What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Florashield, anyone use it? know whats in it?

doneit

Veteran
Like the title says...

Hoping some people here at IC are familiar with it and can tell me the pro's & con's of it.

Is it live bacteria? or a sterilizing agent?
Dosage per gallon is required to be effective?

Thanks all

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's not live bacteria because the MSDS lists it as being a chemical formulation. That being said, the ingredients are unknown because it is a "trade secret." Based on the fact that the label says not to use it in conjunction with their SubCulture products, I'll wager a guess that it is an enzymatic sterilizer, much like Hygrozyme. That also makes sense based on the marketing of this product, and what it is being used for, and how they say to use it. All of that suggests that it is an enzyme.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I tried to find out more about this product just out of my own curiosity....sounds like a propriety blend....of that nature....not really giving any 'trade secrets', but non-toxic....read the pdf on it. Pretty vague.

On other forums....mixed reviews. Most said a better product was out there.

One used it to clean rock wool from excess salts, similar to a flushing aid.

I stand corrected (ooops!)....Flora Shield....sounds like an over all good tonic for all stages of growth.

Flora Kleen...is the flushing product.

Last edited:

doneit

Veteran
Thanks for the input fellas.

So you guys think it is an enzyme based product?
I as well ran multiple searches with little information available.
The reason i am asking is because i heard from a local guy that he is having good results from it, however i need to know what it actually is before i drop the pennies.

Thanks for the input

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ I've never used it, but back when I did DWC/RDWC setups, I relied HEAVILY on Hygrozyme, which is an enzyme, which I think Florashield is. So, if it in fact is an enzyme, it doesn't surprise me at all that dude says he has good results from it.

They work by breaking down organic matter in the res, and in the media, and you pretty much can't overdose or anything like that, like you can with H2O2. I don't know about Florashield, but Hygrozyme is expensive as fuck. Was highly worth it though! I've never seen healthier, whiter roots in DWC!!!!

doneit

Veteran
After seeing the label and the cost to use this product with weekly res changes... I have decided that... Im no interested anymore! lol

Thanks fellas

purplypurps

It is a live bacteria that populates your reservoir. It is meant to be used as a preventative for root rot. It will not cure root rot but it does work really well as a preventative especially for well water that has a numerous amount of nasties in it. Well worth the money.

dabking

Its chitosan. It's anti fungal and bacterial. You can't leave it in your reservoir for more than 2 hours.

dabking

picture.php
picture.php