What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DO NOT USE VINEGAR TO ADJUST PH - Why not to use vinegar as your pH down

agengineer84

Well, I know this discussion is a tad aged, but I noticed there's something I feel would be beneficial to be mentioned.
For relevancy's sake, I'm an agricultural Engineer, (college '04-'08) ya it's a complicated explanation so you're just gunna have to trust me on this.
Started doing ebb and flow in '05, the veteran grower I learned from taught me to refresh nutrients and water every week. Reason being, yes organic nutrients and water will change ph over time naturally, plus the ppm will as well as your plants take up what they can use and things get caught in the medium or remain on the table after draining and attach themselves to the surface of things. So your solution can and likely will become "unbalanced" and I've tested this, results were that after a week, a rapid decline in ppm and ratios of different beneficial compounds became what I'd call "wacky", which varied slightly depending on strain, light duration, humidity, room temp, initial ph, veg/bloom cycle, and (now days) I discovered LED lights reduce some of this fluctuation ever so slightly.
I can't speak on non organic systems. I never understood why someone would not use organic for something they put into their body, but I'm not going to hate or preach. I can only suggest, new water and nutrients every week, no matter what and you will have happy plants.... but I'm just a plant engineer that's grown pot for around 20 years.
I'm open to accepting I'm old, my methods may be a thing of the past, and you're totally free to do what you want, wtf do I know right? That's cool with me guys. I see many experienced growers here, maybe I missed it, but I was surprised I didn't see water change times in the comments.
Best wishes to you all, happy growing.

Nannymouse

I used to use vinegar, but have gone to using GH down. Maybe it's the fact that there are fewer flies during our winter, or if using the 'down' is less attractive to flying creatures. All the houseplants seem to like the change.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
The question should be why are you adjusting ph at all?
Given the vast amount of fertilizers that are correctly ph'd to start with why buy something specifically designed to not work right?
I have always wondered that.
If the ferts are specifically for cannabises they would have the correct ph........

goingrey

The question should be why are you adjusting ph at all?
Given the vast amount of fertilizers that are correctly ph'd to start with why buy something specifically designed to not work right?
I have always wondered that.
If the ferts are specifically for cannabises they would have the correct ph........
For all systems:

Everyone isn't using RO water (most people probably not), so the starting point differs.

For recirculating systems systems:

pH in the nutrient solution rises as plants use up nutrients and EC goes down. Or if the solution is too strong the plants use up water and the pH goes down as the EC increases.

Roots excrete anions making the nutrient solution more alkaline and cations making the nutrient solution more acidic.