What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where to buy/get Finola seeds from?

Santalum

Gday OC, A question from a novice. knowing Finola is an autoflowering type, what would be the best way to extract the most growth out of that short vegetative phase?

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Gday OC, A question from a novice. If one was planning to do a sensimilla Finola grow, knowing Finola is an autoflowering type, what would be the best way to extract the most growth out of that short vegetative phase? Would you supplement light for 18-24 hours to allow the females the greatest ability to produce photosynthates in that period? Thanks in advance.
It's not truly 'autoflowering' but just very-very early.
Grow them under 24/7 even during flowering if you want, they don't stop growing during flo ;) . I managed to keep mine from flowering under 14/10 for about two months (then I switched the fertiliser) when using dangerously high amounts of nitrogen and too little phosphorous. The latter wasn't intentional and I still don't know why I had this issue. Anyway, low P isn't good as it also prevents growth which isn't that bad in the case of Finola (at least compared to fibre hemp varieties). Maybe keeping potassium low would be helpful too.

Santalum

Thanks OO. I have read that you cannot do clones of Finola females because of the speed of their growth. You have any comments about that? What about if you trimmed the primary and maybe even secondary growing points, could that help extend the vegetative phase?

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I tried topping Finola... didn't work out that well as it doesn't like branching out too much.
I'm currently running some hemp varieties indoors... it's not really advisable as the stretch is immense! Some shot up from 30 cm to over 1.2 m within less than two weeks and would have stretched even further if they hadn't hit the bulbs and burnt their tips. Due the absence of wind, their stalks are rather weak and having to put the lights high up is hampering the growth of the smaller ones. Maybe growing colosseum-style with several vertical T5 tubes interspersed would work out better?
Finola as a pretty small variety is quite easy and handy to grow, though!

oldchuck

Veteran
Gday OC, A question from a novice. If one was planning to do a sensimilla Finola grow, knowing Finola is an autoflowering type, what would be the best way to extract the most growth out of that short vegetative phase? Would you supplement light for 18-24 hours to allow the females the greatest ability to produce photosynthates in that period? Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your question with any kind of precision, Sant. I've only grown them out three or four times in the past year and am still using the original Finish seeds. I haven't strictly controlled the growing conditions but have varied them considerably; 12/12, 18/6, natural light on my window sill at different times, different sized pots. They tolerate it all pretty well. I suspect more light hours is the way to go and no need to cut back to 12/12. They don't like to be transplanted. Fertility needs seem modest. I use mostly compost tea.

The males show themselves within a month, more than a month before the females flower so culling them is easy. I've been harvesting about 90 days from seed start. The usual rules for dope growing don't apply but I don't know what works best.

Santalum

Doubt you'd need to back off the nutrients towards the end of the crop if CBD extraction is the goal?

Last edited:

Santalum

Yep thats what I'm thinking. Lots of lateral lighting. Confusing the plant in some respects but powering up the photosynthetic surface area to maximum.

oldchuck

Veteran
I never tried taking cuttings.

Why should more light produce more CBD?

Get some seeds, dude. I could probably learn stuff from you.

Santalum

Oil is the most energetically expensive compound to produce by a plant. Therefore a plant growing optimally has the ability to maximise conversion of light, water, nutrients, CO2 etc into photosynthates which are precursors to all the compounds plants produce. The more complicated compounds also naturally take longer to manufacture within a plant so in theory facilitating a longer 'growing season' will lead to better yields of oils.

This is certainly the case in our canola crops. The longer the season the better the oil yields we attain. Its also the case in our dryland sandalwood trees. They produce oil rich nuts and in drought years oil levels are significantly lower than in those years where rainfall is average or above average. Similarly the fatty acid profile in that oil is greatly affected by seasonal influences. Levels of the more complicated, longer chain fatty acids are significantly reduced in drought years.

So I find it hard to believe anybody that tries to tell me that environmental influences do NOT affect levels of cannabinoids in hemp/cannabis plants and it is largely a function of genetics/strains.

Santalum

Hello OC. Are you out there my friend? Just wondering whether you have had a chance to get your Satori/Finola F1s tested for CBD content and if so whether that might give others an idea of the likely CBD 'uptick' that could be expected crossing any old cannabis female with a Finola male? What would it cost you to get it to a reputable lab? Maybe we could share costs as good information to be had for those of us without testing capacity in our own countries? Thanks

oldchuck

Veteran
I would dearly love to put actual numbers to this experiment, Sant, but my options are very limited. I live in a very small state with no relevant labs that I know of. Sending a sample to another state is a problem. My own testing device is still not working. I hope to figure out a way eventually.

Santalum

Gday OC, Was wondering whether you have tried vaping any hemp purely for CBD? Elixinol are telling me that 100mg CBD delivered via food you lose 90% of it, so the equivalent of 10mg sublingually. Interestingly they claim that 1mg obtained through the lungs is as beneficial as 10mg sublingually. By that theory vaping of hemp should have immense therapeutic benefits, especially for those suffering seizure disorders?

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Good for you, Sant! Glad you pulled it off. Looking forward to your observations.

No, I have not vaped the Finola or the crosses. Nor have I smoked any. I have tried boiling off all the alcohol and adding back a little coconut oil then putting it capsules. The caps do not do what I had hoped which is to get a consistent dose in my blood all the time. I guess it is the lack of bioavailability through the digestive system. The problem with vaping is the same basically as with sub lingual: it doesn't last long enough to give 24/7 protection. It is an emergency treatment used when the beginning of a seizure is detected. It doesn't prevent the seizure, only stops it after it starts. I'm after prevention. Maybe a much bigger dose once I have the raw material.

Popped any of those seeds yet?

Santalum

Yes it is a good point to keep front of mind. No substitute for volume in the blood. Hopefully the technology on vape pens will continue to innovate for rescue remedy needs in older sufferers.

Last edited:

Santalum

Have been thinking some more OC. Is tacking the way to go? Solvent extracted resins are so sticky they literally stick to gums and take hours to 'dissolve'.

Do you think it would be possible to feminized seed on a short season variety like finola?

oldchuck

Veteran
Tacking for your kid? I've never done it but it might work. Sticky extract seems to dissolve pretty well in saliva (licked my fingers).

I've never done feminizing either but I don't see any reason why you can't.

Santalum

Gday OC. Here is a link at 420 on tacking RSO. But presumably the same theory could work for a RSHO and sustained release of CBD for epilepsy control?

oldchuck

Veteran
I've read that guy. He is almost an institution over there. Your mileage may vary.

I think I prefer the alcohol tincture because I can use it very quickly. Another non-digestive method is suppository. Not to my taste either but maybe useful for a kid.

Latest posts

Latest posts