into the future is on you guys. Regarding warming, I reckon ole Beelzebub will have the last laugh, so better dress light my friend, 'cause I hear the summers down there can get hot and dry :biggrin:
What about the people who are not conservatives that see the billshit propaganda of climate change? And if scientists have been warning us for decades, just how many decades are you speaking of??

Mick

Veteran
What about the people who are not conservatives that see the billshit propaganda of climate change? And if scientists have been warning us for decades, just how many decades are you speaking of??
American presidents were warned about the dangers of climate change way back in the sixties. That would make about 5 going on 6 decades. Check out the vid. My friends and I have been discussing it for at least 3 decades. Google is your friend.
https://weather.com/science/environ...-been-warned-about-climate-change-for-decades

Lester Moore

Veteran
American presidents were warned about the dangers of climate change way back in the sixties. That would make about 5 going on 6 decades. Check out the vid. My friends and I have been discussing it for at least 3 decades. Google is your friend.
https://weather.com/science/environ...-been-warned-about-climate-change-for-decades
Google is NOT my friend...and it shouldn’t be your friend either...
It’s unfortunate that people look to google for the “facts”....So sad...
We had an ice age threat the scientists Predicted..google it...oh wait, google now says it was a hoax....lol, it was published so you can go outside corrupt google lords of knowledge and find it...just for fun...let’s say it was the 60’s that scientist claimed man made global warming....so in 5 billion years of earths existence... humans can change the climate in 134 years since the very first first automobile? And there were not many people driving them then....so maybe 80 years ...Really? Maybe if we all start running in the opposite direction of the earths rotation we could Change that too....it’s so funny that in the 60’s they said question authority, now they say don’t question it, it’s fact! Shut up or your a denier! Funny how power corrupts...

Mick

Veteran
Google is NOT my friend...and it shouldn’t be your friend either...
Mate, I have so few friends already, and if you take away google I'll be all on my lonesome.
I hear what you're saying and I get the exact same argument from a Trump supporter mate. Only source he believes is Trump, but unfortunately Trump's a liar. You have to get your info from somewhere, so where are you getting yours?. Separating the wheat from the chaff on Google isn't too hard.
Climate change is real and I'm not going to waste my time debating it. I'm in Sth East Australia and my house is currently surrounded by bush fires. We get a fraction of the summer rain we used to only a few years ago. It's changing so fast it's frightening.

F

Frylock

Mate, I have so few friends already, and if you take away google I'll be all on my lonesome.
I hear what you're saying and I get the exact same argument from a Trump supporter mate. Only source he believes is Trump, but unfortunately Trump's a liar. You have to get your info from somewhere, so where are you getting yours?. Separating the wheat from the chaff on Google isn't too hard.
Climate change is real and I'm not going to waste my time debating it. I'm in Sth East Australia and my house is currently surrounded by bush fires. We get a fraction of the summer rain we used to only a few years ago. It's changing so fast it's frightening.

People are free to deny it, of course.... there will always be contrarians on every subject for the rest of time, but it reminds me of an old Yosemite Sam cartoon.... I think the contrarians will end up just like Sam, but so will the rest of us :frown:

Bugs Bunny throws a match into the ammunition room, Sam freaks out and retrieves it, Bugs does it again and Sam retrieves it again....
Sam says 'if you do that again i aint going after it', Bugs does it anyway :biglaugh:
Sam stands around tapping his toes, starts to sweat, plays yoyo then can't handle it anymore so runs into the room *KABOOM*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7gEQjCNPo

If there was only a slight chance that we were making the planet less habitable why wouldn't you want to try to do the right thing for future generations??

packerfan79

Veteran

In the 70s scientist were worried about global cooling. Their was even talk of using carbon to melt the polar ice caps. Science evolves. That's why the science is NOT settled.

packerfan79

Veteran

We vilify because the left refuses to separate the universal health care, Universal income, etc. A bunch of crap that will never pass so they use scare tactics. If stopping climate change is your goal, STOP using it as an excuse to take over half the economy. STOP using it as a tool. Address the problem directly.

If the left REALLY wants to address climate change, you need us. If this is the number one issue, maybe their are better ways than blaming everything on conservatives.

It's all about power. The left has had control of government many times, yet haven't done shit. It's about political power.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I guess you missed 60 Minutes last night. Deniers are being taken to the Supreme Court where scientific research and facts will prevail and trumpian climate deniers will have their ignorance proven.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/julian...ment-from-supporting-fossil-fuels-60-minutes/

The likelihood of national health care is looking very good after trump has shown us how fucked the republican party has become. The fake news and alternate facts will float away down the river.

We vilify because the left refuses to separate the universal health care, Universal income, etc. A bunch of crap that will never pass so they use scare tactics. If stopping climate change is your goal, STOP using it as an excuse to take over half the economy. STOP using it as a tool. Address the problem directly.

If the left REALLY wants to address climate change, you need us. If this is the number one issue, maybe their are better ways than blaming everything on conservatives.

It's all about power. The left has had control of government many times, yet haven't done shit. It's about political power.

Latest posts

Latest posts