What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Babba's Veggie Garden

Madjag

Veteran
Garlic

Garlic

what is the secret to growing garlic anyway? this was my most sucessful year and all I got was small bulbs that are suitable for replanting. The "leafs" yeillowed and the stems got fragile and fell over and looked like some white stuff on the stems and then they browned and died. such a promising start with being able to plant some stuff in late march when normally that does not happen to may, but little to show for it so far. Some beans, zukes, and plenty of greens but most other stuff has done mediocre so far.

hey Nor,

Since you mention that many of your plantos have been mediocre so far, it could be your soil. Our garlic was small, then medium, then large over 3 successive years of improving the soil.

We plant our garlic in October and harvest in late May/early June.

Our soil amendments are:
- worm castings (as much as you can afford)(find a cheaper local source if you can)
- rock dust (ground basalt to micron size for best absorption, contains 60+ trace elements)
- seaweed
- hay/autumn leaves/aged manure (builds soil aeration and compost)
- bone meal and blood meal (light applications during veg and bloom)
- Worm tea (full of beneficial bacteria, make it yourself or get local)

We do not turn our soil each year. After studying mycorrhizae and the delicate web of bacteria just below the surface in great soil and roots, we merely add to the soil and let it decompose and richen)

In biodynamic raised beds you can do the same and have better control at filling spaces tightly for highest yield.

The best rock dust and OMRI-rated worm castings:
www.agrowinn.com (if you call ask for George)

Peace,
MJ

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hey Nor,
We do not turn our soil each year. After studying mycorrhizae and the delicate web of bacteria just below the surface in great soil and roots, we merely add to the soil and let it decompose and richen)
[/URL] (if you call ask for George)
MJ
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=35034&pictureid=924068&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

interesting... we usually plant winter rye in the fall and and in the spring we add compost n till... every farm we see tills every spring... tho not saying thats correct, only that it seems most everyone tills.. peace

Madjag

Veteran
The Soil Web of Beneficial Organisms

The Soil Web of Beneficial Organisms

interesting... we usually plant winter rye in the fall and and in the spring we add compost n till... every farm we see tills every spring... tho not saying thats correct, only that it seems most everyone tills.. peace

That's less important in tillage crops like rye, wheat, etc.

In small to medium gardens no till is practiced for keeping the soil web intact. Turning a little furrow on the surface for planting a row of carrots and other row crops is considered fine. It's the deep tilling and turning over clumps of soil that disturbs this delicate web of beneficial soil organisms. It won't kill them all, it just sets them back.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We have always tilled our garden before planting, never thought it would break the soil down.
We add all our soil from the indoor grow, have for years....some veggies have a hard time getting started, wonder if that might be part of it?
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Made a little salsa today....its an all day event thats for sure but soooo worth it!

Hope everyone is enjoying the last days of summer...can deff tell its changing!

picture.php

picture.php

Nice stash of salsa!!

We make our spaghetti sauce and salsa tomorrow!! pretty pumped to have the harvest delt with.

Hope everyone is having a good harvest!! I know this year was good for us.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
We have always tilled our garden before planting, never thought it would break the soil down.
We add all our soil from the indoor grow, have for years....some veggies have a hard time getting started, wonder if that might be part of it?
Thanks for all the input everyone!

first of all, I'm sorry I missed this thread till now. Great garden you got there, Mrs. B! I'll sure follow this thread from now on. :lurk:

Tillage is one of the main causes of soil erosion, and, in time, it leads to poorer soil with reduced water retention capabilities. Adding organic matter every year (or every second year) and keeping a generous layer of mulch over your soil can protect and improve you soil qualities. This could help (4 page article): http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2004-02-01/Ruth-Stouts-System.aspx

Good luck! :wave:

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got one of these in My corn this year. Its called a Corn Smut and is a fungus growth attacking the ear of corn. Its considered a delicacy in Mexico, not sure if I'm up for trying it myself.

Attachments

• cornsmut.jpg
    cornsmut.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 16

supermanlives

Veteran
corn smut is delicious try it. sort of like a funky mushroom.my garden looks like shit. i started really early tho and now plants in containers are rootbound an lookin like crap. gonna kill em all and plant my winter crops.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yea superman???...whats it taste like? corn? Looks kinda mushroomy, never heard of them before.

supermanlives

Veteran
they are good to me. like a earthy funky mushroom. but i eat just about anything . ya they are big in mexico where i first tried em long ago.i used to go to mexico alot years back not any more. if you get the chance try em . you will be suprised. well i was .man i need to get my garden done got a block party coming up.gona start the snow peas tomorrow. love them mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

corwinlame

Amazing to see the images of Babba's Vegetable Yard. It seems something becoming there in that garden. I am also considering to make my own veggie garden.

Latest posts

Latest posts